UK theme parks from another point of view!

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Concert Corner

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:52 pm

So Concert Corner is for all you concert related needs. From announcements to reviews, help and advice to the latest speculation. Anything to do with music gigs are welcome.

I thought i would start off with a review from last year when i saw A Day To Remember performing at the Leeds First Direct Arena on January 28th.

A Day To Remember - Bad Vibes UK Tour 2017

I had previous seen ADTR on their Birmingham date of their tour but i'll be reviewing their set in Leeds. The first ever headline arena tour by the band, ADTR were promoting their latest record "Bad Vibrations" with their UK leg of the tour. The show was energetic, keeping with their high paced songs to create a show that pleased old fans and new ones alike. From performing "paranoia" off the new album, to throwing it back to "The Plot to Bomb the Panhandle" off their first record, this show had a lot of variety to please everyone. I thought the set list was very well created, i was disappointed with the lack of songs from Common Courtesy (my favourite album by the band) but they still featured a song from the album in the show. Air cannons, strobe lights, backing screens showing videos of the crowd/music videos. It was well staged and had a lot to keep people entertained (even with the odd flood of inflatable pool floats). I thoroughly enjoyed the concert, it was one of my favourites from last year and still ranks high in my top 10 concerts of all time.

Support came from 2 other UK bands, Moose Blood & Neck Deep. They both performed well and had a decent selection of songs on offer keeping with the pop punk vibe of the night. Main support came from Pop Punk legends New Found Glory, celebrating 20 years of making music. Again a decent set from the band and making the show their own in the arena.

Only a brief review of the night, below are photos from the night of ADTR's set and their set list in full.

1. Mr. Highway's Thinking About the End
  2. Paranoia
  3. 2nd Sucks
  4. Right Back at It Again
  5. I'm Made of Wax, Larry, What Are You Made Of?
  6. It's Complicated
  7. Fast Forward to 2012
  8. We Got This
  9. Bad Vibrations
  10. My Life for Hire
  11. Exposed
  12. Have Faith in Me
  13. Justified
  14. Homesick
  15. Naivety
  16. All I Want
  17. The Plot to Bomb the Panhandle
    Encore:
  18. If It Means a Lot to You
  19. All Signs Point to Lauderdale
  20. The Downfall of Us All
I'm the boy with the bubbles

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Re: Concert Corner

Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:16 pm

Don Broco - Technology Tour - Birmingham 15th February

February 15th marked the date Don Broco would take their Technology Tour to Birmingham's O2 Academy main room to play their biggest headline Birmingham date in their career. Hot off the heels of their top 5 album release "Technology", the Bedford Boys were keen to show off their new material. Having previously seen Don Broco on various tours and festival appearances, the standards were high due to their energetic performances and brilliant crowd involvement. 

But would Don Broco continue with this and bring what Birmingham wanted?

Having just released their new album 2 weeks prior the show, Don Broco opened with the first 2 singles from the album to set the tone for the night, the crowd was rowdy, energetic, buzzing. Whatever you want to call it, Don Broco know how to get the crowd going. Playing multiple songs from their new album, the crowd knew every word with some of these songs getting a better response than songs from their previous albums. Switching between Technology and their previous album Automatic, throwing in the odd song from their first record Priorities and their early EP. There was a lot to digest throughout the night. They played extremely well and managed to do their songs justice when performing live and managed a fair bit of crowd interaction (including the infamous Push Pit during Thug Workout, worth a watch if you're interested) Don Broco managed to perform well in their biggest headline Birmingham gig. I was impressed with the performance and the song selection, throughout the tour more songs from the latest album were added which made a nice change seeing the crowd react to the likes of Porkies & the drop for ¥. Overall, i enjoyed this performance all the way through to the ending with T-Shirt song which you can see my recording of below.

Support came from Yonaka & Man With a Mission. Yonaka performed well, a good crowd opener and entered with a lot energy in the performance. The main support came from Man With A Mission, a Japanese band who recently had Don Broco supporting them in their Japan tour. This band was so much fun to watch and sing a long to. It might not be everyone's cup of tea but they are fairly amusing with the inclusion of a cover (with a twist) of Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit.  Overall good openers for a good show.

Don Broco's Setlist:

1. Pretty
  2. Everybody
  3. What You Do To Me
  4. Fire
  5. Stay Ignorant
  6. You Wanna Know
  7. Superlove
  8. Automatic
  9. Technology
  10. Porkies
  11. Priorities
  12. ¥
  13. Thug Workout
  14. Nerve
  15. Money Power Fame

Encore:
  16. Come Out to LA
  17. T-Shirt Song

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:22 am

I don't think I would ever be reviewing this but...

Alestorm - Piratefest 2018 - Manchester 18th February

Only a quick review from last night. I'm not a massive fan of the genre; I do like heavier music such as metalcore but I wouldn't say I'm a big fan of Pirate music. I went into this gig with a clear mind of what to expect. The main act, Alestorm were on good form, good energetic music getting the crowd going and some of the weirdest crowd participation I've ever seen. The gig was really fun. They sounded good and again it was an energetic show which is what I look for going into a concert. The 2 support acts I wasn't too keen on, they were mediocre but they did an ok job of getting the crowd into the spirit.

