UK theme parks from another point of view!

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin
Topic Author

Dragon Falls Tiger Retheme - 2018

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:16 pm

As reported on SouthParks News, Chessington have submitted plans for a refresh of the Mystic East area, including a re-theme of Dragon Falls.

If the plans get the go ahead, we'll be seeing 3 new interconnected tiger enclosures, as well as new landscaping and theming in the form of a tiger's head on the final drop of Dragon Falls which guests will pass through on the ride. The tiger tunnels which connect the enclosures will also potentially see the tigers walk over guests heads as they walk from one enclosure to the other.

This is very exciting news, and personally I'm so pleased that the tigers will be getting a much larger enclosure as their current home, in my opinion, is far too small. I also love the idea that one of the tiger tunnels passes over the drop for the flume meaning potentially a tiger could sit and watch you as the ride drops!

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Re: Chessington - The Future

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:22 pm

I must admit i'm rather excited by this and now that Lakey has put the image of a tiger watching the flume ride drop I want that to happen so much :lol

What will be interesting to see is how the rock work will actually look. The plans only give so much away and we won't have an idea of how it will actually look in the area until it is done. Hopefully they won't mess it up as if they get it right it could look magnificent.
Even the good can fall from grace

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:27 pm

Even though this isn't a new major attraction it still looks like a really positive development for Chessington which will refresh one of the tiredest areas of the theme park.

Although not all of Mystic East is part of the planning application, hopefully the parts which lie outside of the planning boundary will also receive some general works to have them looking nice alongside the main development.

Luce
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:59 am

I love the idea of Mystic East receiving some TLC as it's overdue and will be nice to have some tigers to look at as well. Chessington has always been a pretty scenic park and this will be a nice addition.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:41 am

As posted on SouthParks Facebook, the redevelopment of Mystic East and retheme of Dragon Falls has been approved. For those interested, you can read the report and decision notice here, although it's all fairly standard.

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:40 pm

Merlin have applied a trademark for 'Tiger Rock' which is most likely the new name for Dragon Falls. 

Also I wonder if they will they will change the the station as it is a very nice themed station and I wouldn't want it to disappear. This project very nicely themed and I hope the theming level stays the same throughout the whole of the Mystic East retheme/refurb. I'm looking forward to seeing this reopen next year!
[Insert Signature Here]

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:45 pm

Me too. The concept art looks very similar to Wild Asia - so hope they still keep them looking different.

Muppet738
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:14 am

Was at chessington on Saturday saw framework for peeking heights on the back of a truck leaving park.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Re: Dragon Falls Tiger Retheme - 2018

Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:16 pm

Some photos from today have been posted on SouthParks Facebook, showing the first stages of groundwork in Mystic East.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:21 pm

A photo posted in the MAP Facebook group has confirmed that Dragon Falls will indeed become 'Tiger Rock' in 2018.

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:50 pm

Strange how it was anounceed today, I mean most Merlin additions are announceed in January of their opening year, I guess ghis addition is fairly small when compared to other additions across the Merlin theme park (Non Cbeebies). This addition does looks promising though! Nice to see Dragon Falls is getting well deserved attention.
[Insert Signature Here]

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:54 pm

I have to admit, I'm really liking the look of this retheme! Initially I was a bit skeptical, but the oncept art look cool!

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:32 pm

I'm not going to lie. I'm rather excited by this. I know its only a small thing to many people given its only really themeing and a couple of enclosures, but I think its going to look pretty epic when its done. I just hope they do it justice and really do it well. 
Even the good can fall from grace

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:53 pm

Thought I’d add my two pence on this topic. Really glad to see Mystic East get a refresh - it really needs it. Dragon Falls’ current theming has been in a bit of a state since the statues around the drop got removed, and the paintwork hardly looks fresh. It’s also nice to hear about some new animal enclosures, always good to see more animals at Chessington! I guess it’s a fraction sad that it’s the end for Peeking Heights, it’s a decent Ferris whee but nothing I’m too worried about losing. I think this retheme will be worth it all in all!
Check out my NoLimits 2 creations here
"I'm a bit sad that you can't at least look round without being blamed for 75% of all kidnappings ever"

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:28 pm

Seeing all the construction for myself last week, it's becoming a lot more real and exciting for me. As a local, Dragon Falls was one of my favourite attractions at the park, and has always had some kind of magic around it, which was enough in itself to make me more than happy to sit on it and appreciate it all day, in spite of the (let's face it) relatively sorry state it's found itself in over the past few years. I'm hopeful that this re-theme will manage to modernise and more immersively theme the ride while keeping that sense of nostalgia in place, and if Gruffalo is anything to go by, we're in for exactly that.

Just wanted to pick up slightly on this little corner of the concept art:

This seems to hint quite heavily towards the park keeping at least some of the current oriental architecture around the area, which I personally would like to see, provided it gets a good clean!
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

Owen
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:06 pm

The existing oriental theming is anticipated to stay :)

ThemeCrafter264
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:52 pm

The official announcement is "We’re very excited to announce NEW for 2018, Tiger Rock, an exhilarating log flume in NEW Land of the Tiger. Get a unique view of our majestic Amur Tigers, before descending a misty waterfall drop, right through the centre of a giant tiger's head carved into the imposing rock." Image

Bert2theSpark
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:50 pm

Misty waterfall drop, as in the drop will have mist effects, or is it just PR?
[Insert Signature Here]

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:32 pm

Bert2theSpark wrote:
Misty waterfall drop, as in the drop will have mist effects, or is it just PR?

For now, I would guess it's simply PR amplifying the effect of the water. The same effect is applied on any Merlin map. I would think having misters at the bottom of the drop could be a hazard for the very close tiger enclosures, but it would look cool if done safely.

Something new for me from this (I don't think it's been formally revealed before this?) is the red colour on the boats, which I really like. Oh, also, the girl at the front of the boat made me laugh. :lol
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

jackf1tz
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:06 pm

This seems like a great addition to the park, Dragon Falls looked really tired before this. On another note, Land of the Tiger? Early day for the Merlin Naming team I guess :lol
This ride is perfectly safe. Everything has been designed for your comfort, and enjoyment.