UK theme parks from another point of view!

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Disney to purchase 20th Century Fox

Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:53 pm

So today it was announced that The Walt Disney Company, will purchase 20th Century Fox and its assets for $52.4 Billion. 

So Disney's purchase will add to its huge back catalogue, with such high-grossing films like the original Star Wars movies, Marvel superhero teams X-Men and Fantastic Four, Avatar and Deadpool, as well as TV hits including The Simpsons, Family Guy and The X-Files.

So, this basically means that now Disney have (pretty much) all Marvel characters left, so expect to see an even bigger Marvel Cinematic Universe!!

This also means that they can build new theme park areas based on these movies, on the topic of theme parks, 20th Fox are midway through building a park in Maylasia and are rumoured to be in talks to make an area in Motiongate Dubai, it is unknown how this will effect the development of the parks.

So whats your opinion on the purchase? 
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Re: Disney to purchase 20th Century Fox

Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:26 pm

I have mixed feelings about this latest aquisition by Disney. It will no doubt be of significant benefit to have access to the almost full catalogue of Marvel characters, although I'm not sure quite how they'll work them into the Marvel Cinematic Universe given there are already 3 Fantastic Four films, and a large number of X-Men movies, but no doubt they will find a way.

One question this does raise is how will this affect Universal's use of properties such as The Simpsons? I'm guessing that Universal will keep the existing ride and area for the duration of the agreed licence, but once that expires will they have to remove it? One concern I do have is the fact the Disney will no doubt want to use soe of these characters in their parks. Whilst the Marvel stuff will slot in as Disney are already using that, I personally really do not want to see The Simpsons go into any Disney park as in my opinion they simply would not fit.

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:07 pm

I can't believe it, The Simpsons as Disney characters... 
[Insert Signature Here]

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:09 pm

Bert2theSpark wrote:
I can't believe it, The Simpsons as Disney characters... 

But that does mean we have two new Disney Princesses and one new Disney Queen :lol
Parks, Scares and Glitter on Facebook

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:35 am

I expect Universal will be tied with The Simpsons in some way, similar with Marvel. I also can't see Disney wanting to have Simpsons in their parks as the characters don't fit the current direction they're going in! :)

If The Simpsons were to be removed though I expect we will see Nintendo take over Springfield, mainly because it's sat right next to it and will even share a food storage area with it.

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:02 am

It could be that Family Guy could replace The Simpsons at Universal, therefore freeing The Simpsons. As you say, Owen, I can't see The Simpsons entering a Disney park. It could just be a silent partnership with some licences/characters cherry picked.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:06 am

Justin wrote:
It could be that Family Guy could replace The Simpsons at Universal, therefore freeing The Simpsons.

Unfortunately Disney now own that too :lol

I have to say the theme parks are the least of my worries. I very much doubt Disney will mind having to be paid by Universal to use certain characters and franchises that don’t fit their narrative - I think in the long run we should remember Disney care about money and that is a about it, so if there is an opportunity to make it then they will.

The thing I’m extremely concerned about is how Disney are going to be with everything creatively. Fox was doing some really interesting stuff and now I worry Disney will reverse this to spin their image on it. New Mutants is a good one here. This will be the first major superhero/horror genre bending film and is expected as a trilogy, but with Disney having little experience here will this be complete? Deadpool is allegedly remaining as a 15, however Disney don’t seem awfully keen on perusing the character very far - already stating that he’s going no where near the Avengers franchise.

This doesn’t even consider the fact Disney now own FX, the creators of some of the most adult TV out there. American Horror Story will be interesting to watch, however I wouldn’t be surprised if showrunner Ryan Murphy takes it to the Universal channel as he has ties here, along with American Crime Story and Feud. I also feel for the employees who will be losing their jobs, with almost all Fox staff expected to be dropped.

Overall I’m just incredibly nervous. All all the franchises Fox had have their own feel to them, and I worry Disney is going to warp them into something unrecognisable...