UK theme parks from another point of view!

whiteboyz
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

GET TO THE PARK & MORE, HELP :)

Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:19 am

Hi,

Im a Spaniard attracted to theme parks and Rollercoasters in particular and decided this year to go to MAnchester, visit the city and go to AltonTowers. I've seen the transportation solutions a little complicated, A train to Stoke and then to the park... Question is, The Potteries line going on from Stoke to the park seems to run only till early september, and I'm only going about the 10-11th Sept.

I was thinking about renting a car for the day and go directly, may be faster and more comfy. What do you recommend? If rental company, wich one do you trust?

If I'm going the 10-11th september, do you recommend getting the fastrack? Entrance for one day or two? Considering that i'm going alone, the single rider queues may help, right?

About the park I'm going to read carefully all your recommendations :)

Thank you for all your help!!

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Re: GET TO THE PARK & MORE, HELP :)

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:34 am

I'm no Northerner so I can't exactly help with transportation advice but the days when you plan to visit are before September and are slightly after when most schools go back so it should be fairly quiet. Probably you don't need to get fastrack, as long as you are happy enough to use SRQ. From looking at queue times previously, probably the best tactic, as a single rider, is to go to Forbidden Valley to get Galatica/ Nemesis out of the way as neither of them have SRQ. Then, probably get the skyride or walk down through the valley to Dark Forest for Th13teen and Rita, before going to X Sector to get Smiler/ Oblivion ridden using their SRQ lines. This means you probably will be able to have ridden the big 6 by latest midday. From what I have seen from videos this year, you probably will only need to do 1 day, especially as the 11th September has awful opening hours 10-4.

jackf1tz
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:43 am

If you're thinking about renting a car, I trust enterprise or europcar. it's best to book in advance though so you know they've got a car there for you.

Other must do's at the park (as well as the big six)
Congo River Rapids, Hex, Duel, Spinball Whizzer and if you have time, Sharkbait reef is amazing, unless you're doing the Sea Life in Manchester.
This ride is perfectly safe. Everything has been designed for your comfort, and enjoyment.

whiteboyz
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:00 am

Thanks so much Jack! I'll look after Europcar or Enterprise then, all Car hire companies have so bad press and after reading a pile of reviews I really could not say wich one to choose... Because after everything I've read it's the easier way to get to the park.

REgarding time of visit, do you recommend one or two days? I think I'll go with two, for the price difference... but is it worth buying the fastrack?

Thank you for your comments

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:46 pm

As someone who doesn't visit the park regularly, I personally find two days is best. Sure, you'll probably get virtually everything done on day one, but then you have day two to get back on your favourites and just generally feel like you've completed the park.

If you're going 10th/11th Sept, I believe you're looking at a Sunday and Monday just after most local schools will have returned. This should make the park relatively quiet, with queues for the larger rides hopefully staying under 20-30 minutes all day. As such, I wouldn't bother with the fastrack, as it probably won't make enough of a difference. Two days should easily be enough time to experience everything without fastrack at that time of year, especially if you're making use of the single rider queues.

Regarding transport, I'd agree that the car hire may be the best option. However, you willl have to remember to budget an extra £6 per day in parking costs and remember to buy your parking ticket from the booths at the park entrance.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

whiteboyz
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:22 am

Thank you Burniel!!

The info is much appreciated :) I think I'll go for two days, eventough, taking in consideration that the park is only open from 10 to 17h on Sunday (too short I consider) and the difficulty of hiring a car the same morning, parking hassles and everything... I'm thinking about getting a hotel directly in Stoke, so I could get a taxi / Uber to get to the park and do the most of the day (I've seeen that I can get in one hour early booking on line) Because the bus does'nt work till later... I made a reservation thet could be canceled at the hotel so I may stay directly in stoke, at least the days I' considering to go to the park.
I'll follow your advice and see on site before considering any fastrack :)

Thank you very much for all your advice. Any other suggestions would be apprciated!!

whiteboyz
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:38 am

ThemeCrafter264 wrote:
I'm no Northerner so I can't exactly help with transportation advice but the days when you plan to visit are before September and are slightly after when most schools go back so it should be fairly quiet. Probably you don't need to get fastrack, as long as you are happy enough to use SRQ. From looking at queue times previously, probably the best tactic, as a single rider, is to go to Forbidden Valley to get Galatica/ Nemesis out of the way as neither of them have SRQ. Then, probably get the skyride or walk down through the valley to Dark Forest for Th13teen and Rita, before going to X Sector to get Smiler/ Oblivion ridden using their SRQ lines. This means you probably will be able to have ridden the big 6 by latest midday. From what I have seen from videos this year, you probably will only need to do 1 day, especially as the 11th September has awful opening hours 10-4.

Thank you!!
Sorry I didn't see your post at first :) So is there an app or something to know the queue times or shown in a blackboard or something I guess. I'll follow your advice to go to the rides and try to do every ride without a single rider queue.
Thank you very much again!

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:38 pm

whiteboyz wrote:
ThemeCrafter264 wrote:

Thank you!!
Sorry I didn't see your post at first :) So is there an app or something to know the queue times or shown in a blackboard or something I guess. I'll follow your advice to go to the rides and try to do every ride without a single rider queue.
Thank you very much again!

http://ridetimes.co.uk is the place to go to for current queue times.

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:12 pm

Download the app as it has a map of the park, queue times, and other helpful stuff like a planner!
Ride count 2017: 346!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 857!
Cred count: 65!

whiteboyz
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:17 pm

Liam.W wrote:
Download the app as it has a map of the park, queue times, and other helpful stuff like a planner!

Woah! Thank you!!
I'm considering taking a hotel in Stoke-on-trent and get by cab to the park, I know that on sunday there's no service of bus, so I would have to go and return by cab but in the other hand the opening time is 10-17h and one hour early if I book online, compared to 10 to 16h of opening times Monday and Tuesday...
Does anyone know a cab or private car company to do that at a reasonable price? because there's no car sharing app that works like BlaBLaCar?
Thanks

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:21 pm

I think your best option is to just ring up some local taxi companies (google should help you with that) and get a rough price. 

jackf1tz
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:51 pm

You could always use Uber If you're looking for an app.
This ride is perfectly safe. Everything has been designed for your comfort, and enjoyment.

whiteboyz
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:09 am

Liam.W wrote:
I think your best option is to just ring up some local taxi companies (google should help you with that) and get a rough price. 

Thanks so much guys, I've got three phones and got a rough quote, I'll see how will I do at last :) Thanks for your help!!

whiteboyz
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:50 pm

Hi Guys,

Finally I'm going to do for two days and for a couple pounds more i get the Nemesis fastrack.

I'll follow your advices and go to the Galactica and Nemesis.

I'm now looking at the app to get info and plan everything :)

Any other advice that comes to your mind will be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:32 pm

Sorry to say this but the Nemesis fastrack is a waste of money. Nemesis very rarely gets a queue longer than 5 minutes.

whiteboyz
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:18 pm

Liam.W wrote:
Sorry to say this but the Nemesis fastrack is a waste of money. Nemesis very rarely gets a queue longer than 5 minutes.

Thank you Liam, then I'll save my money on that :)
What do you recommend about food in the park? any suggestions?

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:06 pm

Bring a pack lunch (even just getting something from the supermarket will be considerably cheaper and probably tastier than on park).

whiteboyz
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:11 pm

ThemeCrafter264 wrote:
Bring a pack lunch (even just getting something from the supermarket will be considerably cheaper and probably tastier than on park).

thank you :) I'll follow your advice then :D