UK theme parks from another point of view!

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW9

Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:52 pm

All I'm saying is that if Merlin want to expand Katanga Canyon and / or Gloomy Wood, they'll need to be very careful about it. Katanga Canyon and Gloomy Wood just "work" if you get what I mean.. they're Towers classics and are two of the best themed areas at the park. Whatever they might want to add must be extensively themed (more so than Wicker Man) for it to properly fit in with the aesthetics of Katanga Canyon / Gloomy Wood.

A Derren Brown's Ghost Train style attraction for Towers? Absolutely not. Merlin might not want to publically admit it, but that ride is ultimately a failure and it's technology is certainly not coming to Towers any time soon, especially as Galactica has also failed miserably, yet they were stupid enough to rebrand the entire ride so now they can't get rid of it! 

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:41 pm

Interesting fact time, a DBGT style attraction was originally considered for Alton Towers, although it was considered that Thorpe was the best place for it at the time.

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:13 pm

Well if they want a low investment year, I'm sure we could ship the one from Thorpe up to them... :P

I wonder if Alton will ever invest in a modern dark ride system. Symbolica at Eftelling showed someone other than Disney and Universal could make a high quality modern dark ride and have it maintain long queues. Maus au Chocolat at Phantasialand did the same thing for the modern interactive dark ride.

Another thing lacking from Alton are simulator type rides. The Soarin' style ride system is now available to anyone and also usually attract long queues.

saw-x-smile
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:43 pm

I think DBGT might have scared away Merlin from trying any simulator rides any time soon, which is sad but makes sense. DBGT is kind of a failure, and even though it would be awesome for a dark ride rollercoaster hybrid to be SW9, I think the fear and recent loss of money will keep them from it. Maybe Wicker Man will lead the way to more story lead attractions, but I don't think it will lead to a simulator, because that appears to be too much. 

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:24 pm

DBGT failed because it had no clear direction on what they were doing with it. They still are changing it around now. 

SW9 will most likely be a coaster because of Merlin's past track of dark rides in the past. Gruffallo only saw 1.3% attendance increase, DBGT did nothing to attendance despite spending £30 mill+, Ghostbusters saw Heide's attendance drop 3.9% (Although it won't be the reason for the drop, it didn't help prevent the drop). The General Public see roller coasters as the most interesting. 

But of course there's always a chance of a coaster having dark ride/simulator style elements to them, See how the GotG at Epcot or Fly at Phantsialand are going to work, Loads of potential there.
[Insert Signature Here]