Wow, wow, wow. I certainly wasn't expecting the film 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them'
to be such a disappointing film. It probably is my worst non-cgi central (this excludes BFG) film as well as being really overrated.
Let me tell you firstly, I was expecting an alright film. I watched the main trailers but I didn't search anything before watching the film. However, I have been left feeling like I watched a film worse than ghostbusters (which I found alright and rated 7/10).
- Mostly good-looking CGI which did mostly look quite real and natural
good characters like Newt and Jacob Kowalski with enjoyable acting
- Very enjoyable first half until the middle section
- Good costumes used, even for extras
- Some good jokes, but needed more or none as it didn't continue the story's flow
- Some of the character were not good enough for the film. I found Porpentina Tina Goldstein and Queenie Goldstein both quite boring and bland. For both Percival Grave and Credence Barebone, I couldn't really understand who and what they were supposed to be. President Seraphina Picquery lacked power and control over the characters as though she was equal to them.
- The plot was one of the worst for JK Rowling. From about halfway in the film, I was getting confused about what was going on and why it was happening. Like the musical Les Miserables (which I didn't enjoy), I came to a point where I decided it was too confusing to follow and just watched it, without understanding the true story. When I arrived home tonight, after watching the film, I immediately searched up the film on wikipedia in the hope that I could understand what really went on. Fortunately, I was able to gain a better understanding but in my eyes, it is a huge flaw that I had to do this. This point leads me to my next negative...
- The final fighting scene was just far too confusing, after I had completed misunderstood what was going on. I simply could not understand who the villain was and why everything was happening the way it was. In my eyes, it was a total mess, with things happening for no logic explanation. Another thing I noticed was the large similarities with doctor strange in what happens.
- I don't know what plot twist was involved because I didn't find it creepy or scary whatsoever. It must have been something small because it was unnoticed by me.
It pains me to say this for such a major film but I have to rate it one of the lowest ratings I have given this year. Doctor Strange is a fairly similar film with similar use of CGI/ action, so comparing the two films, Doctor Strange is the far superior film. Even comparing Fantastic Beasts to Harry potter, it lacks any charm and character, as well as not having a main specific point which one could easily recognise with the film like Hogwarts or Kings Cross. For the reasons mentioned in the review my overall rating for the film is:
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them- 6.5/10