UK theme parks from another point of view!

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:59 pm

MakoMania wrote:
4pm closes have now been rolled out into July as well. What is going on!? This is madness.

Only July 2nd-5th are 4pm closes.

10th-20th July are still only showing as “Open” but, as previously reported by TowersTimes, the park is open 10am-6pm between the dates of 21st July and 2nd September.
Credit to the BubbleBoi

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:04 pm

Doesn't make it any better. A park operator who actually cares about their guests would have the park open 10am to 5pm MINIMUM (including ALL rides and attraction obviously), for the entire length of the main season, with special events and peak times closing even later than that. What sad times we live in.. :(

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:27 pm

It's still ridiculous what has happened to Early Ride Time.

You used to be able to do it with a prebooked ticket but now you can't. This means without a MAP, you have to queue for Wicker Man for over an hour, showing once again Merlin just caring about money. It's just unfair on paying guests who have to queue for longer as they spent less. I understand hotel guests but giving MAP holders and not prebooked ticket holders is just unfair and unnecessary.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:17 pm

Dan wrote:
MakoMania wrote:
4pm closes have now been rolled out into July as well. What is going on!? This is madness.

Only July 2nd-5th are 4pm closes.

Which are dates that will be rammed with school trips.

Last year the minimum ride close in June was 5pm, now we have 4pm closes working their way into July. The park have made some operational improvements in recent weeks but this is an absolute laughing stock! It's becoming a bit of a pattern, more cuts in 2014 than 2013, more cuts in 2015 than 2014, more cuts in 2016 than 2015, more cuts in 2017 than 2016 and now the harshest cuts of all in 2018 despite the opening of a major new attraction.

I am sure that park management are doing the best they can but unfortunately Merlin have demonstrated once again that they are unwilling to provide the necessary budget to properly run a theme park.
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

SeaWorld has rescued over 33,000 animals in need!

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:18 am

Alton Towers have tweeted the following this morning, informing guests that the weather conditions at the resort are going to impact ride availability today.

At the time of writing; Enterprise, Oblivion, Th13teen, The Smiler, Congo River Rapids, Heave Ho and Runaway Mine Train are unavailable.

Coming to see us today? We're experiencing high winds, meaning right now many of our big rides can't operate safely. We're monitoring the forecast closely, and working hard to open rides as soon as it's safe to do so. Keep an eye on ridetimes.co.uk for availability!
Credit to the BubbleBoi

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:28 pm

Alton Towers have extended ride close to 5pm today after having some issues with ride availability this morning.

Thankfully, RideTimes is showing that every attraction is currently available.
Credit to the BubbleBoi

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:42 pm

Ride close was probably extended due to the closures earlier in the day rather than it being extended because of guest numbers. Either way, it is good that Alton took action to give visitors an extra hour :)

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:46 pm

Justin wrote:
Ride close was probably extended due to the closures earlier in the day rather than it being extended because of guest numbers. Either way, it is good that Alton took action to give visitors an extra hour :)

That was exactly why ride close was extended.

At 12pm; Wicker Man, Rita, Nemesis and Enterprise were all still closed.

I agree, it is good that the resort extended opening to make up for the poor availability in the morning, but considering the hammering they were taking on social media, they had little choice.
Credit to the BubbleBoi

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:25 pm

4pm closings this time of the year are absolutely insulting. They absolutely don't care for guests experience whatsoever, do they!? The fact that they extended opening due to poor ride availability isn't redeeming at all when the park should have been open until 5pm anyway, even without any problems with ride availability. 

Dan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:33 pm

Robert.W wrote:
4pm closings this time of the year are absolutely insulting. They absolutely don't care for guests experience whatsoever, do they!? The fact that they extended opening due to poor ride availability isn't redeeming at all when the park should have been open until 5pm anyway, even without any problems with ride availability. 

I can assure you there are many people working across the resort that do care for the guest experience, so for you to suggest otherwise is insulting.

The park are doing the best they can with the budget that Merlin have given them.
Credit to the BubbleBoi

Smiler313
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:37 pm

Unfortunately it is Merlin that won't give the parks the correct budgets. Perhaps this is to change if Wicker Man is seen as a success for Alton Towers Resort and the wider Merlin group.
'You are now embarking on an Optical procedure'

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:43 pm

Dan wrote:
I can assure you there are many people working across the resort that do care for the guest experience, so for you to suggest otherwise is insulting.

The park are doing the best they can with the budget that Merlin have given them.

I should have been clearer. MERLIN don't care for guest experience. I'm not denying that there are lots of passionate and caring people who work at Alton Towers who do care for their guests. Sadly Merlin don't care, clearly, and that does impact guests experience negatively, wether staff at Alton care or not.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:04 am

There are many people at the park who care about guest experience, however they are given next to no budget to work with.

There were multiple queues in excess of 60 minutes today, ride close was not extended beyond 4pm and to top it off the majority of areas now don't open until 11am, it is an absolute joke!

Mikw
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:11 am

Robert.W wrote:
I should have been clearer. MERLIN don't care for guest experience. I'm not denying that there are lots of passionate and caring people who work at Alton Towers who do care for their guests. Sadly Merlin don't care, clearly, and that does impact guests experience negatively, wether staff at Alton care or not.

Best to put the blame where it should be. The staff have been great this season, the operating budget not so much. The trouble is when people say Alton don't care the staff read these things and that's not fair to them

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:45 pm

Remember how we were talking bout how Altons employees do care about guest experience? Well, it looks like some of them don't, doesn't it.....

Seriously though. Watching YouTube while they're supposed to be working? Doesn't exactly look great. Lessons could have been learned from the many mistakes prior to this, but no, that would be way too easy wouldn't it.

Mikw
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:43 pm

Robert.W wrote:
Remember how we were talking bout how Altons employees do care about guest experience? Well, it looks like some of them don't, doesn't it.....

Seriously though. Watching YouTube while they're supposed to be working? Doesn't exactly look great. Lessons could have been learned from the many mistakes prior to this, but no, that would be way too easy wouldn't it.

I was talking about the actual on park staff, they've been great on the whole.

Don't even know if they're social media is even done on site or not. The ladies and gents who operate the rides have been good this year for me

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:52 pm

Yes, the on park staff have always been brilliant! I've only ever had two issues with a staff member in all the times I've visited. The social media on the other hand... that's been a joke for a while and it's fast becoming not a very funny one.

It's sad because I do understand and appreciate how much effort actually goes into the running of Alton Towers by all the staff there despite the minuscule budget, only for the unprofessional (and probably short staffed) social media team to make things even worse for the resort. It's just sad. :(

MattWard98
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:16 pm

Today opening time was extended to 6pm because it was good weather and quite busy. This is a good sign, hopefully it happens more often:)

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:45 am

They cannot be expecting to shut the park at 4pm all of this week surely? There are several queues in excess of 45 minutes and the weather is amazing!

Apparently staggered openings will be gone by this time next week though, so that is positive at least.

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:47 am

MakoMania wrote:
They cannot be expecting to shut the park at 4pm all of this week surely? There are several queues in excess of 45 minutes and the weather is amazing!

They did at Thorpe yesterday, even with high ride downtime...  :roll: