UK theme parks from another point of view!

We are recruiting! A fantastical opportunity has arisen for someone to join Team TTSP as a Forum Moderator. See TTSP News & Your Views for more details.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Elo Coaster Ranking Project

Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:20 pm

Hi all,

There have been many attempts by various people and organisations to organise the world's greatest coasters into a single list which determines, by popular worldwide opinion, which are the very best. However, I've found many of these polls to be flawed, as they often have bias in their audiences which is not catered for in the structure of the list. Perhaps the most liked list by coaster enthusiasts were the Mitch Hawker polls. Discontinued in 2013, these annual polls required users to submit the positions of their favourite coasters and offered a list at the end of the circa. 400 steel coasters entered, in an immediate order from best to worst.

I've spent some time designing a system which, as I understand it, bears closest resemblance to the Mitch Hawker polls. The system uses the Elo scoring system commonly seen in games such as chess. If you're unfamiliar with this system, here's a brief description of it and how it will be implemented:
Every coaster starts on 1000 points. Users submit a list of their top x coasters (the number doesn't matter too much, although it's preferable that the lists are as long as possible) in order. The coasters on the list all "duel" each other, with the result being determined by whichever is higher in the list. The winner of each "duel" takes a certain number of points from the loser; this amount is between 0 and 32 and is determined by the coasters' previous ranks, ie. if a coaster with a rank 500 loses to a rank 1500, they will not lose as many points as a 500 who loses to a 500, as they were statistically less likely to win. This system is not perfect, but is probably the most fair way to do it. It's self-correcting and means that every coaster has a chance, even if not many people have ridden it.

Essentially, what would be really cool is if we could all share our lists so that I can plug these into the system. Just post a list below and I'll post regular updates on how the top 10 is shaping up. If this proves popular, accurate, and efficient, the plan is to gather lists from a variety of enthusiasts across the world from all different communities to make an ultimate worldwide list. Some friends and I have been testing this and it's proving very accurate, and can even give ratings as precise as 6 significant figures, so we'd love to get as many people involved in the project as possible.

In order to ensure a clean list, please consider the following:
  • Only "notable" coasters can be submitted. This means some family coasters will be considered too small. While exact boundaries are yet to be decided, rides such as Spinball Whizzer, Dragon's Fury, and Vampire have been accepted, whereas Rattlesnake (or indeed, any standard-layout Wild Mouse), X, The Dragon (LLW), and Runaway Mine Train have not. Hopefully this gives you a good idea of scale. If in doubt, submit the coaster anyway and we'll decide.
  • Although the system is designed such that the size of people's lists don't matter too much, we see the need to set a minimum requirement for the list of at least 15 qualifying coasters from at least three different parks. This is to ensure that we don't have loads of ballots which consist purely of coasters from Alton Towers. If your list is shorter than this, you're welcome to share it with everyone, but it will not be included. There is no upper limit on how many you can submit, but obviously you have to have ridden them all.
  • The list is wood and steel mixed.
  • When submitting a relatively obscure coaster or one where there are multiple different coasters with the same name, it's helpful to specify the park.
  • "Cloned" rides, such as Boomerangs, Standard SLCs, Batmans, Rock 'n' Roller Coasters, etc. should only be submitted once. Please choose either your favourite version or just write "[model name] clones".
  • A ride will only enter the official list once five people have submitted it. This is to prevent a single person having too much control over a coaster's position.
  • Coasters that are defunct or have been relocated from wherever you rode them can be submitted, though remember they may not meet the minimum ridership.

As an example, here's my own submitted list, which consists of the 38 qualifying coasters that I've been on:
Spoiler: show
1. Mako
2. Incredible Hulk
3. Cú Chulainn (Tayto Park)
4. Expedition Everest
5. Nemesis
6. SheiKra
7. Montu
8. Chinese Fireball (Dragon Challenge Red)
9. Kumba
10. The Swarm
11. Manta (SeaWorld Orlando)
12. The Smiler
13. Stealth
14. Olympia Looping
15. Cheetah Hunt
16. Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit!
17. SAW - The Ride
18. Hungarian Horntail (Dragon Challenge Blue)
19. Oblivion
20. Revenge Of The Mummy (Universal Studios Florida)
21. Galactica
22. Nemesis Inferno
23. Harry Potter And The Escape From Gringotts
24. Kraken
25. Th13teen
26. Scorpion (Busch Gardens Tampa)
27. Cobra's Curse
28. Rita
29. Rock 'n' Roller Coaster (Disney's Hollywood Studios)
30. Journey To Atlantis (SeaWorld Orlando)
31. Dragon's Fury
32. Space Mountain (Magic Kingdom)
33. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (Magic Kingdom)
34. Wilde Maus XXL (Travelling/Winter Wonderland)
35. Boomerang clones
36. Spinball Whizzer
37. Vampire (Chessington)
38. Colossus

