UK theme parks from another point of view!

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Topic Author

Album's You've Heard and Your Review

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:00 pm

Seeing as THIS topic has done so well, why not try this one out?

So just review an EP (collection of 4-8 songs) or LP (collection of 9+ songs) you've heard!

To start off, I will review arguably two of the biggest mainstream albums of 2016. (I am only reviewing these in grater detail to kick start the topic, it really isn't necessary other wise).

Sia - This Is Acting

Track listing with individual ratings:
1. Bird Set Free | 5/10
2. Alive | 6/10
3. One Million Bullets | 6/10
4. Move Your Body | 10/10
5. Unstoppable | 6/10
6. Cheap Thrills | 8/10
7. Reaper | 6/10
8. House On Fire | 7/10
9. Footprints | 5/10
10. Sweet Design | 9/10
11. Broken Glass | 6/10
12. Space Between | 4/10

Target Bonus Tracks -

13. First Fighting a Sandstorm | 5/10
14. Summer Rain | 6/10

I knew going into this album that it wasn't going to be as good as 2014's 1000 Forms of Fear, however I wasn't expecting the album to be just as good as it is. The concept for This Is Acting, is that Sia sings songs previously written for other artists by her that have been rejected because they don't appeal to the artist or fit with the album.The first single Alive is, not the best point on the album - although I do think Adele was silly to cut this from her album 25. Bird Set Free then followed as a promotional release, after originally being written for Pitch Perfect 2, given to Rihanna and then Adele. There are various stand out's her including House On Fire, Unstoppable and Reaper however there are three tracks that steal the show. Cheap Thrills (originally for Rihanna's ANTI), Sweet Design and of course Move Your Body completely sell the album, each for different reasons. They are different, fast paced and interesting.

Overall, This Is Acting isn't by any means as well crafted as 1000 Forms of Fear, but it stands on it's own as new and creative album that has something that will impress anyone, even if the cover is quite frankly, terrifying.

This Is Acting 6.4/10 (B-)

Rihanna - ANTI

Track listing with individual rating:
1. Consideration (feat. SZA) | 5/10
2. James Joint | 2/10
3. Kiss It better | 3/10
4. Work (feat. Drake) | 3/10
5. Desperado | 4/10
6. Woo | 1/10
7. Needed Me | 7/10
8. Yeah, I Said It | 4/10
9. Same Ol' Mistakes | 5/10
10. Never Ending | 5/10
11. Love on the Brain | 6/10
12. Higher | 6/10
13. Close to You | 4/10

Exclusive to ANTI (Deluxe)

14. Goodnight Gotham | 8/10
15. Pose | 2/10
16. S*x With Me | 4/10

Personally, from what I have heard from Rihanna in the past, this is definitely her worst album to date. ANTI is quite a car crash of music as it's sound, genre and style is often jumbled and inconsistent. If you are looking at the track listing thinking "Well where's FourFiveSeconds" I am just as confused as you, as even though I don't personally think that this song is amazing by any means, it is much better than most on ANTI. The album starts with Consideration (feat. SZA) which is definitely a highlight from the album, playing with various vocal changes. The instrumental is where this track is let down, dull and unimaginative. The lead single Work (feat. Drake) is quite honestly a disaster in terms of vocals with a weak and dull instrumental, how this song even reached the top 20 in the mainstream chart is beyond me! The album does get progressively better until reaching Woo which is probably the worst song of the last few years. There are three stand out tracks on the duration of the album, Needed Me, Love on the Brain and Higher as they each offer something unique to the album and the mainstream music industry as a whole. The real stand out is only included on the deluxe edition of ANTI, Goodnight Gotham samples Florence + The Machines "Only if for a Night" and it is mixed so well I feel that makes it the best track on the album, however it doesn't feature a main vocal so may not be for all.

Overall, ANTI is by far the biggest let down Rihanna has ever produced, however, there are a few songs i would be happy to add to my regular playlist - but not enough to warrant me to buy the album. Luckily Rihanna has released the album on TIDAL completely free of charge (you can download your copy here) which has began to start rumors that ANTI may only a build up to an official album including the various previously released singles as well as various other tracks.

ANTI 4.3/10 (D-).

Now you can review an album!

