UK theme parks from another point of view!

We are recruiting! A fantastical opportunity has arisen for someone to join Team TTSP as a Forum Moderator. See TTSP News & Your Views for more details.

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Comedian Corner

Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:56 pm

I don't know if this is a thing already been done.

I thought to create a thread dedicated to reviews of comedian tv shows, concerts or any news to do with comedians. Comedy is a fantastic art and going to see one is immense wether it be a big arena tour or a bar gig. From tv shows to tours. I would love to hear all your news, reviews and general interest in comedians!

I'm a big fan of comedians myself so I can update with any reviews I can with comedians in the future.

I recently seen Jack Whitehall on his At Large Arena tour and in the coming week seeing Russell Howard on his World Tour. As well as this, in the later part of the year, I'll be seeing John Bishop and Greg Davies.

Please feel free to share your reviews and I look forward to see your views :)

Luce
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Re: Comedian Corner

Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:16 am

I'd like to sing the praises of improvised comedy as over the last year or so my friend and I have got into not only watching it but also taking part and learning all about the different improv games you can play. I've met lots of really great people through going to these and we regularly attend a drop in class run by a local group based near me in Brighton. You get a great feeling from making things up on the spot without any script and no preparation apart from say a location is given to you or a word and from there, a scene emerges!

In fact, I've just come back from seeing some improv at a pub in London that always has some on and I had a great time and would highly recommend seeing improvised comedy :)

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Re: Comedian Corner

Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:24 am

Luce wrote:
I'd like to sing the praises of improvised comedy as over the last year or so my friend and I have got into not only watching it but also taking part and learning all about the different improv games you can play. I've met lots of really great people through going to these and we regularly attend a drop in class run by a local group based near me in Brighton. You get a great feeling from making things up on the spot without any script and no preparation apart from say a location is given to you or a word and from there, a scene emerges!

In fact, I've just come back from seeing some improv at a pub in London that always has some on and I had a great time and would highly recommend seeing improvised comedy :)

Ive never been to a improv comedy show before but I have always wanted to go. Any kind of comedy interests me and improv looks so much fun!

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Russell Howard: Round The World 17/3/17

Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:30 am

Russell Howard: Round The World Tour - Birmingham Genting Arena 17/3/17

So, after waiting just over a year a few months. I finally got to see Russell Howard on his biggest tour to date! After just completing a 10 date run at the Royal Albert Hall, Russell continues his tour and I'll be reviewing his first night of two at the Genting Arena in Birmingham!

First of all, I would like to say the set up for the gig was excellent. It was a round, circular stage in the middle of the venue with the crowd seated around him (something which Jack Whitehall did a few years ago which to my knowledge no other British comedian has done in the U.K.) You got the sense of being closer and more involved with the night as it draw along.

The support act was Steve Hall, he co-writes parts of Good News (the program Russell Howard is notably famous for hosting over the years). His routine was good, very funny and got the crowd warmed up well. He used the stage well enough but felt like he was at times standing and facing away from the crowd for too long (something which needs to be done well performing on a round central stage). Overall I enjoyed his 20 minute warm act and would look into his work further.

For the main act, it was of course Russell Howard, from the first glimpse of him skipping towards the stage, he held the energy and used it well throughout the night. His jokes were very energetic, lively and fully represented and used himself for the jokes. Of course I won't be spoiling any of the jokes or repeating them due to the nature of his material. I can briefly say his content stretches from his family, to modern day politics, raging and complaining about the world we live in today and generally trying to give everyone a glimpse on life that it isn't all doom and gloom (Refrence to his show Good News) that we can all together look out on life and see the happier and funny side to it.

Russell used the stage to his advantage well and used his energy to keep the crowd going. His content was very funny and at times relatable, but I felt that some of his jokes lacked a story to it which I feel at times does draw you In forever and at the end of the night didn't really remember any specific jokes because of this. The set lasted around 1hr 20/25 minutes which in an arena show is just under the average time. It was performed in one entire set without any intervals. I think for the amount of jokes you got to the time of the set, it was just about right but maybe lacking a bit.

Overall. Russell Howard has again excelled in creating a new live stage show for his fans which he will be taking out on the rest of his world tour this year. I enjoyed the night but left missing that little bit extra which would have made it a very satisfying comedy show.

You can catch Russell Howard on his tour in the next few months.

Rating: 7.5/10