UK theme parks from another point of view!

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Re: FIA Formula One World Championship - General Discussion

Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:41 pm

Much better race! Good to be back at a proper racing circuit again this weekend :).

The first lap I think was one of the best this season.

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:34 pm

It was certainly full of action!
I do think a lot of the issues came down to heat!

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:41 pm

And Spielberg was cooler and the circuit less brutal on the engine than Silverstone will likely be this week... :)

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:32 pm

The trouble was, they weren't expecting the heat. Silverstone will be epic!!!

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:07 pm

Last year I skipped watching Silverstone live, as I was driving up to Alton on the Sunday, which probably wasn't so sensible as my route goes very close to Silverstone.

This year there should be a real fight between the top three. Mercedes should have the advantage, but if their new engine isn't reliable then they're doomed. McLaren on the other hand could have an incredibly embarrassing weekend.

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:59 pm

Silverstone could be very interesting.

It'll be interesting to see whether Hamilton, Bottas or Ricciardo will need to take any grid penalties as a result of their retirements in Austria. I agree with Justin regarding the heat, it appears the tyres in particular struggled with the heat, as the track temperature on Sunday was significantly higher than it was on Friday, which of course is the day where the teams gather most of their data around tyre degredation and build their strategy for the race.

However, I'm not sure the engine issues were heat related. These cars go all around the world and race in temperatures far greater than were seen last weekend. I wonder if Mercedes' issues in particular were related to their recent engine upgrade?

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:04 am

Well I may have finished watching the Austrian GP with the belief more teams were having engine issues than really there were. Seems like it was only Renault that had definite engine problems. :P

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:26 am

Big accident for Brendon Hartley just now in practice 3. Complete front left suspension failure under braking, wheel buckled inwards causing the axel to completely snap off. The car then went bouncing over the gravel into the tyre barrier. Hartley seems fine, but not much of the front of the car left.

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:28 am

It was a horrific crash!

It just goes to show how safe these cars are that a driver can experience a crash like that and walk away from it, and probably get the all clear to participate in Qualifying (if they can fix his car in time) and the Race.

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:45 am

They're incredibly safe now!

It's also the mentality of racing drivers that's amazing. Both him and his team mate will go out and continue to slam the brakes on, without the concern that it will happen again.

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:38 pm

So, Hartley won’t participate in Qualifying due to the damage his car sustained in the crash. The FIA are also not permitting Gasly to drive unless Toro Rosso change the entire front suspension on his car.

Also, Toro Rosso still don’t understand what caused the failure on Hartley’s car. I imagine both drivers will have a few nerves when they next press on the brake pedal.

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:53 pm

Glad the FIA aren't messing around on this. Let's see if Gasly goes out and then what he can do.

Also walked in to hear them saying Vettel has a kneck injury. Didn't hear what caused it, but Stowe and Copse in particular aren't going to be very kneck friendly. I hate to think what g-force they're getting around there this year.

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:25 pm

Hamilton takes pole! His 6th at Silverstone.

Source: Formula 1 Official Twitter

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:38 pm

Barely 0.1s between the top three, with Raikonnen getting fastest 1st and 3rd sectors. Going to be close tomorrow!

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Topic Author

Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:21 pm

Another thrilling race with lots of crashes. It is a pity Red Bull didn't get a podium position, but I still thoroughly enjoyed watching the action unfold, especially with the safety car action. It seems that they learnt their lesson from last week, regarding tyres :D

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:51 pm

Was a brilliant race! Silverstone showing other circuits that overtaking is possible.

Kimi seems to be becoming more competitive over these last few races.

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:40 pm

Bottas has signed a one year extension with Mercedes, with the team having an option for a second year.

Meanwhile Ricciardo goes fastest in FP1, but has had to change so many bits on his engine that he'll start last regardless of qualifying.

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:44 pm

Swarm Chris wrote:
Bottas has signed a one year extension with Mercedes, with the team having an option for a second year.

Meanwhile Ricciardo goes fastest in FP1, but has had to change so many bits on his engine that he'll start last regardless of qualifying.

Let’s not forget that Hamilton has also re-signed with Mercedes until the end of 2020 ;)

I love silly season. The amount of rumours around who will go where, who will leave F1, who will get promoted from F2 etc is ridiculous. I can see LeClerc taking the second seat at Ferrari, but I’m not sure where that leaves Kimi. One of the rumours is that he’ll essentially swap with LeClerc and go to Sauber, but I can’t really see that happening.

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:48 pm

Dan wrote:
One of the rumours is that he’ll essentially swap with LeClerc and go to Sauber, but I can’t really see that happening.

If LeClerc did move to ferrari, I could see Kimi leaving F1. I doubt he would move to a lower team and if he did it would be a shame seeing a former world champion struggling in a poorer car (same for Alonso)
I'm the boy with the bubbles

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:56 pm

Dan wrote:
Let’s not forget that Hamilton has also re-signed with Mercedes until the end of 2020 ;)

But that happened at least a day ago, old news! :P

I wonder how long they can leave the LeClerc/Kimi question. If they don't win this year's championship, I could see them keep Kimi inorder to retain the status quo between the drivers and give Vettel another chance of winning (I sadly don't see Kimi being the one to win again).

LeClerc has the ability to either cause the team to lose points compared to Kimi (which seems unlikely given his form so far), or put pressure on Vettel and unsettle him (just like Ricciardo did).

Edit: I see Kimi leaving if Ferrari don't renew. Maybe he'll turn up in sports cars or some ice racing series somewhere.