Discussions about other parks and attractions within the European area.

Flamingo Land

User

DiogoJ42

Re: Flamingoland 2009-S&S El Loco

by DiogoJ42 » Sat May 02, 2009 11:28 am

^ Exactly Dan. Can coaster companies please stop all this 'beyond vertical' nonsense once and for all and start building GOOD rides for a change?
TT Member
User

Michaél

by Michaél » Sat May 02, 2009 11:33 am

^Why would they stop. When the Eurofighter is so popular and is literally taking Europe over. If i was running Gerstlauer i would definitely keep selling them. However the S&S El Loco's don't seem to be selling so good.
Currently waiting in anticipation for the next "This Is The Best Coaster In The World" video from Flamigoland.

User

Craig

by Craig » Sat May 02, 2009 11:42 am

I don't think Diogoj42 is saying stop bhuilding El Loco's etc. What he is trying to say though is that this obsession with things going "beyond vertical" resulting in the "steepest drop" needs to stop.

Instead, manufacturers should be focussing on creating new elements and interesting layouts as a coaster's selling point.

It's quite annoying that the drop is being focussed on for this coaster, when the way the coaster turns around the track is far more intriguing to me.

TT Member
User

Dara

by Dara » Sat May 02, 2009 2:20 pm

"World's Steepest Drop" is a much easier selling point to the public though, to be fair. I think any steeper and we'll be upside-down on the drop, which i personally wouldn't enjoy. Overall i dont think that this coaster will beat Eurofighters for excitment.

User

DiogoJ42

by DiogoJ42 » Sat May 02, 2009 3:39 pm

Thanks Craig, that's exactly what I meant. It's been said before, but you cannot get steeper than 90'.
TBH On Eurofighters I don't relly notice that the drop is beyond vertical, so why bother?

TT Member
User

PeteWetherby

by PeteWetherby » Sat May 02, 2009 4:05 pm

I notice the beyond vertical on Saw and Speed a lot in fact, and so do the people i've been with. :?

To be honest I don't class Oblivion as good.
Most of the time the holding break doesn't work properly.
The drop isn't 90 degrees (and you can tell it isn't from the side)
The height factor is non existent because the drop above ground is tiny, into a mistless hole.
And I would much prefer some elements after other than, an overbank and... breaks.

SheiKra on the other hand is a different matter, it actually works, in all respects.

On topic though Mumbo looks good, I have a feeling it is going to be unreliable though :? :(
TT Member
User

Michaél

by Michaél » Sat May 02, 2009 4:22 pm

Urm Oblivion is over 10 years old so you would have thought that it would be over shadowed by the newer models of the B&M dive machine. For instance introducing new elements to the ride e.g Immelman, Water Splash etc...
Yes the Gerstlauer layouts may have a more filled and interesting layout but they seriously lack the quality of any B&M dive machine in terms of the smoothness, restraints, safety etc... I can't see how you would ride a bog standard Eurofighter over a world class B&M dive machine. But that is your opinion so whatever.
Why should Mumbo Jumbo be un reliable, Steel Hawg was and is a very reliable ride so i don't see having a nearly identical copy will change that.

TT Member
User

Dara

by Dara » Sat May 02, 2009 6:21 pm

Personally i'd rate Speed and Saw way ahead of Oblivion (the only B&M dive i've ridden) and i actually find Speed very smooth and i could ride it all day. Oblivion doesn't really have great re-ride value... but it's still a great ride :D

TT Member
User

PeteWetherby

by PeteWetherby » Sun May 03, 2009 11:23 am

"nemesiscrazy" wrote:Urm Oblivion is over 10 years old so you would have thought that it would be over shadowed by the newer models of the B&M dive machine. For instance introducing new elements to the ride e.g Immelman, Water Splash etc...
Yes the Gerstlauer layouts may have a more filled and interesting layout but they seriously lack the quality of any B&M dive machine in terms of the smoothness, restraints, safety etc... I can't see how you would ride a bog standard Eurofighter over a world class B&M dive machine. But that is your opinion so whatever.
Why should Mumbo Jumbo be un reliable, Steel Hawg was and is a very reliable ride so i don't see having a nearly identical copy will change that.

Safety: How can Safety be better on a dive machine when neither have had any accidents?
Restraints: Yes, they are orange; do they have padding next to your head? :D

Oh sorry I forgot it's a B&M, so it can't be beaten by anything.

Anyway let's compare:

Oblivion
Drop (less than vertical)
Overbank

Against

Saw: the ride
Drop (which is very nearly as steep as oblivions main drop)
Barrel roll
Drop
Immelmann
Overbank (seem familiar :) )
Airtime Hill
Dive loop

Or

Speed
Drop
Airtime Hill
Overbank
Vertical loop
Zero-G
Helix

Bog standard you say?
Custom Eurofighters, against, Oh look Oblivion and its clone, G5, it even has the hole and mist, that works! :P
Bye bye originality.

