UK theme parks from another point of view!

Danny
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Re: Derren Brown's Ghost Train

Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:51 am

That's really awful if that's the case, those effects are vital for the overall immersive experience. Let's hope they get them sorted soon.

Jack
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:02 pm

As stated at the TTSP Summer Sizzler behind the scenes at the Thrills Workshop, it's apparently just a nightmare scene to make work. I think they would have much better investment removing it and having actors in the tunnel as seen on press night earlier this year. Not only is it unexpected but it means that with the other changes for this year it would feel much more like you're trying to get away from something other than a projected demon ;)

Info in spoilers for those that have ridden Rise of the Demon:

Spoiler: show
The floor in the shop scene now fully shakes like it was meant to. I'm not sure how long this has been fixed but this was totally new to me and that's just over a month between my last visit and last week

hookyman
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:43 am

Went on DBGT for the first time this weekend. Can't help thinking that the experience would have been better using more physical effects/actors rather than VR on the train parts. I don't think VR is immersive enough yet, maybe in a few years time. Great ending though.

The Nemesis Fox
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:04 pm

I have just had a quick thought...
At fright nights I waited 2 hours for this attraction although it was advertised and was disappointed with the throughput. With there being 60 people every 5 minuted going through that creates a 720 throughput per hour. Half of these were being fastracks halving this to 360. The queue gets even longer when you add in technical difficulties. If this attraction was working without issues, then there could be some thought to amend the throughput. For example the average maximum fastrack will be 2000 between these times on a normal day. Surely between 10:30 and 12:00 DBGT could open for fastrack which would get through 1000 people. Other slots at 2:00-3:00 and 4:00-5:00 could be for fastrack at half capacity meaning 720 people. An alternative to this could be 1 in every 3 trains between 2:00 and 5:00 which would equal the alternative. This would increase standard throughput and would leave around 1750 slots for fastrack.

Other measures could be put in place also to keep throughput moving. These include slots being inclusive meaning there are only so many to keep good throughput to DBGT. For an accurate max queue time people could count guest numbers entering for accurate times. I say all this because I think that it is important for Merlin to understand how good dark rides are if pit through well. No matter how good rides are - if operations are poor, peoples perspectives will change. Personally I feel it would be a lot better if queues were less and of queues move faster. P.S. sorry for the rant but it gets to a stage where the whole queue applauded when it finally moves or in my case boos at queue time announcements and shouts ‘load of crap’.
2018 - SW8, Icon, Rookburgh, Valkyria, Energylandia, Toverland, Steel Vengance, Twisted Timbers, Hangtime, Railblazer, Slinky Dog Dash, Time Traveler, Electric Eel, Wonder Woman...

Which will be best

hookyman
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:34 pm

I agree with you there Nemesis fox, the queue was awful on Sunday. it was 2 and half hours long. We were lucky to have fastrack but we still waited for 45 mins to get in. It desperately needs improvements in that regard. They also managed to forgot to dispatch our pen (pen 2) twice, so pen 1 entered before us on three occasions adding 15 to 20 mins onto our wait time. Once inside, went through the whole DB bit and ready to board the train. We got on board and they realised that the group was too big by four people, so we had to wait for the next train. When we boarded the next train, they were six people over. How can they get that number wrong. I wonder how many people throughout the day ended up waiting to board the train twice. What a massive faff.

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:16 pm

Does anyone know the throughput of this ride? If there isn't an official figure, what would be the estimated throughput?
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

saw-x-smile
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:30 pm

That's weird. I just checked the website, and I remember that they used to post it on the DBGT page, but it's not there anymore.

According to the stats I got off of Wikipedia, assuming all three trains were running at full capacity, it would put somewhere between 696 and 804 people through every hour.

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:38 pm

When SouthParks had the talk at our Summer Sizzler event the throughput of DBGT was mentioned. According to the notes I took, the ride should have a throughput of between 8-900 people an hour, however, realistically has only been hitting 700 people per hour. I will admit I was surprised at how low that figure was for such a large attraction.