UK theme parks from another point of view!

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Last Film You Watched and Your Rating

Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:23 pm

Zombieland (2009) - 10/10

I actually love this film, it is the perfect mixture of horror and comedy. It is balenced so well, and they are several laugh out loud moments, as well as so monents you may yell in shock - due to some great 'JUMP!' moments. The zombies are actually quite gross, yet realistic. This is a great halloween movie. A must watch!

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) - 8.5/10

This film is a halloween or christmas classic in my opinion. This is definitely one of Tim Burton and Disney's best films ever made. The characters are great, and so is the stroy. And of course, the songs are great - and make the film. Especially What's This and This Is Halloween. A great family halloween or christmas movie!
Creds to NemesisRider!

Scarefest 2017 Hype Kicking in... all because of Rita Fan

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:34 pm

Suicide Squad

Zach Snyder strikes again!
Although Suicide Squad wasn't half as mediocre as expected, it's still me second to least favourite blockbuster of the year so far, being beaten (funnily enough) by Batman v Superman. The film was two separate entity's that were badly edited with a complete mess of a story, but there was some humour and I understood what was happening after the first 45 minute music video! ;)

Suicide Squad gets 5/10 from me.

Nerve

Now I went into this with no expectations, and I must admit the first 30 minutes or so had me bored and thinking "ugh another teen flick.". Then the rest of the film came along and well, this is one of the tensest films I've seen recently! Whilst some aspects were predictable, there was still one minor throw off at the end which I liked. The colours were beautiful and the cinematography was very well done.

Nerve gets 8/10 from me.

DeanC
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:08 pm

Don't Breathe

Had high expectations for this thriller/horror home invasion movie due to the great reviews. Was not disappointed at all! Extremely suspenseful and had me holding my breath for so long at some points. Doesn't overly rely on jump scares which is good and when they were used they were extremely effective. Love this film overall especially the shocking twist at the end...I won't give anything away :D

8/10!

Lights Out

Another horror film I recently watched. After watching the original Lights Out short film I was eagerly waiting for the full length feature film to come out. Some amazing effects used in this film and loved the characters however plot lacked a bit partially due to a screen time of only 80 mins! Overall good film with some creative scares, definitely plays on fear of the dark.

7/10!
DeanC

Favourite Rides: Maverick (Cedar Point), Nemesis, and Submission (RIP :()

simononestop
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:42 am

Last film I watched was

13 hours

True story - A security team who fight to defend the American diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya after waves of terrorist attacks on September 11

Wasn't a bad Sunday afternoon film. a lot better than I thought it would be. Bit like American sniper 8 / 10

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:16 pm

Keeping Up with the Joneses - 2/10

By far, the worst film I have seen this year! The film is basically a 'knock-off' of Bad Neighbours and Spy. The jokes are just cringey, and mostly just sexual innuendos, the acting is not at all oscar worthy, and the film just seemed very cheap and tacky. I guess the entire plot of the film is okay, but VERY predictable. I wouldn't recommend you wasted your money on seeing this film and pretty much all the main jokes are in the trailer!
Creds to NemesisRider!

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:58 am

Sausage Party

Oh no. Unfortunately for me, if you've seen the trailer you've seen pretty much the whole film (but funnier). It seems as though most the 'jokes' were the fact food were dropping f bombs, and after the 40th one in 20 minutes it got a little old unfortunately.

I wanted to love this but I give it a 4/10

JonDoesTT
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:47 pm

Owen wrote:
Suicide Squad

Zach Snyder strikes again!
Although Suicide Squad wasn't half as mediocre as expected, it's still me second to least favourite blockbuster of the year so far, being beaten (funnily enough) by Batman v Superman. The film was two separate entity's that were badly edited with a complete mess of a story, but there was some humour and I understood what was happening after the first 45 minute music video! ;)

Suicide Squad gets 5/10 from me.

(It wasn't Zack Snyder ;) )

I love Suicide Squad. It's a great film with great characters, and it was a clever way of introducing slightly unusual villains such as Slipknot and Captain Boomerang to the DCEU, and making more people aware of them. The story was fine, and it was made to look very comic book like, which is alright. I wanted the film to have a darker tone, like BvS, because the story would have been much much better, and they could still have included humor. Unfortunately, though, WB edited a lot of the film out and gave it a different tone, which is also what they did to BvS, meaning a lot of people didn't like it and that we have another 'extended cut', which is what we should have seen in the cinema, even if it is a lot better.

Overall, a 7.5/10

Credit to NemesisRider

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:03 pm

JonDoesTT wrote:
(It wasn't Zack Snyder ;))

He produced it and helped a lot with the movies final cut like all upcoming DC movies. Directing is only a small part of movie making, hence why he's dubbed the DCEU the "Snyder-verse" ;)

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:27 am

Doctor Strange- 7/10

This was an alright film with very good special effects and CGI as well as some good concepts. However, it went below my expectations from the lack of good humour, very confusing storyline with time traveling and lack of character development

TinkerGem
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:25 am

The Rocky Horror Picture Show: Lets do the Time Warp again

1/10

It just didn't work for me. The actors are trying so hard to replicate the performances of the original cast that they come off as overacted parodies. I hated what they have done to the songs, they completely ruined Time Warp, and I just didn't get why they kept pulling out to a theater full of Goths and Bikers. Surely the audience at a showing of Rocky Horror would be in costume.

I made it halfway through and turned it off to watch the original.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:20 pm

Now You See Me 2: 7/10

I adore the first film as I thought it was awesome and so clever, but this one didn't have quite the wow factor. There is a couple of really clever tricks, but no where near as many as the first film. The storyline is ok, but nothing worth shouting about.

X-Men Apocalypse : 8/10

I enjoyed the film but also felt a little let down by the story. The Apocalypse storyline is one of my favourite from the X-men universe, but the film just felt a bit flat in terms of story telling. The effects, as always, are spectacular though.

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:10 am

Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them

I went into this with no explanations after avoiding a fair amount of recent advertising. I was very excited but as said, I had no idea what to expect.

All I can say is wow. This is by far the best 'wizarding world' movie with the main danger being much more scary and impactful than Voldemort was in the entire Harry Potter franchise. Whilst I find many big movies to be predictable, the main twist in this wasn't at all and it truly gave me chills in how it was revealed. The acting from everyone is exceptional, and the story is so incredibly engaging. The CGI in this looks natural to the point on occasions I forgot that these beasts were fake, and the magic looks better than ever. The film had me crying with laughter as well as creeped out without the use of jump scares (although there are some present). This film goes into topics and places you wouldn't expect and it makes the whole film have a much scarier tone - if you're expecting people to die by being hit by some green light in this, you will be very surprised!

Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Thrm is a truely outstanding movie sunday, in my opinion, has no rivals not only in november but through the entirety of 2016. I give this my first (and only) 10/10 of 2016!

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:24 pm

Wow, wow, wow. I certainly wasn't expecting the film 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' to be such a disappointing film. It probably is my worst non-cgi central (this excludes BFG) film as well as being really overrated.

Let me tell you firstly, I was expecting an alright film. I watched the main trailers but I didn't search anything before watching the film. However, I have been left feeling like I watched a film worse than ghostbusters (which I found alright and rated 7/10).

The positives:
- Mostly good-looking CGI which did mostly look quite real and natural
- Some good characters like Newt and Jacob Kowalski with enjoyable acting
- Very enjoyable first half until the middle section
- Good costumes used, even for extras
- Some good jokes, but needed more or none as it didn't continue the story's flow

Negatives:
- Some of the character were not good enough for the film. I found Porpentina Tina Goldstein and Queenie Goldstein both quite boring and bland. For both Percival Grave and Credence Barebone, I couldn't really understand who and what they were supposed to be. President Seraphina Picquery lacked power and control over the characters as though she was equal to them.
- The plot was one of the worst for JK Rowling. From about halfway in the film, I was getting confused about what was going on and why it was happening. Like the musical Les Miserables (which I didn't enjoy), I came to a point where I decided it was too confusing to follow and just watched it, without understanding the true story. When I arrived home tonight, after watching the film, I immediately searched up the film on wikipedia in the hope that I could understand what really went on. Fortunately, I was able to gain a better understanding but in my eyes, it is a huge flaw that I had to do this. This point leads me to my next negative...
- The final fighting scene was just far too confusing, after I had completed misunderstood what was going on. I simply could not understand who the villain was and why everything was happening the way it was. In my eyes, it was a total mess, with things happening for no logic explanation. Another thing I noticed was the large similarities with doctor strange in what happens.
- I don't know what plot twist was involved because I didn't find it creepy or scary whatsoever. It must have been something small because it was unnoticed by me.

