Discussion on the island like no other.

Fright Nights

TT Member
User

Justin

Re: Fright Nights

by Justin » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:03 pm

I pay every year for Fastrack, so I don't mind if a fee was introduced, as long as it did not increase waiting times. I doubt that THORPE PARK would charge though as the mazes are a major draw and brings the park increased footfall and sales. If a charge was introduced then it may affect numbers and sales in what is already a very competitive Halloween market!
ImageImage
TT Member
User

Horras64

by Horras64 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:12 pm

I experienced the Thorpe Park Fright Nights mazes for the first time today. And I was both impressed and disappointed. I didn't experience Platform 15 or Blair Witch unfortunately. However I will experience them when I go on the 31st.

Firstly, I think the scare factor rating is strange and depends on your group. So, despite The Big Top being 5, it wasn't scary in the slightest; might just be me. However SAW ALIVE which I lead the group, was terrifying and in neither was I picked on, and it was only 4. Anyone else experience the same?

Cabin was 'meh', either it's because we managed to take the shortest route, or we were in too big of a group.

Containment I thought was brilliant, the combination of scare, tension and difficult puzzles, made a great experience. There was also a lot of humour but also seriousness, and everything being kinda misleading.

Compared to other years which I didn't go in he mazes, there were very few roaming actors, which I was disappointed about. Since they add to the atmosphere of Fright Nights.

I didn't buy fast tracks because the maze queues weren't terrible. However I think I'll buy them next time.

Overall I enjoyed it, however I did expect a bit more than I actually got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TT Member
User

Owen

by Owen » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:27 am

It really depends what actors you get. Last year Saw Alive was awful for me but Cabin In The Woods was very good.
Forum Leader
User

Dom

by Dom » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:23 pm

Having just done Fright Nights I can honestly say that this year's event was a bit meh. Its only saving grace is Big Top which is 100x better than last year. It is by far the best maze there this year in my opinion. Saw Alive is also a very good one this year. They seem to be really using all the space available in the maze again this year and it works very well. Cabin is pretty much the same as last year, but still enjoyable. Blair Witch actually made me jump a couple of times this year. It doesn't have much to it but again the actors use the space to their benefit. Platform 15 is just terrible. Its too spacious. It either needs shrinking or more actors. I just felt it was very flat and very dull in the majority of places. It wasn't at all scary. The roamers I never even saw, so can't comment on them.
TT Member
User

Justin

by Justin » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:42 pm

Thorpe at capacity for Wednesday 26th October 2016.
Pre-booked tickets only!
ImageImage
TT Member
User

Nathan_Fisher

by Nathan_Fisher » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:14 pm

Only managed to experince 2 out of the 5 mazes this year on tueday 25th due to queues being long as expected. These being Platform 15 and Cabin in the woods. I had a brilliant run through in Cabin in the woods with plenty of actors and scares making it just as i expected. The only downside was the lack of theming in the maze with it mainly being in darkness.
Platform 15 was highly disapointing. Although the back story makes perfect sense, and the theming including the train, smoke and lighting effects were brilliant the lack of actors was poor considering the overall size of the maze. Around 4 actos got off the train then a further 2 were positioned along the course.

Spoiler!
The dark section at the very end involving you placing you hand on the shoulder of the person in front felt like it was building up to something which wasn't there. The walk through the pitch black tunnel took us a few minutes however there were only two actos at the very end right before the exit which didn't make us jump and made us say at the end 'was that it'

There was plenty of roaming actors around the park which built up the atmosphere especially at night. These mainly stayed around the old town area where most of the mazes are located and saw very few around the rest of the park.
TT Member
User

Owen

by Owen » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:30 pm

I experienced this years event yesterday and I have to admit I'm slightly confused.

