UK theme parks from another point of view!

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Last Film You Watched and Your Rating

Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:36 pm

Assassins Creed - 4.8/10

Wa Waaaaaaaa, another bad video game movie.

The film is about, Cal Lynch who travels back in time to 15th-century Spain through a revolutionary technology that unlocks the genetic memories contained in his DNA, linking him to a descendant who was a member of the group the "Assassins".

First off, I should talk about some good things with the film. When its in the past, some of the action is very good, you could tell lots of practice went into it. There was a cool female assassin who I was rooting for and some of the set pieces were cool.

But there are a lot of negatives. When they do go into the past (which isn't that often) they keep on cutting to the future, the editing is horrible, plot points don't make sense, there is a lot of 'getting to the point' moments and not giving it time to flesh out, bad CGI, too many nods to the eagles from the game and somehow they managed to make the leap of faith look boring.

Overall, don't bother seeing this, go watch Rouge One instead.

Pros:
- Action
- Set Pieces
- Cool side character

Cons:
- Editing
- CGI
- Plot points
- To many nods to the game
- Made the leap of faith look boring.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:34 pm

Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them - 9.5/10

Before seeing the film I went in fairly blind, only seeing very few reviews online and not hearing any spoilers! And I was genuinely breath taken by this film! I absolutely loved the characters, as well as the beasts and odd creatures. The plot of the story was interesting, and not predictable - which helped the film flow. The running time of the film was just about right, any longer I felt it would've dragged out a bit! Finally, this is by far the darkest film in the wizarding world - and it works a treat! I am looking forward to see what Universal do in their parks with this ip (if they do anything), as it has been out for just over 2 months, and the cinema was still full!! I would definitely recommend you see this film!
Creds to NemesisRider!

Scarefest 2017 Hype Kicking in... all because of Rita Fan

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:19 pm

Why is it I keep seeing awful films? Today I saw...
Monster Trucks- 4/10

Positives:
- Mostly good CGI
- A quite good soundtrack and music
- Great special effects
- Funny vomit shot (looked awful but hilarious)

Negatives:
- Awful plotline which was absolutely ridiculous (not on a good way)
- Awful villain who never had a reason behind his aims
- The creatures were a bit bland and boring in the way they look
- Nearly all of the time not funny

Now, a day late, my 2016 film awards for the 20+ films I have seen this year...

Best film- Rouge One: A Star Wars Story
Worst film- The BFG
Best musical- Moana
Worst musical- Trolls
Best animated film- Finding Dory
Most boring film- Me Before You
The meh award- Ghostbusters
Most disappointing (overrated)- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Funniest film- My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2

PasajeDelTerrorFan
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:39 pm

Last film i saw was Moana. probably my favourite film of the year. visuals were stunning, the storyline was gripping, the film overall was wonderful. 10/10
Beyond the limits of fear ..... Pasaje Del Terror.... Live your own horror movie!

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:34 pm

I can't be the only one finding the constant typo of 'Rouge One' amusing? From blockbuster Star Wars flick to low budget French art film with the movement of one letter. ;)

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:25 pm

Today, I saw my favourite film of 2017 but that means very little, bearing in mind the only other film I have seen this year is the disastrous Monster Trucks.The film that I watched was Sing and the question is, was it pitch perfect or did it fall flat?

Sadly, it fell flat for me as a sub-par version of the amazing Zooptoia. I found the film suffered from very similar issues from secret life of pets, which I disliked.

Positives:
- Very good animation throughout. It was certainly no where as near as good as Zooptoia for city scenes but it could have been far worse.
- Mostly good singing. I definitely would have liked more unique songs for the film but I mean most of the signing was on pitch
- Some nice ideas in the film, but as I mention later they don't always work.
- By far, the most entertaining characters were the German pig and the pig mother. The rest were forgettable

Negatives
- Humour wasn't the best, not even better than Moana. Virtually every single joke was said in the trailers or were simply not funny. It really shouldn't be farting of a character saying how he might have run over his dad that gets the biggest laughs
- Characters had the capability for being so much better but I was stuck with half developed characters who could have had more detailed stories. The bank woman and famous actress lacked any energy.
- Far, far too many major characters and stories. I counted 6 different stories which just made it feel messy and confusing
- The transit between the beginning stories was rushed and could make someone feel a bit sick
- Awful ending with songs just being sung and the odd not at all sad thing. It could have been far more interesting if there was a large group number
- No major villain or sense of proper danger at the end
- A major issue for me was the concept and the story. The beginning made sense but as it progressed I was really confused as to what was actually going on. I couldn't tell if the talent show was the musical or they were finding people for a musical.

