UK theme parks from another point of view!

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Re: The Last Film You Watched and Your Rating

Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:13 pm

Justice League - 7/10

I quite enjoyed this film, despite the critics slamming it. Yes it does have a few dull moments that if Joss Whedon hadn't changed, they wouldn't be as bad as they were. I felt that the characters are the strongest part of this film. The Flash is just hilarious. I think if you compare it to all the Marvel films than yes you are going to be disappointed as its nothing like them. What i like about the DC films is that they are a bit darker and they feel more grown up compared too the marvel films which are now beginning to feel very repetitive. Whilst its not amazing, it is quite enjoyable.

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:17 pm

The Last Jedi - 7.5/10

Some bits were fantastic but it felt too long and the humour was unecessary. Personally, the points where the film got darker was when the film became far more entertaining so it was a bit annoying it wasn't like this most of the time.

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:53 pm

Star Wars: Episode 8 - The Last Jedi   -   7/10

I'm not a massive SW fan having only seen Episode 7 & Rogue One, but i did enjoy the film, it had good action, great characters and felt like a solid film. I think it was decent enough but again, I'm not a massive fan so as a causal movie watcher I enjoyed it.
I'm the boy with the bubbles

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:49 pm

Evil Dead (2013)- 7/10

With it being a remake of a 70s horror, it's full of cliches, so I wasn't expecting a lot. Turned out to be a lot of fun, and saying there's a LOT of blood is an understatement...

Rickrick
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:33 am

The last film I saw was Blade Runner 2049 and it was pretty good. I'd give 9/10 just because it probably lasted too long and I was tired and sleepy towards the end.
Last edited by Justin on Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Grammar

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:23 am

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

10/10 from me. Absolutely brilliant from start to finish. Some stunning cinematography and character development makes this my favourite Star Wars film of all time.

There are some bits which may not be everyone’s cup of tea but in my opinion none of them negatively affected the film.

Go and see it if you haven’t already!

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:54 am

Must agree 100% with Dan!
An excellent film!

Rickrick
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:45 am

Dan wrote:

10/10 from me. Absolutely brilliant from start to finish. Some stunning cinematography and character development makes this my favourite Star Wars film of all time.

There are some bits which may not be everyone’s cup of tea but in my opinion none of them negatively affected the film.

Go and see it if you haven’t already!

Do agree!!! Great film! 

Nutty Man
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:12 pm

Paddington 2: 9/10

Absolutely great film for the family, brilliant plot and presented well. Fabulous ending which caused me to shed a few tears. The only thing I will say is that it went to a few extremes with
Spoiler: show
Paddington being put in jail
but apart from that it's brilliant. Probably better than the first.
The nemesis creature, lord of darkness, guy off the promo for galactica, th13teen woman Dr. Kelman and Big Bob have joined to take over the world.

Rickrick
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:26 am

I have recently watched the Secret Window with Johnny Depp (based on a Stephen King’s book). The movie is about a writer who is trying to write a novel in a strange house. Really liked this dark film, all King’s traditional mix of madness and horror are well shown. Depp is a great actor and all movies he appears in become memorable.
I read about this movie and Depp as well and found out that he likes remote and mystic houses in life as well, for example his villa on the French Riviera.
Last edited by Dan on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary link

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:01 pm

I have decided to review both these two ‘films’ together as they both ran the risk of ruining two of my favourite franchises - Harry Potter and Star Wars. One however is not a film, rather a play but they’ll be judged the same...

Harry Potter and The Cursed Child

After hearing how bad this read, I completely avoided reading the script. However, when I saw some reasonably cheap tickets as a Harry Potter fan how could I say no?

I decided to watch both parts of the 4 and a half hour play on the same night, and it was certainly better this way. It meant I forgot nothing and was on the ball!