THE BIG TOP I found to be much worse than last years version, which is saying a lot. I have a feeling a lot of actors and effects were missing this year on my run and it was just dissapointing. 4/10

PLATFORM 15... well first in the day it's a walk theough the woods. That's all. However, at night I found this to be quite a nice little maze minus the dreadful tunnel half. The first half was very well done though, with actors grabbing and chasing me on multiple occasions, unfortunately the tunnel and horrendous finale ruin it. 5/10

BLAIR WITCH once again was absolutely fantastic, I must admit I really do love this maze however this year it was the best ever. Actors popping out of everywhere, as well as one trying to pull me through the hut at the end. 7/10

CONTAINMENT was much different this year. The puzzles seemed to be all over the place with difficulty, but I like this. The actors were very active to say the least, and unfortunately I didn't manage to find the cure! 7/10

Cabin in The Woods wasn't my favourite last year, it was okay. This year it's not only one of my favourites at Fright Nights, but of the whole Halloween season! This year it was fantastic, so many actors and scares that there's no competition this was the best maze at this years event for me. 8/10

Overall I enjoyed this years event, but I think it's time for something drastically new to throw people off gaurd like Cabin in The Woods did in 2013!
Forum Leader
User

Dom

by Dom » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:45 pm

As reported on SouthParks Facebook page, Some small changes have been made to the Fright Nights website. A new tagline has appeared: “FRIGHT NIGHTS: THE ISLAND IS CHANGING IN 2017”. Also only The Big Top and Platform 15 remain on the website. All links to the Lionsgate mazes are no longer on the website (Except for a couple of images in the Shared Scares, but these haven't been updated)
Forum Leader
User

Dom

by Dom » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:12 pm

In this article that Lewis posted into the DBGT topic, there is a rather interesting line.

In addition to the ride’s redevelopment, there are also plans afoot for new IP additions to the park’s popular Fright Nights staged during the month of October.
TT Member
User

Owen

by Owen » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:31 pm

I wonder what new horror will await with these IP's then! Fingers crossed it's not another Lionsgate IP as they seem to have milked the franchises from the current line up. Some of them feel as though they need a major refresh. The only one I would sad to see leave is Blair Witch, as to me walking around in the dead of night really creeped me out meaning that it was much scarier overall.

Would it be an idea that we see something like Lights Out or Don't Breathe? Both these IP's have the unique aspect of taking away a sense (sight) which would really get some people going in my opinion.
Forum Leader
User

Dom

by Dom » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:46 pm

Owen wrote:I wonder what new horror will await with these IP's then! Fingers crossed it's not another Lionsgate IP as they seem to have milked the franchises from the current line up. Some of them feel as though they need a major refresh. The only one I would sad to see leave is Blair Witch, as to me walking around in the dead of night really creeped me out meaning that it was much scarier overall.

Would it be an idea that we see something like Lights Out or Don't Breathe? Both these IP's have the unique aspect of taking away a sense (sight) which would really get some people going in my opinion.

They have sort have tried this before. The Passing was an upcharge maze and guests had to wear hoods and experience 'Death'. I believe it only lasted at the park a year, and they haven't done a hooded maze since, which I guess goes to show the popularity of it.

TT Member
User

dannypugh88

by dannypugh88 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:48 pm

I think they should do away with ip and go back to creating their own. Similar to what towers do
Team TTSP
User

Ladyofthelake

by Ladyofthelake » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:04 pm

I've always been in two minds about the use of IPs in scare mazes. If done well they can help to create an immersive experience and use the fact that people will already be familiar with the story to help create the most effective scares possible. However, on the other side of that, if someone is not familiar with the IP being used then potentially much of the attraction could be lost on them - I know that the first time I experienced My Bloody Valentine, as I hadn't seen the film, I didn't get most of the maze and left completely underwhelmed.

It's always a risk for an attraction to create their own concept for a maze. Do it well, and you have a solid attraction you can build on. However, get it wrong, and you risk creating a negative experience for guests which may harm the reputation of the event.

Personally, I think in Thorpe's case they need to have a mix - for example, if they decided on 5 maze line-up have 3 in-house mazes and 2 IP based attractions. The IPs could be used to draw people into the event, people who would then experience what would (hopefully) be some great original mazes.
TT Member
User

Owen

by Owen » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:28 pm

Dom wrote:
Owen wrote:I wonder what new horror will await with these IP's then! Fingers crossed it's not another Lionsgate IP as they seem to have milked the franchises from the current line up. Some of them feel as though they need a major refresh. The only one I would sad to see leave is Blair Witch, as to me walking around in the dead of night really creeped me out meaning that it was much scarier overall.

They have sort have tried this before. The Passing was an upcharge maze and guests had to wear hoods and experience 'Death'. I believe it only lasted at the park a year, and they haven't done a hooded maze since, which I guess goes to show the popularity of it.

Indeed but that was an upcharge attraction and utilised the bag system. If the park attempted something in complete darkness in which people had to feel around the maze I could see it working very well. :)
Previous