I know the animation was good but the film's flaws didn't leave me singing with joy at the end. It was a wasted opportunity, which could have been a fantastic film.

Sing- 5.5/10

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:05 pm

So over the last few weeks I've been to watch some flicks.

Seen La La Land three times, even teared up, no shame. 10/10

I absolutely love this movie, it may be because of my age compared to some of our younger members this movie really spoke to me and I found it relatable. See spoiler for more in depth summary of why I loved it.

Spoiler!
The movie is about the relationship of Mia & Sebastian two people who meet by chance on several occasions but also about following your own dreams & aspirations and how that can sometimes become a very real issue in a relationship. Sebastian encourages Mia to follow her dream despite acting careers being very brutal, he never gives up on her and her pursuit of a big break and wants her to succeed.

In the end he makes the ultimate sacrifice, he loves her so much he doesn't want to get in the way of her dreams with the movie concluding with them by chance crossing paths once again some years later now gone their separate ways and what follows is a segment where it shows what would of happened with Sebastian now being in place of her current husband. We all have that "What if.." moments in life especially in love.

Sometimes in love you do have to make those decisions. Holding someone back from their goals in life is selfish and do you really love them if you don't want them to succeed and be the best person they can possibly be?

Because I believe this to be a love story that'll be timeless, you can watch it some 20 years from now and still find relevance, meaning & it relatable then I think this'll grab the best picture Oscar

Hacksaw Ridge - 6/10

This one took a while to get going, takes a brave man to stand up for what he believes in and to go into war with nothing to protect yourself. Not really got much more to say about it, he stood up for what he believed in and saved his comrades, admirable.

Silence - 7/10

A long winded movie about Christianity something I personally hold no interest in or acknowledge. While the Japanese were quite brutal in culling the converted Christians & the priests in some ways I kind of understand why. The Japanese didn't truly hate the Christianity religion but studied it greatly and found it had no place in Japan and when priests came across preaching to the Japanese and trying to make it a Christian Japan of course they'll be retaliation as the Japanese have their own beliefs.

Silence is the perfect title of this movie as these priests were defiant and prayed and got nothing back.

Split - 9/10

James McAvoy is mesmerizing in this movie, I admire an actor who can play various roles in a single movie with such distinction. He commands the screen and he makes the movie! And on top of all that finally a decent M. Night Shymalan movie both written/directed, It's been soooooo long.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:03 am

Yesterday evening, I saw one of my most anticipated films of 2017- The Lego Batman Movie. After all the hype and fantastic trailers, would it be a hit and soar in the skies like a bat or be as large of a disappointment for me as Sing?

Positives
- Very good solid animation throughout, achieving a constant sense of it could be built in Lego
- Amazing voice work by especially Will Arnett as Batman, Michael Cera as Robin and Ralph Fiennes as Alfred Pennyworth
- Fantastic humour that is just plain funny. Best joke for me was Batman's password which is 'Iron Man sucks' (if you don't get it, the film was dc and marvel owns Iron Man)
- Very unique and original storyline about the Joker

Negatives
- Maybe would have been nicer to have the
Spoiler!
batgirl come out earlier but still an interesting character

- The theme song and music played in the first battle I didn't love but at least, it was an original piece of music. AHEM SING
- Maybe have a stronger voice actor for the Joker who could sound less nice perhaps

Despite some of the negatives, the Lego Batman Movie delivers a fantastic 1.75 hour long enjoyable film which I even prefer to the original Lego Movie!
The Lego Batman Movie- 9/10

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:43 pm

The Great Wall - 3.9/10

Fun Fact: This is Trump's favourite film.

The Great Wall is about a supposed "Real" legend about the Great Wall of China and hahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha!!!!! What.

Ok good things...... The costumes are pretty cool I guess...... Ummmmm...... Some smart tactics are used..... I think thats it.....

Negatives. Even though the costumes are cool, they look like Power Rangers outfits. Effects are kinda silly, the action is just weird, poor acting, characters unlikeable and the films just boring....

Soooooo don't watch it.

Pros:
- Cool costumes
- Smart tactics

Cons:
- Pretty much everything....