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Album's You've Heard and Your Review

Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:50 pm

Beauty Behind The Madness (By The Weeknd) - 10/10

1. Real Life
2. Losers (Ft. Labrinth)
3. Tell Your Friends
4. Often
5. The Hills
6. Acquainted
7. Can't Feel My Face
8. Shameless
9. Earned It
10. In The Night
11. As You Are
12. Dark Times (Ft. Ed Sheeran)
13. Prisoner (Ft. Lana Del Rey)
14. Angel

I love every song on the album, its a great listen.

25 (By Adele) - 9/10

1. Hello
2. Send My Love (To Your New Lover)
3. I Miss You
4. When We Were Young
5. Remedy
6. Water Under The Bridge
7. River Lea
8. Love In The Dark
9. Million Years Ago
10. All I Ask
11. Sweetest Devotion

Target Edition

12. Can't Let Go
13. Lay Me Down
14. Why Do You Love Me

Also a great album, worth the money and I recommend you get this!
credz to sam!
feed the flames. be chosen.

ChainedOak
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:06 pm

Well, Here we go...
Nevermind, Nirvana, 1991

Track listing with individual ratings
1. Smells Like Teen Spirit- 10/10
2. In Bloom- 8/10
3. Come As You Are- 8/10
4. Breed- 7/10
5. Lithium- 9/10
6. Polly- 9/10
7. Territorial Pissings- 7/10
8. Drain You- 8/10
9. Lounge Act- 9/10
10. Stay Away- 9/10
11. On A Plain- 7/10
12. Something In The Way- 10/10

I love this album, and in my opinion it doesn't have one bad song on it- I would easily say that Nevermind is one of my favourite albums ever. I may have reduced the rating for some of the tracks because of the sheer number of awesome tunes Cobain, Novoselic and Grohl have to offer. Well worth a listen, as well as their other two studio albums Bleach and In Utero, MTV unplugged and the compilation album Incesticide. Released in 1991, it introduced grunge to the world and propelled alternative rock into the ears of millions.Nevermind also created the mega hit "Smells Like Teen Spirit", arguably the song of a generation.
Overall, 9/10 \m/

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:57 pm

I'm not going to do some big post about this album as it really doesn't need it

Foxes - All I Need - 3/10

It isn't a good album. It falls very very short of her first album which i love to bits. All the songs feel and sound very similar.
Even the good can fall from grace

Jack
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:31 am

As many people here will know, I am a sucker for Dream Theater. But yet I kept my hype for the new album to myself somewhat...I say that, but now that I have heard it many have seen that I want everyone to here this masterpiece. To write a review of this album going song by song does not do it the justice it deserves, the two parts can almost be considered one continuous song.

The whole thing is an elaborate story that I am not going to spoil, and honestly I cannot do much more of a review without it. The music goes perfectly with the tone of each part of the story. Everything from John Petruccis guitar solos and Mike Manginis drumming goes perfectly to the message that the music is trying to convey, all whilst James LaBrie delivers the best vocal performance he has done in years and considering he is voicing so many different characters, this is a very impressive feat.

I don't want to say anything more about the Astonishing, but I will say that to listen to this album in it's entirety very closely will make your life better, this is something very special, and is the performance of a band that only comes around rarely.

10/10

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Topic Author

Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:26 pm

ROZES - Burn Wild

Track listing with individual ratings

1 - Everything | 7/10
2 - Desirable | 8/10
3 - R U Mine | 6/10
4 - Burn Wild | 8/10
5 -In & Out | 7/10
6 - Fraigile | 7/10
7 - Forever | 6/10

Burn Wild is the debut EP by American alternative artist ROZES. Leading from the major U.S. success of The Chainsmoker's 'Roses' which featured vocals from ROZES, it was inevitable we'd be seeing solo music from ROZES soon. I must admit this EP is very very good. The songs are neither too loud nor too boring, resulting in this smooth listening soft R&B influenced sound, yet when combined with ROZES haunting vocals the tracks feel so unique. The most radio friendly song in this record is "In & Out" which seems as though it was made for success, however it is yet to achieve any.

ROZES is definitely one to watch, and I expect to be hearing more from her in the next 12 months!