Overall for this quick review, the gig was good; I don't think I'll be going to another one of their gigs again but it was nice to experience what one of their shows was like.

Props to Jack for asking me to go and to experience what a Pirate metal party concert was like.

Setlist:

Intro
(Blazing Saddles)

Keelhauled
Alestorm
Magnetic North
Mexico
That Famous Ol' Spiced
The Sunk'n Norwegian
No Grave but the Sea
Nancy the Tavern Wench
Rumpelkombo
1741 (The Battle of Cartagena)
Hangover (Taio Cruz cover)
Pegleg Potion
Bar ünd Imbiss
Captain Morgan's Revenge
Shipwrecked

Encore:
Drink
Wenches & Mead
* With an Anchor

Outro
(Mr Blobby)

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:04 pm

Kendrick Lamar - The DAMN. Tour - Friday 9th Feb at Birmingham's Genting Arena...

Having heavily anticipated this show, it reached expectations if not higher.  I got the tickets for my birthday, however, even if I were to purchase them out of my own money I'd still say it was worth the hefty £108 ticket cost without booking fees etc. (however, there were cheaper tickets available, but this was gold circle standing) - although that may seem a lot, which I guess it is, I suppose the average (major artist) concert nowadays is around the £70 mark - with artists such as Drake, Beyoncé and Coldplay charging around the £110 mark...

The show began with support act, James Blake, who I hadn't really heard of before the concert, however, he is very very good and I have added a few of his songs to my Spotify playlist. 

Once Kendrick took to the stage his show was action-packed filled with fire, pyrotechnics and a pretty amazing lighting package - also the 'Kung Fu Kenny' theme was represented all the way through. He really got the sold-out audience on their feet jumping and singing (and moshing at the front!). 

The list follows as... 

1. DNA.
  2. ELEMENT.
  3. King Kunta
  4. untitled 07 | 2014-2016
  5. New Freezer
  6. Collard Greens
  7. Swimming Pools (Drank)
  8. Backseat Freestyle
  9. LOYALTY.
  10. FEEL. 
  11. LUST.
  12. Money Trees
  13. XXX.
  14. m.A.A.d city
  15. PRIDE.
  16. LOVE.
  17. B**ch, Don't Kill My Vibe
  18. Alright
  19. HUMBLE. (audience sing)
  20. HUMBLE. (Kendrick sings)
  21. GOD.  - Encore Song
The show lasted only around 1 hour and 30 mins, however, he went into song after song, with only 2 interlude video breaks.

It definitely ranks very highly on the best concerts I've ever seen - as the entire setup, as well as set-list, worked very very well. 

Here are some photos from the night...

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:20 pm

ALESTORM - 02 RITZ MANCHESTER

This is a bucket list level gig for me, I've loved Alestorms music for a long time, I love the lack of seriousness and also the professionalism in doing so. So when this show was announced late last year I bought tickets the second they went on sale, and dragged Deadjack5 with me...

Before the Alestorms set started, there was a glorious moment where Bohemian Rhapsody played over the PA, and the entirety of the venue erupted into song, one of my favourite moments to happen. Then, the silly intro tape began playing and five questionable looking people appeared on stage carrying what appeared to be musical instruments... ;)

The set started with Keelhauled, a classic, and it was obvious from the outset that it was going to be a tiring night. The crowd was amazing and I don't remember hearing much of the vocals over the chorus', because the crowd was just so damn loud. Glorious to be a part of.

Then the new stuff appeared, in the Self Titled song 'Alestorm', which is where the party truly began. "RUM, BEAR, QUESTS AND MEAD. THESE ARE THE THINGS THAT A PIRATE NEEDS" is an easy chorus to remember, and so once again every person in the building seemed to be shouting along. I'm also very impressed with the live mix Alestorm had, it sounded like an album mix, and the drums could be heard loud and clear which is something that most metal bands lack in live performances nowadays.

Now we move on to Magnetic North, or as I like to call it, Lady Gaga If She Was An Alcoholic Pirate (Slight NSFW, but nothing too much) and it sounded absolutely phenomenal, it was a song that I could stand back and watch them perform, and really enjoy it. Elliot's screams sounded insane, and everything sounded perfect. Amazing live track.

And so, we travel far to the south where the cacti grow now, to Mexico. And this is the peak of the crowds energy as well. It felt as if there were any more people in the venue jumping to this song, it would throw the earth out of the Suns orbit. Nothing bad to say about the performance either, absolutely solid musicianship.

Oh, pour me a slug of it Throw me a mug of it Bring me a jug of that Famous Ol' Spiced...A song I didn't know was on the set, and didn't even know the band played live. Even so, it was fun to see it, and not too much to say about it. Little less energetic but fun nonetheless.