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:22 am

Krrish 3 - 11/10 Best Movie Ever.

Last night I was like, "You know what? I'm going to watch a Bollywood movie" and it has probably been the best decision I've ever made in my life.

So the movie I chose was Krrish 3, the third movie in the Indian super hero franchise "Krrish" (I haven't seen any of the previous films or any Bollywood film in general) and not going to lie, it was one of the best film experiences I've ever had.

It's ridiculous, it's weird, it's bad, yet it's awesome. Everything is so random, it goes from ridiculous action scenes, to a massive musical number, to an evil villains base, to human/animal hybrids, to ice-cream, to action, to a life threatening illness, to a musical, etc...

The editing is horrible, some sounds are removed entirely, they go from speaking Indian to English all the time, plot twists happen all the time, they use stock sound effects, yet it's one of the most hilarious things I've ever watched.

If you are looking for a hilarious movie to watch with friends, I'd highly recommend this.

Pros:
- Everything

Cons:
- Everything

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:50 am

A Cure For Wellness - 6.5/10

Visually lush, great sound to build suspense & atmosphere however the story is where it lacks, it takes a sick twist at the end which probably is the sole reason this has been slapped an 18 rating.

Logan - 8/10

I'll be the first to admit I don't usually like superhero movies and the marketing for this was kinda bland if I say so myself (it kept all of the spoilers and good parts out, very rare nowadays in marketing). However after having purchased a ticket a second time I decided to go watch it and I wasn't disappointed. Action was gritty and fast paced, packs emotion and a few subtle comedy moments. Laura is just on another level. A fitting conclusion to the Hugh Jackman era of Wolverine.

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:40 pm

I am feeling a bit lazy as I never posted anything last week but I give Beauty and the Beast-9/10. It was magical and beautiful to watch but it would have been nicer to see a bit more comedy and perhaps some better CGI

Today I gave Power Rangers- 7/10 because despite some nice action sequences, it was very slow moving, Rita had quite a minor part and was very predictable.

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:50 pm

Power Rangers - 8.5/10

Went into this film expecting a fairly 'meh' film. But left the film pretty blown away and wanting more!

The characters were all great, despite they spent a long time 'introducing' them. And I liked how they all came from different backgrounds and nationalities as well.

The plot was fairly predictable, yet really good as well. And I like how moral the films was as well, like teamwork, and friendships.

And the action scenes were really exciting to watch and fairly intense for a 12A

Fingers crossed they do a second one!!
Creds to NemesisRider!

Scarefest 2017 Hype Kicking in... all because of Rita Fan

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:43 pm

Fate of the Furious/Fast and Furious 8 - 8/10

I don't usually like big, over the top action movies, however the Fast and Furious franchise I find so over the top, that its insanely entertaining. If you are a fan of physics, you'll hate this, as its so unrealistic. But if you want a big, dumb, fun movie to see, this is it.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 12, 2017 3:49 am

Alien: Covenant - 6/10

Much like the Star Wars franchise you have to try (its hard I know) to not compare these entries (Prometheus / Covenant) against the fantastic movies that were Alien & Aliens because if you do you'll be disappointed. It has been a long time since those and unfortunately storytelling on screen is very different now.

If you are planning to see this having a refresh of Prometheus before you go is suggested just so its fresh in your mind as this is a continuation from that and if you wondered where Prometheus was heading this should wrap that up nicely.

At all costs try and avoid the online prologue that's been floating around for a few weeks now because that is a big red spoiler alert for Covenant. If you want to at least have a semi-surprised twist to the story just avoid as much as you can but needless to say they are pretty easy to figure out on your own when watching on-the-go anyway.

The first hour or so is quite bland setting the film up with a new crew on a new mission but the second half is decent enough. Practical costumed Xenomorphs are sorely missed here and while there is that lovely shot of the Xenomorph trying to break through the glass in the trailers the rest for the most part you can tell is really mediocre CGI at best. And I'd like to mention most of the footage regarding the "fully grown" Xenomorph has already been seen in the trailers.

The true beacon of both of these prequel movies is Michael Fassbender, if it weren't for him these movies would be easily passable as the trash following Aliens. He again gives a magnificent performance as the androids, truly mesmerizing to watch.

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat May 13, 2017 9:32 am

Firstly here are some films I've had a slight change of heart to since rewatching them...

Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them - 7/10
Suicide Squad - 3/10

-----------------

Get Out

Get Out is a 'horror movie' that tackles the issue of racism in a not so subtle way. The movie begins with a scene that I'm not sure makes sense to the rest of the film, but I think it's just trying to hammer home the idea that this is supposed to be a scary film!

After we get past the random beginnings the movie is somewhat resemblant of a standard rom-com, with the couple at the centre of the drama discussing their upcoming trip to her parents house. Essentially this is a mixture of pre-judgement from 'Chris' and "oh don't be silly! They aren't like that!" from his girlfriend 'Rose'.

After we get into the middle of the movie, you'd never guess what. He was right! The next 40 or so minutes is pretty much filled with uncomfortable 'under the table' racism and paranoid episodes from Chris. The final act of the movie is a change of lane, but the issue is it relies on plot twists to be shocking. Unfortunately I found that Get Out hinted way too much at these twists, and I'd guessed them half way through the movie. Other than that, half an hour of bloody violence ensues and it's quite a crazy ending.

Whilst Get Out's attempt at being a horror charged by social issues was good, it's missing something. The story surrounding the film paints itself as complicated and interesting when if you really break it down it's just a standard horror film with a healthy dose of over the top racism for good measure, it also becomes clear that the reason the trailers weren't too scary is because nor is the movie. The stand out point for me would be the absolutely phenomenal acting from the family, especially from Betty Gabriel and Allison Williams who stole the show for me.

Overall it's a good movie but it leaves a lot unanswered and untouched. For that reason, Get Out gets a 6/10 from me.

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 20, 2017 9:47 pm

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 -10/10

Wow. What a fantastic film I just saw. It was certainly worth the wait and is probably my favourite comic book film. The humour was top notch, the CGI was absolutely stunning there and unique concepts were explored. Like the original, the music helped to create a great atmosphere throughout. If you haven't seen the film yet, go and watch it because you will have a fantastic time, like myself.

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 28, 2017 3:13 am

I've seen a tonne of films recently so I'll do a quick review for some of them.

Cabin in the Woods- 2/10
It had a nice concept but I felt it was really poorly executed, and it just wasn't scary... at all.

Creep- 7/10
Not a very well known film, popped up on Netflix one evening so I gave it a go. Great little film, pretty creepy and twisted.

127 Hours- 10/10
Very simple concept but pulled off brilliantly. It's really tense and interesting with a gruesome ending.

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 28, 2017 6:16 pm

Pirates of the Caribbean- 6.5/10

I was very excited to see this film but some major aspects of the film were absolutely atrocious, especially for a major Disney sequel.

Positives
- Absolutely beautiful music as always with the franchise. Hearing it, still continues to excite me, despite hearing it on numerous occasions.
- Visuals and special effects were very good but still matched Black Pearl, eventhough it was made over 10 years ago.

Negative​s
- For a film franchise based around pirates, comedy should be a key aspect of the film. However, there was barely anything that made me laugh or even smile. The only time I heard a faint laugh from the audience was an overused joke from the trailers.
- The last third of the film's storyline was highly disappointing and lacked any proper big moment. It was made up of constant fighting, without any proper progression throughout. The villain seemed to have been forgotten by the end and was just there. A twist at the end was also disappointing and didn't at all make me feel emotional.

Overall, only see this film if you are a true POTC fan because it is nowhere near as entertaining as Black Pearl.

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:11 pm

Wonder Woman

In recent years, DC have received a bad reputation for their films such as Batman Vs Superman and Suicide Squad. Therefore, I was interested in seeing this movie, to finally experience my first DC film. Before the film, I wasn't honestly too excited, when I watched the trailers. Personally, I thought the film looked alright but wasn't the right film I me. Sadly, I was right.

Positives
- The young Dianna performance was superb and was by far my favourite character.
- The fight scenes were quite good but weren't too imaginative.
- The music was mostly good but nothing spectacular.

Negatives
- Humour was awful and quite frankly immature. Nothing throughout made me laugh or even smile (except the product placement...)
- It was really obvious at times green screens were used. The opening minute of the film looked very CGI and quite fake/ unrealistic.
- I noticed 2 plot mistakes including something lost being suddenly worn by that character and the back story completely contradicting what happens.
- It was a bit boring and never seemed to end, leading to me constantly looking at my watch, counting the minutes until the film ended.
- The film's villain, wasn't a huge surprise and his story didn't make sense.