I really hope we can make something out of this and grow something extraordinary starting from this community! Post your lists and/or questions below, and may the best coaster win! :)
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Elo Coaster Ranking Project

Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:31 pm

Sounds cool! Here is my list:

1. Flying Aces - Ferrari World Abu Dhabi
2. The Smiler - Alton Towers
3. The Velociraptor - IMG Worlds of Adventure (blue fire clone)
4. Madagascar: Mad Pursuit! - MotionGate Dubai
5. The Swarm - Thorpe Park
6. Nemesis - Alton Towers
7. Formula Rossa - Ferrari World Abu Dhabi
8. Inferno - Cinecitta World
9. Air (Galactica) - Alton Towers
10. Olympia Looping - Winter Wonderland
11. Bandit Bomber - Yas Waterworld
12. Altair CCW-0204  - Cinecitta World
13. Vampire - Chessington
14. Saw: The Ride - Thorpe Park
15. Stealth - Thorpe Park
16. Predator - IMG Worlds of Adventure
17. Turbo Track - Ferrari World Abu Dhabi
18. Spin Gear - Sega Republic
19. Spinball Wizzer - Alton Towers
20. Spider-Man: Doc Ock's Revenge - IMG Worlds of Adventure
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:01 am

1. Saw: The Ride
2. Shambahla
3. Nemesis Inferno
4. THE SWARM
5. Th13teen
6. Furius Baco
7. Stampida - Blue Side
8. Red Force
9. Stealth
10. Ice Mountain
11. Rita
12. Mammut
13. BrontoJet @ Movieland
14. Air/ Galatica
15. Colossus
16. Wild Mouse XXL @ Winter Wonderland
17. Vampire
18. Stampida - Red Side

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:20 am

Thank you both very much for the submissions, the list is already looking very interesting. I'll share a top 5 or top 10 once enough coasters pass the minimum ridership.

TheParkLifeKid - Note that The Velociraptor will be listed under "Blue Fire + Clones", Preadator will be listed under "Rage + Clones", and Spider Man Doc Ock's Revenge under "Sierra Sidewinder + Clones".

ThemeCrafter264 - You're aware of most of this already, but it's useful info for everyone. Only your highest-ranked side of Stampida (red) has been submitted, under the name "Stampida". Ice Mountain is a simple spinning mouse, so it doesn't qualify. You'll find BrontoJet under "Schwarzkopf Jet 400 Clones".

Thanks to the above entries and those from myself and some friends, three coasters have passed the minimum ridership, all of which reside at Alton Towers. I won't say which one is winning, but here's a clue: it begins with "s" and ends with "miler". ;)

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:08 pm

Apologies for the double post, need to update the guidelines and can't edit any above posts.

After discussions elsewhere, it's been decided that people with larger lists who may shy away from entering due to not wanting to order every item on the list, please do as many as possible in the main list, before lumping everything else in one of the following categories:

• Good, but didn't make my list.
  • Okay, didn't do loads for me.
  • Bad, a very unenjoyable experience, I hated it.
This is to ensure that no coasters are missed. :)

jackf1tz
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:02 pm

Very interesting! As much as I wish I could add mine, it falls just one coaster behind the required limit, however, it is entirely possible for me to go to a new park before the end of the year, so I just have a few questions.

1. Do bobsleds count? (Avalanche @ BPB etc.)
2. Vekoma Junior Boomerang. Big enough? (Ben 10/Accelerator @ Drayton Manor)
3. Steeplechase. Any objections?
This ride is perfectly safe. Everything has been designed for your comfort, and enjoyment.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:14 pm

All three are accepted. The Junior Boomerangs are probably just about in, I probably would have said no, but then I realise I can't refuse things like Raik, so they'll all have to be valid! :P

Jack
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:37 am

1: Taron - Phantasialand
2: Black Mamba - Phantasialand
3: Olympia Looping - Barth - Travelling
4: The Smiler - Alton Towers
5: Nemesis - Alton Towers
6: Nemesis Inferno - Thorpe Park
7: The Swarm - Thorpe Park
8: Stealth - Thorpe Park
9: Saw The Ride - Thorpe Park
10: Winjas Fear - Phantasialand
11: Oblivion - Alton Towers
12: Thirteen - Alton Towers
13: Galactica - Alton Towers
14: Megafobia - Oakwood
15: Raik - Phantasialand
16: Speed - Oakwood
17: Winjas Force - Phantasialand
18: Colossus - Thorpe Park
18: Vampire - Chessington World Of Adventures
19: Rita - Alton Towers
20: Colorado Adventure - Phantasialand
21: Favourite Vekoma Boomerang (Wipeout - Pleasurewood Hills)
22: Temple of the Night Hawk - Phantasialand
23: Dragons Fury - Chessington World of Adventures
24: Spinball Whizzer - Alton Towers
25: Millennium - Fantasy Island
26: Shockwave - Drayton Manor
27: G Force - Drayton Manor
28: Odyssey - Fantasy Island