Ok World Class, well it's your opinion so... Whatever. :lol:

TT Member
User

Dara

by Dara » Sun May 03, 2009 4:19 pm

Couldn't agree more PeteWeatherby :D

Eurofighters are far from 'bog standard'. And of course, B&Ms are not always the best unconditionally just because they are B&M.

Rollercoaster technology moves on, Oblivion was very impressive 10 years ago when it opened, but Gerstlauer now have a much more interesting and exciting model in the Eurofighter.

Just in the same way that new B&M dive coasters are better than Oblivion (ie. Shiekra), Eurofighters have more advanced elements, and so beat a 10 year old coaster.

As far as i'm concerned, Gerstluer have created something fantastic in their Eurofighter model, and the reason that they are springing up everywhere is because parks finally have a great new coaster model which doesn't have the massive B&M price tag.

And as for safety, both Eurofighters and Dive coasters have spotless safety records, so i dont know how anyone can say that Eurofighters are less safe :?
TT Member
User

Michaél

by Michaél » Mon May 04, 2009 6:07 pm

I do understand your reasons for the eurofighters being overall better roller coasters than Oblivion and I am not disagreeing just because Oblivion is a B&M as there are a many other coasters around the world that are better than most B&M's. On the safety issue I did not mean the coasters having crash's etc...I was angling at the roughness safety aspects of it as in major headbashing and jolts which will be experienced on some Eurofighters. Which can cause brusing and possibly more serious head injurys. Anyway this topic is about a S&S El Loco so lets get back on topic.
Does anyone know when Mumbo Jumbo will open? Or is it as exact as "Opening Summer 2009"?
TT Member
User

Joe Koopa

by Joe Koopa » Mon May 04, 2009 6:15 pm

"nemesiscrazy" wrote:Does anyone know when Mumbo Jumbo will open? Or is it as exact as "Opening Summer 2009"?

I belive it will be July 2009. :)
TT Member
User

Spike

by Spike » Mon May 04, 2009 10:58 pm

How's this yeah, we all stop ranting on about un-important things, like Oakwood :P and maybe start looking into having another Unique ride into this country yes?

Pictures
Pictures from the Ride Guide
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*

TT Member
User

CJH

by CJH » Tue May 05, 2009 1:21 am

Glad to see the coaster finally going up.
It's great to have another type of coaster in the UK.

Eurofighters are found all over the place, this is only the 2ND in the whole world. Looks a very interesting coaster.
I for one can not wait to ride it. I love new experiences and this sure looks to be a great one :).
Flamingoland have a great selection of rides. Might not be the best of parks, but I enjoy the days out there.
Chris 21 Manchester

TT Member
User

Ash

by Ash » Tue May 05, 2009 8:43 am

Must admit, ive been following this ride for quite some time good to see it finally going up with steel.

Id like to get there for opening day of this :)

Seems so unusual and should be pretty big too!
TT Member
User

Rob

by Rob » Tue May 05, 2009 2:16 pm

It's nice to see some construction of the coaster itself, this really does look like it's going to be an interesting ride. I don't like how all the hype is about this "worlds steepest drop", but I'm looking forward to seeing the final product and hope I'm able to get to Flamingo Land some time in the next couple of seasons.

But nothing beats construction pics! :D

TT Member
User

amcmaster1

by amcmaster1 » Wed May 06, 2009 7:02 pm

Totally agree its really good to see the track being assembled.

I read earlier that the ride was meant to be themed, i heard something about them building a big entrance, Does anyone know if there will be any more themeing?
Wishing i was back in the Caribbean
TT Member
User

Khanage

by Khanage » Fri May 08, 2009 4:08 pm

Another video update from Flamingoland TV:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqh03FyCprg" target="_blank]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqh03FyCprg[/url]
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

TT Member
User

Spike

by Spike » Fri May 15, 2009 9:43 pm

Update from 15th May

More facts about Mumbo Jumbo

Supports - Made In China
Track - Made In Italy
(Cheaper than having it made in the UK would you believe?)
The ride will have 5 cars as oppose to Hawgs 4 and are on a boat on there way.

Last edited by Spike on Sat May 16, 2009 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
TT Member
User

Khanage

by Khanage » Fri May 15, 2009 9:47 pm

Flamingoland TV's latest video answers viewers' questions:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tya8kt4llgQ" target="_blank]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tya8kt4llgQ[/url]
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

PreviousNext