A ground breaking new attraction is set to open at the Alton Towers Resort in 2018. Follow all the discussion in this dedicated forum.
TT Member
User

Frontdoordumbledore

Re: SW8 Speculation and Discussion

by Frontdoordumbledore » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:20 pm

Sw8 is apparently in gloomy. This, coupled with style of advertising and the fact I've been told it has a pretty tall themed object, could mean a wicker man theme?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
TT Member
User

Owen

by Owen » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:25 am

Hi, not sure how long you've been reading the topic but many have said this too - although many are also sceptical about trusting the map and the attractions Gloomy Wood location. :)

TT Member
User

Dan_Roe

by Dan_Roe » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:36 am

Do we actually know that the structure is a wickerman or is it just a giant structure of some sort i mean it does look kind of like a head on some shoulders but for all we know it may just end up being completely different
TT Member
User

Frontdoordumbledore

by Frontdoordumbledore » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:56 am

We don't know anything. I'm making a guesstimate based on what people are saying who i know. It's more a hope than anything else, i don't know of anything in reality but wouldn't it be a lovely theme.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Last edited by lewis97 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double posts

TT Member
User

Dan_Roe

by Dan_Roe » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:05 pm

I arent the biggest fan of IP's so I dont really like the idea of a wickerman themed ride espicially something significant as a worlds first coaster. I know thorpe park did it with Saw: The Ride but I feel some great themeing (and yes Saw foes have fantastic themeing) will come to fruition with this ride espicially if the plans show the ride as a family coaster much like th13teen has some incredible themeing elements
Team TTSP
User

lewis97

by lewis97 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:17 pm

If this does turn out to be 'Wicker Man' themed I don't think it will be an IP as such, more just inspired by the Pagan ritual.

I don't think an IP for a rollercoaster is necessary to generate significant interest in the attraction from Merlin's perspective.

TT Member
User

Dan_Roe

by Dan_Roe » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:24 pm

For all we know it might just be a giant structure of some sort not even revolving around a wickerman at all. Might just be a bridge or a giant skeleton seeing as its in gloomy wood
TT Member
User

S.J_O'Grady

by S.J_O'Grady » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:31 pm

lewis97 wrote:If this does turn out to be 'Wicker Man' themed I don't think it will be an IP as such, more just inspired by the Pagan ritual.

I don't think an IP for a rollercoaster is necessary to generate significant interest in the attraction from Merlin's perspective.

Also, if it was an IP, it would be either a film that's famous for being bad, or a film from the 70s that's since been forgotten about. :lol
And what would happen when the creature appeared?
TT Member
User

Count-Vonduel

by Count-Vonduel » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:50 pm

I hope its not a wicker man theme as while it sounds interesting it too dark for something so close to the kids area, and if you were going to say "it might not be dark" to that I say...MERLIN!
I think a GW theme could work and personally I hope they do as that would make it lightly to get a refurb of duel!

TT Member
User

Dan_Roe

by Dan_Roe » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:03 pm

Its going to be interesting seeimg the fully built SW8 on the 2018 map as the past major additions to the park are normally overexagerated for dramatic effect on the park maps mearly look at 2013's map and how large the ride actually looks. This will be interesting because of the area the rides in being the surrounding areas of mb, kc and gw.

Ive also thought about a mix of the three themed areas for the ride as a type of battleground being fought over by pirates, tribesmen and the undead. Could have lots of potential themeing incorporating the three areas together
TT Member
User

OhShambhala

by OhShambhala » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:01 pm

Dan_Roe wrote: a type of battleground being fought over by pirates, tribesmen and the undead. Could have lots of potential themeing incorporating the three areas together

Now that would be a specatcular theme! :lol
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!

TT Member
User

Dan_Roe

by Dan_Roe » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:48 pm

Thank you, OhShambhala! :D

The backstory of the ride first is set in the Katanga Canyon itself. This is home to the tribespeople who live in the Katanga Canyon themed area. However, the pirates of Mutiny Bay are getting greedy and have decided to extend their territory into the Katanga Canyon. This starts the conflict between the tribesmen and the pirates and, due to this, awakens the undead from Gloomy Wood.

Throughout the queline, TV screens will detail the respective storyline for each are crossing between the entrance being in Gloomy Wood detailing the undeads' reason for fighting crossing into the tribesmen and the pirates. This is also incorporated into the pre-show detailing the whole story together.

The sound tunnel will be intensively themed to look like a heavily damaged pirate ship with lots of spears and perhaps some triggered explosions when the trains pass inside.

the rest of the ride show the amount of damage done to the canyon and then goes under a burning wickerman statue used by the tribesmen as a secret weapon of sorts. The other themeing element would be themed around Gloomy Wood but I haven't thought about what that could be yet (possibly a skeletal structure)

I think that this would be a fantastic attraction not just for Alton Towers, but the UK as a whole and will draw massive crowds who don't only enjoy rollercoasters but can be immersed in a detailed story and experience as well. The b iggest problem with this however is the expenses and that Merlin most likely wouldn't spend this much on themeing alone, however, this will must likely pay off if this ever came to fruition. Please leave your opinions below :D
TT Member
User

Adam.W

by Adam.W » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:47 pm

The only issues I find is the time period and the general poor combination.