The first part of the play started quite confusingly if I am honest, after we had been introduced to the two protagonists, Albus Potter and Scorpius Malfoy, it had to rush through 4 years of their school life and I didn’t really enjoy it - which really worried me fir what was to come. However after this the story slowed down and this lead into some really interesting character development. The ideas that are implemented are actually fairly adult and refreshing. The play was going very well, and had some genuinely scary sections in it (I wouldn’t bring a child to see it). The beginning the second half however, I really didn’t like - although this didnt last too long thankfully. The real thing that makes this work though it’s the phenomenal effects. I genuinely don’t know how they did a lot of it and the duels were done incredibly - characters actually ‘float’!

I can see why people would enjoy this, but the thing with this is people need to remember it’s a play, and so it’s going to be a more ‘out there’ and humorous version of Harry Potter although I must admit even for me some of it seemed a bit silly or cringy. However the majority of scenes were incredible and again the effects - wow.

Overall I really enjoyed this, I may do a more in-depth review in a separate topic. The play has got some cringy sections but nothing that ruins anything, and I really want to go back and see it again!

Overall I give Harry Potter and The Cursed Child 7.5/10 time turners.

I am also a huge Star Wars fan and someone who does not like The Force Awakens. So needless to say before this film was even released I was nervous. I avoided all trailers, and still haven’t seen a trailer, for The Last Jedi and based on recent reactions this was a good thing.

After the low expectations that The Force Awakens had given me for the new trilogy I went in not expecting much, and actually I do prefer this to The Force Awakens. However, to get straight into the negative, there are some terrible terrible terrible scenes in this film and I fully understand the ‘Spaceballs’ comparison - I’m surprised Rick Moranis didn’t pop up in some scenes honestly.

The worst offenders being Leia’s ability to survive in space and channel superman, and that god awful milking scene

Along with this I found the final 15-20 minutes so disappointing following the absolutely amazing scene before this. The story again I felt was a little lacking, and it could have been done much better - as in this film I’d say half the characters aren’t even needed. In regards to the humour I’m not going to go into detail because I think it’s pretty well known the humour in this film is fairly diabolical 9 times out of 10, although that’s not to say it’s not completely cringeworthy...

The beginning scene was really well done, and Chewbacca eating a porg was quite funny

That being said there were some parts in this that I absolutely loved, and have made this so much better than its unoriginal predecessor. The cinematography is glorious and the wit that has gone into some of these scenes is fantastic, this is supported by some great acting - mainly from the supporting cast if I’m honest.

Even though the Rose plot line was seemingly irrelevant, I loved it. Well her bit anyway, not so much Finn. The spirit Rose shows is something that I see lacking from everyone and it’s where Star Wars grew from so I really adored this.

Along with this certain scenes were genuinely amazing, with some reminding me of the chase scene in Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 1 which to this day I love.

So as a whole is the Last Jedi the worst Star Wars Movie ever? No. Is it the best? No. The movie had so many little things I hate it in, from the comedy to the ‘predictable twists’. However, this movie is so pretty and well crafted that for some reason I forgive it, and it worked for me. This isn’t the Star Wars I want - and it’s walking the line of making it look incredible and a great story that Disney need to crack, and I would think about replacing Lucasfilm CEO Kathleen Kennedy (although that’s another discussion entirely!).

Overall I give The Last Jedi 6/10 porgs.

I think these two experiences have proven to me that going in with an open mind is the best way to approach these kinds of situations, although in the case of Star Wars I’m still waiting on something to blow me away!

Nutty Man
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:05 pm

Gremlins

I watched this a while back (on Christmas Eve, yes, it is a Christmas film) and was glad I did. I'm not a big fan of the frightening stuff, like I have never done scaremazing or anything like that, so I didn't know how much I would enjoy it. But it was really good, with comedy covering the horror aspect of it. There was a particularly gruesome scene,
in
which a gremlin exploded in a microwave and another one got put in a liquidiser.

Great film, especially because it was made a while back they had to use puppets and a little bit of stop-motion to film the gremlins. The only thing is that it is quite dated now.

8/10
The nemesis creature, lord of darkness, guy off the promo for galactica, th13teen woman Dr. Kelman and Big Bob have joined to take over the world.

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:22 pm

I love the Gremilins, great film, I sometimes prefer the dated films, especially using old special effects and puppets over CGI

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:11 pm

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - 10/10

Hands down the best film I've seen all year, seen it twice already  - shame tickets are so expensive otherwise I'd see it a third!