Sunk'n Norwegian, apparently it's a bar in the song, but it's also one hell of a great live song. The pits opened once again, and the chorus had the crowd bellowing "ONE MORE DRINK". One of the defining songs of the evening that I really enjoyed being able to witness.

Material from the new album, No Grave But The Sea is a beast of a song and Alestorm absolutely nailed it and it received very well. Again, one of the best songs of the night for musicality, absolutely brilliant.

I didn't get to drown my sorrows in drink last night, but I did drown them collectively rowing with the rest of the crowd to the sound of Nancy The Tavern Wench, a live moment I'll never forget. Everyone was there to have fun, and we did just that. The shanty chorus, the slow vibe, the audience interaction, absolutely incredible. And of course they ended it with a good, hearty, RUM-PEL-KOM-PO

Time for a 7 minute monster of a song, 1741 (Battle Of Cartagena). Not one of my favourites, and much like Magnetic North it was a chance to just appreciate the musicality of Alestorm. Very much enjoyed this, although I don't like the actual track too much.

A couple of guests were welcomed onto the stage for a cover of an 'older' pop song, Hangover by Taio Cruz, and once again the party in the pit picked up, everyone was jumping, singing and having a great time with a much less serious vibe. Great fun.

Pegleg Potion is a song I've not listened to a huge amount but quite like. The weakest song of the evening being pretty strong says a lot about the quality of the gig. Nothing too eventful with this one.

Now it was time for a song I was very much looking forward to, my favourite song from No Grave But The Sea and possibly my favourite in Alestorms entire catalogue, and I'm glad to say it didn't disappoint live. The shanty chorus, memorable verses, brilliant musicality and a crowd that knew the entirety of the song was a perfect storm for me.

Things took a bit more of a brutal turn after this, when Alestorm parted the audience as if it were the red sea, preparing for a wall of death at the start of Captain Morgans Revenge. Despite people getting over excited and starting early, and the band starting it up again, it was a fantastic moment. And again the song just didn't stop giving, the chorus, verses, solos, all spot on with everyone still giving it their all energy wise. Second best song of the evening....

The main set was ended by Shipwrecked, at this point I could feel myself losing my voice however it was worth carrying on. This song is a nostalgia trip as it was the first thing I heard from Alestorm, and the live version, as with everything else, did not disappoint at all. 

Of course now we have the encore. and after sarcastically introducing everyone the band went into Drink, and I don't think I've seen an audience react so well to a song before (that is till the end of the encore), "WE ARE HERE TO DRINK YOUR BEAR" shirts were everywhere so of course everybody knew all the lyrics to this one, absolutely insane performance of this song, and the crowd made it 100x better.

Wenches and Mead came up next, and of course it was very good "HEY HEY, I WANT MORE WENCHES, HEY HEY, MORE WENCHES AND MEAD" was belted out by everyone...until the band changed it to a "For Dogs" version, and everyone followed, anyone who didn't know the band must have thought they were insane (which holds some truth) but it was hilarious in every way.

And now for the end of the gig, ....With An Anchor was a perfect choice, I've never seen so many people saying screaming such abhorrent things, it was great fun. A real sense of unity and banter was felt here, and it's a song I see becoming a staple of Alestorms live show.

To end my review, I'll give a final rating of 9.5/10. Minor imperfections were the only thing missing, this is by far the best gig I've been to and I urge anybody who finds the band mildly entertaining to see them, it will be worth your money I promise you

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:25 pm

Dance Gavin Dance & Veil Of Maya - 3rd March 2018 - Birmingham Asylum

Being as this will be my last concert for a few months and with the new season arriving, I'll be reviewing the co-headline tour featuring metalcore band Veil Of Maya and Dance Gavin Dance.

Before the concert, I was a big fan of Dance Gavin Dance. Their latest album released over a year ago, Mothership, was one of my favourite albums of the year and earned a lot of praise from fans alike. I had not heard of Veil of Maya and only knew through reviews of the band that they were metalcore so I was looking forward to seeing their performance.

Support came from A Thousand Below, I only managed to catch the end of their set but it from what I could gather was an average support set with nothing too exciting to boast about.

Veil Of Maya were the first of the 2 Co-headlining bands to perform. Fast paced, heavy growling and head banging was the best way to describe the band, they had so much energy for such a relatively unknown band in a small venue and kept the momentum going. They did seem to rush through their set with no real crowd interaction which was a shame, a stand out moment in the set was the use of not one but two Rick and Morty audio clips during the song transitions. Overall a decent performance and I would recommend giving these guys a listen.

Dance Gavin Dance were the final act of the night and they finished off well. This was the band's first real tour in the UK to perform a lot of material from Mothership and they did the album justice. Good energy and great vocals from both vocalists made the performance stand out. Again, the majority of the material was from Mothership but they also threw in some old songs as well as their latest stand alone single from last year Summertime Gladness. Overall a good performance and a great well to finish the concert.