UK theme parks from another point of view!

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Re: Rumba Rapids

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:45 pm

It has been reported by TPWW that Rumba Rapids has now closed for the rest of the season.

With Rush down, along with the closure of Slammer and Loggers Leap, I believe this is a bad decision by Thorpe, especially with Frights Nights around the corner.

What is everyone else's thoughts?

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:54 pm

I can see the logic behind the decision, but at the same time i'm like, "But Tidal Wave is still open". It does seem like the park is closing a ride early each year, with Flying Fish closing earlier the year before and although it isn't obvious, it could be they are planning to start its winter maintenance early. 

Luce
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:57 pm

I can see both sides of the debate but perhaps the rapids will receive some TLC while it's closed :)

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:02 pm

The thing I'm concerned about is the offering. We are approaching one of the busiest time of the year and we have attractions closed. This will no doubt increase queue times across the park. This is not taking in to consideration the closure of IAC either.
The argument could be given that we have mazes, but then again roll back a few years ago and we were in a better position. I think the effect of these closed attractions will be felt more so at Thorpe as the size of the park is against it, especially when comparing it to Alton and their closures. I do like tge Rapids, and the likes of Rush and Slammer don't appeal to me, but to others they may feel the effects of these closures more.

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:51 pm

If I'm honest I can't see the closure of Rumba having too much of an impact as with it being a water ride it was rare that it had a queue of any significant length during Fright Nights anyway. I'm also sure this isn't the first time the Resort have closed the Rapids at this time of year, if not closing them completely they've certainly closed them after dark before now. I think the fact Rumba Rapids is closed is maybe more noticeable given the complete loss of Slammer and the closure of Rush until 2018. Whilst Slammer was hit and miss anyway as to if it was open, Rush almost always held a significant queue of up to 50-60 minutes at the park's busiest times, 

Robert W
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:54 pm

Luce wrote:
I can see both sides of the debate but perhaps the rapids will receive some TLC while it's closed :)

Perhaps they need to do a "Thorpe Loving Care"! 

Or maybe it could be the location for the 2020 development?

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:26 pm

Out of all the years I've gone to Fright Nights, I can't recall them closing it. Hopefully TLC will be carried out on the ride. I don't think I'd be questioning their decision as much had they not lost 2 main rides this season.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:29 pm

Rumba always closed at about 5pm on Fright Nights, so for them to close it completely is a bit surprising, but hopefully it doesn't mean anything bad. #KeepRumba

Justin
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:32 pm

It is strange to completely close it!
Hash tag campaign starts here! Well done, Dom! :)

saw-x-smile
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:44 am

I hope this catches on! #KeepRumba
I love rumba, and it's the only child-friendly water ride left. I hope they don't kill it and just restore it.
There is a conspiracy around the Flume Ducks...