Burn Wild - 7/10 | B+

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:39 pm

Gunship

Bought this album a month ago to listen to in the car and I'm so glad I did. I usually find retro synthwave stuff a bit dull but this album feels like it's got a lot of emotion in it and isn't just a gimmick, but a love letter to the 80s done in it's own style. My first impression was the second half of the album was weaker but having listened to it more I love every track. I'd rate it 9 out of 10 only because it's not long enough. There are 3 remixes at the end which are nice but not a fully satisfying replacement for more original songs.

DONT LOOK DOWN
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:57 pm

Views by Drake

Track list:

1. Keep the Family Close
2. 9
3. U With Me?
4. Feel No Ways
5. Hype
6. Weston Road Flows
7. Redemption
8. With You
9. Faithful
10. Still Here
11. Controlla
12. One Dance
13. Grammys
14. Childs Play
15. Pop Style
16. Too Good
17. Summers Over Interlude
18. Fire & Desire
20. Hotline Bling (Bonus)

A long album like this has taken a while to listen to entirely and decide my favourites.
I was put off by the mixed critic reviews of this album, and this probably this comes from the similarity of View's album to previous ones. Despite that One Dance and Hotline Bling have been great successes.

I think Keep the Family Close stands out from the other songs as the sound is quite different from the other tracks but its still a great song, despite not having a catchy chorus like many other songs on Views.

7.5/10

George B
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:04 pm

Blink 182- California

1. "Cynical"
2. "Bored to Death"
3. "She's Out of Her Mind"
4. "Los Angeles"
5. "Sober"
6. "Built This Pool"
7. "No Future"
8. "Home Is Such a Lonely Place"
9. "Kings of the Weekend"
10. "Teenage Satellites"
11. "Left Alone"
12. "Rabbit Hole"
13. "San Diego"
14. "The Only Thing That Matters"
15. "California"
16. "Brohemian Rhapsody"

This album is the embodiment of the General Public's nostalgia for the 1990's. After Tom DeLonge left the band, it is the first album by Blink 182 to feature the new guitarist, Matt Skiba. This album is a very welcome return to the humour that made the original Blink 182 albums so great, as immature humor songs, "Built This Pool" and "Brohemian Rhapsody" prove that Blink are back, and hame moved away from their recent, more serious albums. However, this album is not perfect, as many Blink traditionalists claim that it is not the same without DeLonge. Personally, I believe that Matt Skiba is a decent enough replacement.

9/10

Another review because I haven't posted on this forum in ages.

The 1975- "i like it when you sleep, for you are so beautiful yet so unaware of it"

1. The 1975
2. Love Me
3. UGH!
4. A Change of Heart
5. She's American
6. If I Believe You
7. Please Be Naked
8. Lostmyhead
9. The Ballad Of Me And My Brain
10. Somebody Else
11. Loving Someone
12. I like it when you sleep, for you are so beautiful yet so unaware of it
13. The Sound
14. This Must Be My Dream
15. Paris
16. Nana
17. She Lays Down

The first single that was released from this album, "Love Me", I initially hated it. About four listens to it, I was amazed by how much I actually loved the song. When the album dropped, I listened to it all the way through on a train to Leeds. This is the best Indie album I have heard this year. (joint with What Went Down-Foals). As an album, it sounds fantastic. The production is excellent. Highlights of the album include 'The Sound' and 'Somebody Else'. The best case I can give for how good this album is me just to tell you to listen to it.

10/10

Thanks to NemesisRider for the signature

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:08 am

Avatar is a band I've only recently discovered but I love their eccentric style and furious riffage. I'm not the biggest fan of death metal and lucky for me this newest album has a huge range of other metal styles too. There's still lots of screams and growls which isn't a bad thing as long as it's mixed with some clean vocals too. I'm also a sucker for a concept album too, and the idea behind this one is charming, the fable of an owl who goes to war with the daytime to create a perfect world for her children. It adds emotion and charm which many metal albums lack being more interested in super seriousness but you can have fun and tell a story while still creating amazing metal.
I give it an A as I can see myself coming back to this album time and again, with every song I find myself going 'ah this one's awesome!'. Also, it's helped widen my musical horizons a little bit.