Duel is set in the modern day according to the videos, based on some crazy dude who re-animates the dead. Mutiny Bay is set a few centries ago when pirates exist, and Katanga Canyon is an African village which is likely to be set quite a while back. This creates a bit of a clash in terms of time period, and screws up the backstory which could detract from immersion.

I find that these three areas generally don't mix well as one theme. It feels a bit haphazard, kind of how Rita was rethemed into a dark forest ride, it doesn't really work well in terms of back story. For example, why are they fighting? Why are there pirates and African dudes fighting these monsters? In my opinion it would be too risky of a story for Merlin to use, and has many flaws with it.

Overall, with SW8, I could personally see a more light hearted area, especially when considering that the ride is almost certainly going to have a 1.2 metre height restriction. We don't want another Th13teen, a family coaster marketed as a thrill ride with a scary theme, and hopefully Merlin will realise their errors with Th13teen.

TT Member
User

AltonOperator

by AltonOperator » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:20 pm

As much as it is an incredible idea, I really can't see it happening.
I'm very unsure about the whole gloomy wood thing quite simply because it's miles away! the entrance on the plans is clearly in mutiny bay and I can't really see a way to redirect the queues to gloomy wood. Also, it feels to similar to th13teen with its spooky theme and being in the woods. I think it will be far to visible in the mutiny bay area to really be immersed. you'll pop out of the large theming building and see a pirate village!
God Bless Tea Towels
TT Member
User

T0mPr1ce

by T0mPr1ce » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:03 pm

Invadr POV uploaded by BG Williamsburg https://youtu.be/9qQG7iN4AbM. This gives a small insight into the kind of ride we may be getting, e.g the tunnel and it does generate quite a speed. However I was left relatively unimpressed and thought it was quite short. Obviously SW8 won't have the chain and the supports will be wooden rather than steel, so should feel and sound a bit different.
TT Member
User

MakoMania

by MakoMania » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:33 pm

I don't think it looks half bad, should have some good pops of airtime, maintains a reasonable speed. Someone's said this in this topic before but GCI don't really make bad coasters, so I am hopeful for SW8!
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Wave Breaker: Intamin launch coaster coming to SeaWorld San Antonio in 2017!

SeaWorld has rescued over 30,000 animals!
Site Owner
User

Baffles

by Baffles » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:23 am

They don't make bad coasters, but from the multiple I've ridden, they don't make fantastic coasters either.

Should'a been an RMC!

I'm sure it'll be great regardless.
TT Member
User

GThing64

by GThing64 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:36 pm

Baffles wrote:but from the multiple I've ridden, they don't make fantastic coasters either.

Just out of interest, which ones have you ridden?

I should be getting on both my first GCI (Wodan) and my first GG coaster (CuChulainn) this summer (with one of the two being my first woodie in general) so it'd be interesting for me to see which style I prefer.

TT Member
User

dazza4783

by dazza4783 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:46 pm

Baffles wrote:They don't make bad coasters, but from the multiple I've ridden, they don't make fantastic coasters either.

Should'a been an RMC!

If it wasn't for the Smiler crash then it probably would have been a launched RMC with inversions in Forbidden Valley that the original Screening option was for. But before RMC came on the scene everyone would have been extremely happy to see Alton Towers finally get a GCI woodie, so no reason why we shouldn't be happy with the one they are building.
We still don't really know too much about the layout other than a birds eye view of the path it will take. Presumably the first drop after the tunnel will be a smaller version of Mystic timbers first drop and going by the testing video of that it picks up a lot of speed and looks like a lot of fun.
TT Member
User

tcw1993

by tcw1993 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:51 pm

dazza4783 wrote:
Baffles wrote:They don't make bad coasters, but from the multiple I've ridden, they don't make fantastic coasters either.

Should'a been an RMC!

If it wasn't for the Smiler crash then it probably would have been a launched RMC with inversions in Forbidden Valley that the original Screening option was for. But before RMC came on the scene everyone would have been extremely happy to see Alton Towers finally get a GCI woodie, so no reason why we shouldn't be happy with the one they are building.
We still don't really know too much about the layout other than a birds eye view of the path it will take. Presumably the first drop after the tunnel will be a smaller version of Mystic timbers first drop and going by the testing video of that it picks up a lot of speed and looks like a lot of fun.

I completely disagree. The smiler incident wouldn't cause them to move it to a different location?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
i love sub terra. By the looks of it, the only one.
PreviousNext