It pains me to say this for such a major film but I have to rate it one of the lowest ratings I have given this year. Doctor Strange is a fairly similar film with similar use of CGI/ action, so comparing the two films, Doctor Strange is the far superior film. Even comparing Fantastic Beasts to Harry potter, it lacks any charm and character, as well as not having a main specific point which one could easily recognise with the film like Hogwarts or Kings Cross. For the reasons mentioned in the review my overall rating for the film is:

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them- 6.5/10 :(

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:38 pm

Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them - 5/10

I believe this was a spin-off then followed to be a trilogy but now is consisting of five movies and as such WB/Rowling's story they wanted to tell has changed over the course of time.

It's clear from Rowling herself that she now wants to tell the Albus Dumbledore / Grindelwald storyline over the five movies which then makes me question what the purpose of this movie is. (see my avatar, that was the face I made)

As a standalone movie without Grindelwald / Credance it would of been a nice charming entry away from the doom & gloom surrounding the HP films. However they make you watch a two hour movie in which you're probably not likely to see any of these characters again in a huge role in the subsequent movies.

And for those who pay close attention to the HP movies you could figure out the plot twist simply by seeing the necklace symbol given to Credance.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:42 pm

Oldboy

An interesting Korean film with some dark themes. Although complicated at first as the story developed I began to appreciate its narrative structure and story.Although I enjoyed this film the overall climax I found quite unsetteling and unnecessary, due to the excessive violence and disturbing love interests.

7/10 from me!

(This film contains disturbing scenes and relationships)

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:59 pm

Very quick review because I am saving it for an end of year 2016 film review/list but anyway...

Moana-8/10

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:47 pm

Ab Fab The Movie - 8/10

This was one of the films I was most looking forward to seeing this year, and now that I have, I can say I was a tiny bit let down by it. Don't get me wrong, I love Ab Fab to bits and its always so funny, I just felt it wasn't as funny as it could have been. It was still quite funny though and Patsy is literally the best.

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:21 pm

Sully - 9/10

This film I was really anticipating before seeing and had VERY high expectations, and I definitely exceeded expectations. It's based on a true story, which I'm sure most users will remember being on the news. Tom Hanks plays Sully really well, and all the actors give it their all, and its very convincing. The general tone of the film is very serious and written in 'black & white', and not over 'hollywood-blockbusterised' which was a major plus. I'd recommend you bring a tissue, as the main scene is hard hitting, yet incredible - hats off to sully! Definitely up there with some of the better films this year, so therefore I can seriously see this films being up for several oscars.

Before the end of the year i'm hoping to see Moana, Rouge One, Fantastic Beasts, Office Christmas Party and Allied. Then in early 2017, Sing!
Creds to NemesisRider!

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:42 pm

Rouge One: A Star Wars Story - 8.7/10

Let's just say I now forgive Gareth Edwards directing Godzilla. So Rouge One is the spinoff/inbetiquel in the Star Wars universe and it's a dam good one. It follows the premise of the rebels trying to get the plans for the Death Star.

First off, the action is superb, it makes you genuinely want the heros to pull through and win. The characters are very cool,
Spoiler!
(especially Vader)
the music (even though not done by John Williams) is very good, the visuals are great and the ending is brilliant, it is genuinely emotional and raps brilliantly into A New Hope.

The only negative thing I can think about is at the beginning, the film goes too quickly and just gets to the point, not giving it time to develop. That's all.

Overall, Rogue One is a definite must watch and I highly recommend it!

Pros:
- WOW, the action
- Cool characters
- The music
- The Visuals
- Emotional ending and how it all comes together

Cons:
- Pacing at the start
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member