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:30 am

A Day To Remember - Bad Vibrations

This is the newest album from Florida rock band A Day To Remember. These guys are my favorite band going for a good 2 years. Since their last album was 3 years ago and after their legal court case with their former record company, this is the first self released album by the band.

The general vibe of the album is based on multiple different subjects or events that has surrounded the band. It is an album that covers many different stories and topics.

The album itself is in my opinion great. it has the blend of heavy songs and more punky songs the band is famous for. From thrashy metal song "Paranoia" to the punk vibe of "We Got This". There is a song for most fans of the rock/metal genre. The second half of the album is definitely the stronger side of the album but IMO an overall fantastic album. Not my favorite album of 2016 (So far it is Dance Gavin Dance's newly released album "Mothership" Which i may review soon), but it is a strong album coming from a band that has been through he highs and lows of a important legal battle which was won byt he band and has now given them the freedom to do whatever the band wants instead of obeying by what a record label wants.

Warning:The Album does contain explict language

Rating: 8/10

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:40 pm

Views - Drake

1. Keep the Family Close
2. 9
3. U With Me?
4. Feel No Ways
5. Hype
6. Weston Road Flows
7. Redemption
8. With You
9. Faithful
10. Still Here
11. Controlla
12. One Dance
13. Grammys
14. Childs Play
15. Pop Style
16. Too Good
17. Summers Over Interlude
18. Fire & Desire
20. Hotline Bling (Bonus)

I know that this review is VERY late, but since Drake has announced his UK tour in 2017, I am now listening to his music again - well, even more than I already was!

I have several favourite songs from this album, which are...

Controlla
Pop style
Too Good
With You
Weston Road Flows

I also do like Grammys as well as One Dance, but One Dance is far too overplayed! Drake has definitely been massive in the UK charts this year, with the songs Too Good (ft. Rihanna), One Dance, Controlla and Hotline Bling being in the top 10, and with One Dance at number 1 for 15 weeks! The other songs have been in the top 10 for a long while, and now still in the top 40!

The album itself was at No 1 for only 2 weeks. This album is definitely Drakes most successful album, but not my favourite for sure! Go give this album a try, and I'm looking for Drake's future work!

This album does contain EXPLICIT songs/lyrics (pretty much all of them! :D )
credz to sam!

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Topic Author

Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:51 pm

Lady Gaga - Joanne

Standard Track Listing

1 - Diamond Heart | 10/10
2 - A-Yo | 10/10
3 - Joanne | 7/10
4 - John Wayne | 9/10
5 - Dancin' In Circles | 6/10
6 - Perfect Illusion | 8/10
7 - Million Reasons | 6/10
8 - Sinners' Prayer | 7/10
9 - Come To Mama | 7/10
10 - Hey Girl (feat. Florence Welsh) | 7/10
11 - Angel Down | 8/10

Now, I'm not a big Lady Gaga fan in the slightest - in fact her earlier material I find quite cringe worthy. All I can say is what a surprise Joanne is! There isn't a particularly bad song on this album and I'm surprised, as I initially disliked "Perfect Illusion" a great deal but when listened to as an entire piece it works together perfectly. The country/rock vibe this album holds is something truely unique and I love how different it is. Joanne is one of my top albums of 2016 and I am well and truely shocked!

Joanne gets a solid 8/10 from me.

Two Door Cinema Club - Gameshow

Deluxe Track Listing

1 - Are We Ready? (Wreck) | 8/10
2 - Bad Decisions | 7/10
3 - Ordinary | 8/10
4 - Gameshow | 10/10
5 - Lavender | 7/10
6 - Fever | 7/10
7 - Invincible | 6/10
8 - Good Morning | 8/10
9 - Surgery | 7/10
10 - Je Viens De La | 6/10

11 - Gasoline | 7/10
12 - Sucker | 7/10

If you'd told me Disco and Rock could be combined I'd have never have believed it - however Gameshow proves it can be done well! The only issue I have is on certain songs the vocalist goes way too high for way too long, but other than that great. A very good album with some real standout on it, one of my top albums of 2016 so far!

Gameshow gets 7/10 from me!

