UK theme parks from another point of view!

rolicoli8
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8 Speculation and Discussion

Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:47 pm

Okay so I just got back from watching the new It film, and something caught my attention. A trailer came on about some people in a forest and they started finding weird symbols on the trees and strange sacrificed looking bodies hung up in the trees, the trailer also featured a wicker man style thing at the end. The film is called The Ritual which could even be a fitting name for the coaster itself and would make sense with all the things we've seen so far. All of these are incredibly similar to the marketing used for SW8 so far and I'll be very much surprised if this isn't the actual theme. I personally doubted an IP being used for a SW but after seeing this I'm not too sure at all. The arms of that wicker figure at the end of the trailer could also be the horn things we've seen sticking out the top of the theming structure.
(Trailer contains strong language, although it would be weird theming a family coaster to a film rated at least 15 or whatever it is)

ewoodier82
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:26 pm

If this isn't the theme it would be a really weird coincidence.

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:32 pm

In response to smoothness/upkeep speculation:
Modern GCI appear to be pretty good for smoothness. Wodan (when I rode in 2016) was one of the smoothest woodies I've ridden - obviously, RMCs are smoother, but they less traditionally styled wooden coasters. Haven't ridden any other GCIs to compare, however. If Wickerman/SW8 rides anywhere near as smooth as Wodan, I have no concerns.

Future upkeep I hope will be good - I mean, Towers seems to look after ride hardware pretty well. Nemesis, for example, still rides honestly very well for a 23 year old ride. But then again, Colossos could be an indication Merlin might not be able to maintain wooden coasters well...
Check out my NoLimits 2 creations here
"I'm a bit sad that you can't at least look round without being blamed for 75% of all kidnappings ever"

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:31 pm

I don't have any confidence that Merlin can look after rides like SW8 long term.

- Nemesis was neglected for years and finally a fanfare made over 'TLC' and a three-year project as they had no choice but to keep it running due to its popularity.
- Loggers Leap was left to rot so had to close and requires a huge amount of work which Merlin won't pay for.
- Dragon Falls' theming was never maintained and turned in to a hazard so had to be taken down - they never had the budget to replace it until now the whole ride will be rethemed and marketed as something new.
- Merlin rarely paint rides so they look like crap.
- As discussed, Colossus at Heide Park has not been invested in so now is permanently closed and requires thousands if not millions spent on it.

Wodan is good example of a GCI - but Europa Park are leagues above ATR in terms of maintenance and presentation. Everything actually..

I have ridden Troy, Thunderhead, and Apocalypse in the last few years and cannot say they are anywhere near as smooth as Wodan.

Basically, we need to be optimistic and hope they look after it.

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:33 pm

With today's images of a horned creature head being installed on the theming element, do you think it fits in with the 'Wicker Man' trademark? It is just not clicking together for me at the moment.

I also still think that 'Chosen' or 'The Chosen' would be a good name for the ride.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:45 pm

Well given that the plans showed a horned creature as the statue and with the trademark being filed for The Wicker Man, i would hazard a guess and say that this is what they planned.

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:55 pm

Not doubting plans 'Wicker Man' just doesn't fit. Until I have it confirmed by Merlin then anything is possible. The two don't fit for me personally, but that is just my own opinion. There is a possibility this trademark was just pushed out to fool people. Doubt it, but must be considered :)

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:32 pm

Justin wrote:
Not doubting plans 'Wicker Man' just doesn't fit. Until I have it confirmed by Merlin then anything is possible. The two don't fit for me personally, but that is just my own opinion. There is a possibility this trademark was just pushed out to fool people. Doubt it, but must be considered :)

I was thinking the same, as I'm pretty sure Merlin have done this before ( but don't quote me on that). I'm not sure about anyone else but I'm getting like a mythology/Greek god vibe from the current symbols and what I've seen of the themeing at the moment. Still pretty clueless to what Merlin have got up there sleeves!!
Creds to NemesisRider!

Scarefest 2018 Hype Kicking in... all because of Rita Fan

Yappo
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:38 am

Just got inspired to do a speculative "artist's impression" type sketch of what I think this coaster may or may not be like. Bear in mind it is just something I knocked together for fun and is entirely just for artistic purposes so isn't even necessarily accurate to the layout we already know, and this is just what I think the theming element MIGHT look like, it's looking like the head could even be more of a ram's head type thing actually, and I very much doubt any fire effects will be that big, that was more for dramatic effect :P but still, this is really more just like what I imagine a possible concept sketch for SW8 might've been. (I didn't put any people in the train because I suck at drawing people.)
Accordion-playing pirate.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:26 am

Wow, that looks fantastic! Well done!
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in need!

T0mPr1ce
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:46 am

Thats fantastic, thank you.

On another note, this has just reminded me that I'm very interested in seeing what t he trains will be like. I remember the plans said they will have wicker involved somehow.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:13 pm

Ok that image is pretty awesome, so thank you for sharing it.

The trains are going to be interesting. I hope they aren't too in your face but at the same time I hope they stand out amongst all the wood.

ATI
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:02 pm

Yappo wrote:
Just got inspired to do a speculative "artist's impression" type sketch of what I think this coaster may or may not be like. Bear in mind it is just something I knocked together for fun and is entirely just for artistic purposes so isn't even necessarily accurate to the layout we already know, and this is just what I think the theming element MIGHT look like, it's looking like the head could even be more of a ram's head type thing actually, and I very much doubt any fire effects will be that big, that was more for dramatic effect :P but still, this is really more just like what I imagine a possible concept sketch for SW8 might've been. (I didn't put any people in the train because I suck at drawing people.)

That looks awesome. But only 14 riders per train? ;D
We were born to fly...

Yappo
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:41 pm

ATI wrote:
That looks awesome. But only 14 riders per train? ;D

Like I said, was going for artistry and concept over accuracy :P That was just the number of cars that I could fit best into the picture on that section of track ;)
In all seriousness I'm expecting 8 cars (16 riders) per train, like on other smaller GCIs such as Invadr at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. I doubt they'll be going for the full 12 like on bigger GCIs like Wodan. But yes, I too am very interested to see what the trains will be like. I just went for standard millennium flyers with the logo on the front, but perhaps they'll do something more creative. Can't wait to find out!

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:06 pm

Didn't the station plans reveal that there will be 24 riders per train?

The throughput without this would be appaling.
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

Infinity Falls; World's tallest river rapids opening summer 2018 at SeaWorld Orlando!
SeaWorld has rescued over 31,000 animals in need!

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:14 pm

Indeed, SW8 is expected to feature 12 row trains :)

They are also expected to feature 'Wicker effect' theming!

Yappo
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:57 pm

Ooh really? It's been so long since we first saw the plans I'd quite forgotten. That's good, I wouldn't have expected a smaller coaster like this to have the full 12, but it's a pleasant surprise for sure!

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:07 pm

At first I thought this was official concept art leaked when I first saw it. It is so good! You should be very proud of what you have achieved. The perspective and scale is amazing. Hats off to you!
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:47 pm

Yappo wrote:

That is an amazing picture! Love it!

Robert W
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:00 pm

Wow! Awesome work, Yappo! Now I feel inspired too... I just wish it would be worth my time even trying! ;)