UK theme parks from another point of view!

james3906
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Project 2020

Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:41 pm

Havent been on this site in a while!
Just thought I would add (not sure if this has been said before) that the CHIP posters are for the team to know the number to call the operator about queue times etc. My friend who works here told me this. He also added that the staff found out about people talking about it therefore, they moved the one in the Swarm so people would notice it and create more discussion! 

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:33 pm

Well whoops :lol

Although to be fair, they deliberately placed that first sign in an attraction that had no stated queue time, and in a style fitting the theming they were using. So they knew what they were doing from the start! :lol

I noticed last week that they reduced the number of posters in the old laser gun pick up point/now shop, but have left the CHIP poster up. Bad design team! :P

H8223R
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:28 pm

Hmmm, could we have had our first tease for 2020?
Thorpe's 2018 end of season video surfaced on Twitter a couple of days ago and one shot in particular caught my eye:
Towards the end of the video (1:00 exactly) a random shot of a field is placed. Why place this in a video celebrating the 'best season yet' when there are many other things you could include from this packed year? Some believe this to be either Logger's Leap or the land behind the Swarm. I took to google maps in search for the location of this shot, here is how I narrowed the location down:
  • Thanks to the camera flipping up in the next shot I was able to identify a lake with two islands in it - St Ann's Lake South-West of Thorpe Park. Out of the two locations Swarm Island is closer. 
  • Not only this but the ground towards the bottom right of the clip is much browner than green like the grass and greenery near logger's leap
  • The shape of the land is very pointy so I looked for pointy outcrops of land around the island, and loggers leap just to be sure
After a little bit of searching I believe the location that this was filmed was on the Island behind The Swarm but on a little outcrop adjacent to Stealth. The exact coordinates from Google Maps are: 51.405236, -0.516806.  This would make sense as the drone operator could stand near Stealth or Sunken Garden which is a very short distance from the location.
This is either poor editing or a little tease for things to come. I hope it's the latter.

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:22 pm

H8223R wrote:
Hmmm, could we have had our first tease for 2020?
Thorpe's 2018 end of season video surfaced on Twitter a couple of days ago and one shot in particular caught my eye:
Towards the end of the video (1:00 exactly) a random shot of a field is placed. Why place this in a video celebrating the 'best season yet' when there are many other things you could include from this packed year? Some believe this to be either Logger's Leap or the land behind the Swarm. I took to google maps in search for the location of this shot, here is how I narrowed the location down:
  • Thanks to the camera flipping up in the next shot I was able to identify a lake with two islands in it - St Ann's Lake South-West of Thorpe Park. Out of the two locations Swarm Island is closer. 
  • Not only this but the ground towards the bottom right of the clip is much browner than green like the grass and greenery near logger's leap
  • The shape of the land is very pointy so I looked for pointy outcrops of land around the island, and loggers leap just to be sure
After a little bit of searching I believe the location that this was filmed was on the Island behind The Swarm but on a little outcrop adjacent to Stealth. The exact coordinates from Google Maps are: 51.405236, -0.516806.  This would make sense as the drone operator could stand near Stealth or Sunken Garden which is a very short distance from the location.

This is either poor editing or a little tease for things to come. I hope it's the latter.

This is the screenshot in question.
And this is where the shot is:

I've seen a lot of people try to take this little clip out of context, thinking its something to do with 'ahhh its wood, rmc confirmed!'/ahhh thats loggers area'. Thorpe won't build anything here because frankly that would be a bit stupid to slap a coaster there. A while back when there were going to build an actual hotel, that would have gone near this area, but we won't see anything there. They probably thought the shot was cool and so they used it. Nothing to see here folks.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:01 pm

theparklifekid wrote:

I've seen a lot of people try to take this little clip out of context, thinking its something to do with 'ahhh its wood, rmc confirmed!'/ahhh thats loggers area'. Thorpe won't build anything here because frankly that would be a bit stupid to slap a coaster there. A while back when there were going to build an actual hotel, that would have gone near this area, but we won't see anything there. They probably thought the shot was cool and so they used it. Nothing to see here folks.

We will see development on this land ;)

H8223R
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:09 pm

Ahhh thanks for the correction. Just another tease to create confusion, and, well, it clearly worked.

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:12 am

sw7nutter wrote:
theparklifekid wrote:

We will see development on this land ;)

Apart from the fact that it’s well away from the park itself and they probably don’t own that land.
[Insert Signature Here]

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:54 am

Bert2theSpark wrote:
Apart from the fact that it’s well away from the park itself and they probably don’t own that land.

I have to be very careful with what I say due to contractual agreements so I can't say much. However the park do own that section of land as the hotel was/is meant to be situated next to it.  

Htjc_
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:32 pm

Ooh, stirring the pot...
Please! No more IP's Thorpe! I'm begging you!

The Nemesis Fox
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:50 pm

Is it just me or has the 2nd island changed? I remember there being weight testing on the island behind Swarm but now from this image, I’ve got a hunch. The island seems to have had work to it, before it would’ve been left to overgrown but in the image it looks like it’s beenprepared for something. Could be wrong but I think this and 2020 add up somehow.
Icon Dare To Ride

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:43 pm

As far as I'm aware no work has happened at the park, except to making the area that Sanctum was on last year more usable for triathlons and other community events.

Htjc_
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:13 pm

Anyone noticed any planning applications? Seems like it's about time one popped up. I'd look but I don't really know how to...

Justin
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:26 pm

Nothing yet, but it could drop anytime over closed season; that is if it needs planning permission!

Swarm Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:34 pm

If it doesn't need planning permission then it will be a disappointment!

Please don't let Vulcan Peak of Disappointment be the theme. Please let Vulcan Peak of Disappointment be the theme. :lol

Htjc_
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:10 pm

I agree, if there is no planning permission then I will be having a word with Merlin!

ScottLann
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:16 pm

The picture attached is just a brief idea of where I'd imagine a hyper to go and what the layout of it would be.... at this rate though, looks like it ain't gonna happen  :lol

Edit: How do I paste/attach pictures to posts?? For some reason it isn't showing up :(
Be Chosen - Join Us - You Better Not Go Alone - Assume The Position - Don't Look Down - Sit Back, It's Fright Time

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:31 pm

The new entrance will require planning permission. 

Htjc_
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:56 pm

To attach files you go into the full editor and preview and underneath where you would write text there should be a tab labelled options, and to the right should be a tab labelled attachments. From there you click add files. I hope that made sense as I am new to this site still!

ScottLann
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:23 am

Hopefully this has attached now....
Attachments
3D View Small.jpg
2020 Idea
3D View Small.jpg (61.97 KiB) Viewed 212 times
Be Chosen - Join Us - You Better Not Go Alone - Assume The Position - Don't Look Down - Sit Back, It's Fright Time

Eternalyz
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:41 am

ScottLann wrote:
Hopefully this has attached now....

Seems like a good layout, probably wouldn't be a hyper as it would probably be less that 200ft due to height restrictions. And Merlin probably plan to use the island behind Swarm for their next coaster