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:13 pm

24HRS - Olly Murs

Tracklist:

1.) You Don't Know Love
2.) Years & Years
3.) Grow Up
4.) Unpredictable
5.) Back Around
6.) Deeper
7.) 24 Hrs
8.) Private
9.) Love You More
10.) Read My Mind
11.) Better Than Me
12.) Flaws
13.) That Girl
14.) Before You Go
15.) Better Without You
16.) How Much For Your Love

Olly Murs is back, after a small break, and yet again he has topped his last album. There is something about an Olly Murs album that is very upbeat and energetic which I Love! There are countless top songs in this album as well... With the following tracks being the highlights!
1.) You Don't Know Love
3.) Grow Up (Favourite in this album!)
5.) Back Around
7.) 24 Hrs
14.) Before You Go

With that being said, those songs may change, but this review is based upon me listening to the album 3 times now (since release), but Grow Up and You Don't Know Love was released before this release! Olly Murs is also great live, so hopefully seeing him next year as well! Would recommend this album to pretty much anyone who likes an upbeat song, or something to sing-a-long to in the shower!
credz to sam!

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Topic Author

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:34 am

Ed Sheeren - Divide

This is not Mr. Sheeran's best album. Not by a long shot.

I won't go into detail on this album, which I've got to admit is probably the worst album of 2017 thus far and it'll take a lot to beat it. This album takes everything good about his previous albums, rips out any originality and replaces it with a ballad. The other songs on the album, including the ever popular "Shape of You", fail to capture any originality in their lyrical content and it's a real shame.

Divide gets a 2/10 from me.

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:37 pm

MORE LIFE - DRAKE

Tracklist:

1. Free Smoke 4/5
2. No Long Talk ft. Giggs 4/5
3. Passionfruit 5/5
4. Jorja Interlude 3/5
5. Get It Together ft. Black Coffee and Jorja SMith 5/5
6. Madiba Riddim 5/5
7. Blem 5/5
8. 4422 ft. Sampha 5/5
9. Gyalchester 4/5
10. Skepta Interlude 4/5
11. Portland ft. Quavo and Travis Scott 5/5
12. Sacrifices ft. 2 Chainz and Young Thug 5/5
13. Nothings Into Somethings 4/5
14. Teenage Fever 4/5
15. KMT ft. Giggs 5/5
16. Lose You 3/5
17. Can't Have Everything 4/5
18. Glow ft. Kanye West 5/5
19. Since Way Back ft. PARTYNEXTDOOR 5/5
20. Fake Love 5/5
21. Ice Melts 4/5
22. Do Not Disturb 4/5

Overal - 4/5

I was not expecting this "playlist" to actually be this good! And now sits as my second favorite Drake album (behind Take Care and in front of If Your Reading This It's Too Late). The entire album has pretty good songs, and only featuring Fake Love from his 'tease' releases from 2016 (Fake Love, Sneakin' & Two Birds One Stone). My favorites in the album are, Passionfruit, KMT, Get It Together, Madiba Riddim and Glow. With Passionfruit and Get It Together as my favorites! Also with that being said I was a little disspaointed that the rumoured Rihanna, The Weeknd and Jay-Z songs didnt happen. But nethertheless, its a great album!!

P.S/. Regarding Divide (Ed Sheeran) read Owens post (above) as I'm pretty much gonna put the same thing! But, adding to his post I think Ed Sheeran has gone to 'poppy' and mainstream. But I like the songs Galaway Girl and Shape of You (the one with Stormzy in), otherwise, thumbs down from me!
credz to sam!

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
Topic Author

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:39 pm

The Chainsmokers - Memories...Do Not Open

1 - The One | 3/10
2 - Break Up Every Night | 1/10
3 - Bloodstream | 2/10
4 - Don't Say (feat. Emily Warren) | 4/10
5 - Something Just Like This (with Coldplay) | 3/10
6 - My Type (feat. Emily Warren) | 3/10
7 - It Won't Kill Ya (feat. Louane) | 7/10
8 - Paris | 3/10
9 - Honest | 2/10
10 - Wake Up Alone (feat. Jhené Aiko) | 4/10
11 - Young | 1/10
12 - Last Day Alive | 2/10

