UK theme parks from another point of view!

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Wicker Man General Discussion

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:22 pm

It seems not even Wicker Man is safe from upsells and stands, as this picture from TowersStreet Facebook proves!

Last edited by Dan on Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Linked to original source

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:25 pm

Yep, it's really silly. Like I said on TS the other day, what if someone has travelled hundreds of miles, and are only able to visit the park for one day, and have yet to see Wicker Man for the first time, only to find some bright green camper van selling shower gel parked right in front of it? It just isn't really fair in my opinion. 

These types of marketing campaigns should be limited only to areas like Towers Street and Fountain Square. :(

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:37 pm

Robert.W wrote:
Yep, it's really silly. Like I said on TS the other day, what if someone has travelled hundreds of miles, and are only able to visit the park for one day, and have yet to see Wicker Man for the first time, only to find some bright green camper van selling shower gel parked right in front of it? It just isn't really fair in my opinion. 

These types of marketing campaigns should be limited only to areas like Towers Street and Fountain Square. :(

Doesn't the van roof double as a nice viewing platform? Because, that's what I'd assume it was there for. :lol

But it really makes no sense. Spend a huge amount theming, then shove this thing there. Do we know if it made an appearance again today?
Formerly TPC

:sus:

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:42 pm

It was just for one day, I think. Original Source had been running a competition a while back for people to win tickets to the resort. 

I just don't get why though. Since when did shower gel have any relation to Wicker Man's theme? It's just typical Merlin after every penny they can get sadly. :(

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:55 pm

Well, as a Google search for "original source wicker man" gives predominantly links about the source material for the 1973 movie and a single page stating the competition terms, looks like that promotion was beneficial to all parties!

I can understand Merlin attaching anything to Wicker Man, as it's cheap advertising that can appear on shelves across the country. I could also understand them having a photo shoot with their van where it is. But to keep the van there when guests are in, it's the theme park equivalent of the person on their phone in the cinema.
Formerly TPC

saw-x-smile
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:46 pm

Morgan wrote:
It seems not even Wicker Man is safe from upsells and stands, as this picture from TowersStreet Facebook proves!

That’s ridiculous! This ride is all about theming... and they’d do this.

But hey, we don’t know. Maybe the old, technology hating gods of the ride can’t go without their shampoo?

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:04 am

The flames are back!

Clicky clicky click

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:34 am

Flames on both the left and right side? What is this witchcraft!?
Formerly TPC

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:17 pm

Given the video I linked above didn’t show the flames very well, have a picture.

Credit: InstantlyInverted on Twitter.

wamdue
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:01 pm

Oh yeah, that van is dumb. Wicker Man should stand alone, it doesn't need anything else in its skyline.

Rustyo
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:28 am

Finally got to ride Wicker Man on Friday and what can I say but wow. I’m so pleased they got the fire working (for my birthday as well) but only for the off ride visuals. The ride itself is incredible and the fire effect is great but in no way would I think lesser of the ride if it wasn’t working.

Brilliant, top marks to Alton Towers and Merlin.

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:42 am

I think people underestimate how good Wicker Man is. While it doesn't look fast, it is certainly an intense ride, especially when it banks towards 'Big Bob'.

I think Alton have nailed this coaster (excuse the pun) as I believe it has the right atmosphere which has been created perfectly with music, ride aesthetics and the actual ride experience. It certainly sets the benchmark for any Merlin coaster now, and I strongly believe any coaster should have a backstory and high quality theming to allow riders to immerse themselves into a different world.

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:21 am

Has Wicker been opening for 9:30 recently?
Going on Wednesday and need to know if I should bother heading to WickerMan during ERT.
Ride count 2017: 422!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 933!
Cred count: 70!

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:24 pm

When is Wicker Man the quietest to ride (apart from ert which normal guests don't have access to)?

Jack
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:23 pm

It's always hard to tell, it just depends on the day I guess. I'd think lunch time would die down a bit and then near the end of the day when people begin to leave the park :)

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:28 pm

Liam.W wrote:
Going on Wednesday and need to know if I should bother heading to WickerMan during ERT.

I believe it now opens on time more often than not

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:02 pm

Liam.W wrote:

Dan wrote:
I believe it now opens on time more often than not

They will check your tickets or Annual Pass though to ensure you are entitled to ERT, so don't discard any hotel tickets or MAPs :)