Some great new characters, however I'm not a fan off Admiral Holdo...

However, if you haven't seen the film yet I would fully recommend this to anyone, and this film is also better than the Force Awakens (imo)

Very excited for the next installment, already...
credit to sam!

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:39 pm

Jumanji - 7.5/10

A good film, Nothing special but there's clearly a lot of time and effort put into the film, It was funny and is suprisingly good for a Sony Movie. It's currently my number 2 Sony Movie after Spiderman: Homecoming. 
[Insert Signature Here]

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:14 pm

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 10/10

Not the brightest of films, however, I have definitely started this year well movie-wise! I won't get into depth regarding the story as it is quite dark and brutal, however, it follows a mother's discontinued murder case over her murdered daughter, despite that she decides to place 3 controversial 'adverts' on three billboards outside of Ebbing. This causes a big spark in the murder case, and this follows her story! 

The film isn't the most upbeat, however, the dark humour throughout is pretty funny and needed, because otherwise, it would be a pretty sad film - so in that case; bring some tissues!

Frances McDormand is absolutely phenomenal and worthy of her Golden Globe.

I would definitely recommend this film, however, as I said, it is pretty deep. But all in all a great start to the year, and look forward (eeek) to seeing Insidious 4 tomorrow (with a review following). 

P.s. 1,000th post!  8)
credit to sam!

Danny
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:24 pm

Insidious: The Last Key: 8.5/10

I love the Insidious series, and this seemed the perfect ending to them... although I have a feeling it won’t be forever!

Lin Shaye delivers as always, and the mix of light hearted comedy and very intense scenes make this an all round entertaining horror. It had a great narrative and purpose amongst the series. Leigh Whannel is a modern horror genius!

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:00 pm

Insidious: The Last Key - 8/10

Quite a good film, a bit weak in some areas, however, has a very good plot (quite different from the norm). As said above, a great mixture of comic elements as well as some very intense jump scares and scenes. I would probably rate this as my second favourite out of the Insidious series, with the original being my favourite. 

I would indeed recommend seeing this in the cinema, as the entire atmosphere was electric and it is great having a laugh with your mates and seeing everyone else reactions.

I'm sure the movies will get rebooted a few years down the line, however, we do have some great horrors coming up!

Overall a fairly solid movie, not Oscar-worthy, but definitely a very good horror film with a mixture of comedy and scares!
credit to sam!

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:04 pm

Watched a fair few movies over the last couple of months, won't go into detail but will list from top to bottom (best to least enjoyable).

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 9/10 (so far the frontrunner for the Oscar award for me)
The Disaster Artist - 8.5/10
The Big Sick - 8.5/10
The Florida Project - 8.5/10 (Brooklynn Prince is a young star in the making and gives one of the most emotional scenes I've ever seen of any actor, period! It was raw emotion and she was only 6 years old at the time of filming.)
Battle of the Sexes - 8/10
Jumani - 8/10 (enjoyed it to the point I think I actually like it over the 1995 version)
Brigsby Bear - 7.5/10
The Killing of a Sacred Deer - 7.5/10
Ingrid Goes West - 7/10
Stronger - 7/10

Ones I'm watching soon, Coco, 'I, Tonya', Last Flag Flying, The Post, Lady Bird, Black Panther, The Shape of Water, The Darkest Hour.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:40 pm

The Commuter - 8/10

Overall a pretty good Liam Neeson film, very similar to his 2014 film, Non-Stop, but with a different plot and on a train! 

As per usual Liam played his role really well and thought the entire plot of the film was very good and clever.  The action scenes were very well choreographed and some very intense, however, the mood did get lifted by some subtle jokes made throughout.

I would strongly recommend you went into the film spoiler free as if moments had been spoilt to me, it definitely would've changed my overall reaction to it!

All in all, a pretty good film, if you're into action thrillers then this is for you!

FIlms I'm seeing in the next month or so: The 15:17 To Paris, The Shape Of Water, Winchester, Fifty Shades Freed, Status Update & Lady Bird
credit to sam!