The album starts with "The One", setting the tone of what is probably the dullest album in recent memory, along with some of the most teeth gritting vocals I have heard in awhile. We then move onto "Break Up Every Night" which is quite honestly one of the most cringeworthy songs I've heard in years, Taggart sings "She's got 7 personalities but every ones a tragedy" when I reality the only tragedy here is the song. "Bloodstream" came next and honestly I just skipped through to find the instrumental was just a slower "Something Just Like This". "Don't Say" finally gives us a break from the X-Factor reject vocals of Taggart to bring in long time collaborator Emily Warren, this song is actually fairly nice the issue lies in the pretty poor lyrics. "Something Just Like This" is simply a slightly faster "Bloodstream" with some slightly cringe worth vocals from Chris Martin, it gets old fast. Emily Warren turns up yet again on "My Type" which although sounds pretty similar (yet again) to their other work it's bearable, and I might give this a re-listen once and awhile. "It Won't Kill Ya" features French singer Louane and honestly this one song wipes the floor with the rest of this album. It's so unique and so interesting whilst going back to a style similar to "Don't Let Me Down". "Paris" comes next and it follows suit of the previous songs of being a bore. "Honest" once again brings back a slightly cringe worthy Taggart with a weak instrumental. "Wake Up Alone", which had a last minute change to Jhené Aiko from Dua Lipa (good choice Dua) is again on a similar level as the Emily Warren assisted tracks, so close but so far from being great. "Young" is yet a another cringe worthy piece where 27 year old Taggart tries to relate to teens with a pretty bad instrumental due to what seems to be a quarter life crisis. Finally "Last Day Alive" is a bit of a bore, that's all I can really say.

Overall, after being a fan for 2 and a half years waiting for an album with songs similar to Kanye, Let You Go and Roses (one of my all time favourite songs) this album is a complete disappointment with little to no merit. Unfortunately it's shown the duos true money grabbing colours which they try to disguise by claiming the album has a tonne of meaning. I however can see past this to find a very bland, boring and effortless album not worth anyone's time. Take the album title as a warning, Memories...DO NOT Open!

Memories...Do Not Listen Open gets a 2/10 from me.

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:00 pm

Since I love them, I'm going to try and review every Coheed and Cambria album since their inception! So let's begin with:

The Second Stage Turbine Blade

Track Listing:

1. Second Stage Turbine Blade
2. Time Consumer
3. Devil in Jersey City
4. Everything Evil
5. Delirium Trigger
6. Hearshot Kid Disaster
7. 33
8. Junesong Provision
9. Neverender
10. God Send Conspirator

Debuting in 2002, The Second Stage Turbine Blade was New York based progressive rock group "Coheed and Cambria"'s first studio album. This album is a full on concept album - following the stories of various characters in a sci-fi universe created by the band's lead singer, Claudio Sanchez. These include Claudio Kilgannon (a teenage boy, who is the protagonist and destined to destroy their universe), Coheed (his father), Cambria (his mother) and Newo Ikkin (Claudio's girlfriend).

The album begins with an odd introduction, sounding as though it's a transmission on an old radio before immediately seguing into Time Consumer. This song is probably my favourite on the album due to the amazing work from all members of the band, the awesome riff and the catchy chorus. Time Consumer is emotional - in this part of the story the character Coheed is told he must kill his children for the safety of the universe, and this song is him coming to terms with that. Probably a top ten song for me overall.

Next up is Devil In Jersey City, where "Coheed and Cambria" showcase some of their poppier elements. It's very fast-paced, and definitely a good follow up despite the honestly quite disturbing story to this piece. Although if you want to listen, just be warned - it's one of the band's most explicit songs! Following Devil is the fan favourite from this album - Everything Evil. Considered to be one of the best "Coheed and Cambria" songs of all time, it has a cool structure and feels like it is constantly evolving. The end is a highlight too, where Claudio Sanchez shows his emotional range with him pleading that "you'll make it if you believe".

The final song I'm going to talk about in any great depth is "Delirium Trigger" - Track 5. This is one of the older tracks on this album, dating back to an EP from 2001 the band released. It's oddly creepy - it's said to be inspired by the Alien series. The emo element of the band comes out here with screaming and the great lyrics, though it's not anywhere near my own Coheed Top 10.

All in all, this album is generally very good (with the run from "Time Consumer" to "Delirium Trigger" being the strongest section). Despite the fact the production value is honestly pretty low, the album is still enjoyable. It provides a tragic start to the Amory Wars universe, and a brilliant start Coheed's career. My main issues with this album lie with tracks like "Hearshot Kid Disaster" and "Junesong Provision" - they're a little too emo or forgettable and I just couldn't enjoy them the first time. The ending has some cool songs ("Neverender" is a great song about moving on and long term relationships, and "God Send Conspirator" has another great riff) so you're not left with a sour taste in your mouth. Claudio Sanchez is a one of a kind singer and he really shows his vocal range in "Time Consumer" and "Delirium Trigger" (plus he gets even better on in later albums in my opinion).

I would definitely recommend this album, however if you're new to the band I wouldn't recommend starting here (in album terms, start with Good Apollo Volume 1). This is probably one of their least accessible albums - but if you fancy a listen, start off with Time Consumer (you won't regret it!).
Check out my NoLimits 2 creations here
"I'm a bit sad that you can't at least look round without being blamed for 75% of all kidnappings ever"

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:25 pm

Mallory Knox - Wired

Wired is the latest release from the U.K. Pop/rock band. After a wait of over 2 years. Mallory Knox are back with their new album which in my opinion is fantastic.

Mallory Knox are a rock band from the United Kingdom who's music has recently hit the radios and received more mainstream attention whilst still sticking to their rock roots. The album overall is exceptional. From the singles including "Better Off Without You" to "Lucky Me" and then the other songs from the album like title track "Wired". This album is typical Mallory Knox with the maybe heavier sound on some of the songs but then feature traditional sounding Mallory Knox in the later songs.

Aside from the album; they recently toured promoting the album and I was lucky enough to see the band and they can definitely live up to quality sound from their albums. Overall a solid band with a solid new record on the table, if you can catch these guys on tour next or in the upcoming festival season I would definitely check these guys out and listen because they are only going to get better with age. If you like bands like Don Broco, You Me At Six or Lower than Atlantis, you'll certainly want to check these out

Rating:9/10

Jack
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sat May 27, 2017 12:48 am

ALESTORM - NO GRAVE BUT THE SEA (Oh wow!)

Now before you all scream "JACK, YOU ARE SO GODDAMN BIASED IT'S YOUR PROFILE PICTURE! YOUR REVIEW WILL BE POINTLESS AND I WILL LOOK ELSEWHERE" I must first say, yes I am biased, I LOVE Alestorm, they are the essence of everything I love in music and they are genuinely brilliant musicians. Oh and I think I'm hilarious so please read on :lol

Now here goes the review:

No Grave But the Sea (Title Track)
Oh wow! What better way to start an album than with arguably the best song on it? It is musically brilliant, with the signature Alestorm pirateyness and not too much sillyness on this track. Quite heavy as well.

Mexico
Oh wow! Have you ever wondered what pirate metal made in Mexico would sound like if it were also dance party music? Well here is the answer. Full of Mexican stereotypes and places to get free Alcohol.

To The End Of the World
Oh wow! My personal top song on the album, more serious than the other songs it talks about a quest to the end of the world.

Alestorm
Oh wow! A song about the band. It has metalcore vocaals. The video also has Alestorm beat up Midget Alestorm.

Bar ünd Imbiss
Oh wow! A drinking song about a bar. Schlumpfi to be exact. It's rather silly.

...With an Anchor
Oh wow! Don't let your parents here this song.

Pegleg Potion
Oh wow! Almost probably a song about an alcoholic beverage made from a pirate with a pegleg.

Man the Pumps
Oh wow! A song about a leaky ship and a need for all crew members to pump with both hands 'till they're back on dry land...

Rage of the Pentahook
Oh wow! I think it's about Captain Hook if he went on a murderous rampage and drank a load of rum. The music is good too.

Treasure Island
Oh wow! If Saints Row was a song, seven minutes long and about pirates you'd get something probably different to this song.

I know I haven't said much about the musical side of it, although I love Alestorm the music is both amazing and similar due to the pirate theme, however it's not a bad thing in the slightest so go and listen to this album, it's very good.

Oh wow! 9/10