UK theme parks from another point of view!

Redcoat Jase
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fear of Rollercoasters?!?

Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:30 pm

I was just wandering why people 'fear' rollercoasters?
I must admit that whenever Alton Towers have a new coaster, i want to ride it, but inside i'm pretty nervy so i can understand why people are nervous, but i can never understand genuine fear? :?

I was just interested out of 2262 (subject to change) users on Towers Times, how many of you have actually been ill (vomit wise) after riding a Rollercoaster at Alton Towers?

The reason i've started this topic is because me and aload of friends want to visit Alton Towers in the new year, but one of them is scared stiff (for some reason) of visiting! Apparently this is because she fears being 'sick' after riding? I've tried telling her that all of the times i've been to AT and NEVER have i seen this happen! lol.

What do you think? :-?
...is no longer a member of TowersTimesForum

Sazzle

Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:33 pm

Having intense bouts of nervousness can make you ill, its happened to me before but never after riding a rollercoaster. Putting your body under severe stress can make you very ill, even if its for a short time.

I've seen people throw up at parks before, though because of pure nausea (i.e. teacups at Towers, someone threw up at (not on :P) my feet!).

Redcoat Jase
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:36 pm

Yea! Even i've felt sick on the Tea cups, and possibly even Hex - But never a Coaster! :?
...is no longer a member of TowersTimesForum

Jnewcombe
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:41 pm

the only time i felt ill was repeat nemmy rides ( 8 ), after a massive dinner and a few pints , wait time for nemmy was walk on i had to sit down after my 8th ride as i was gonna vomit, and i wasnt gonna waste my beer and food i just paid for lol

Jon
42% of Statistics are made up on the spot!

daboywunda
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:26 pm

during adrenaline week, i had ridden rita 4 times, corkie twice, oblivion twice, submission and enterprise in the space of an hour or so. then rode spinball which was very nearly the end of me! I felt so ill it was unbelievable. was the sandwich I had bought from the service station not 2 hours previous.

Oh, and this one time at Global Gathering last year, we went on a ride binge on the fair there. was on one of them spinny pendulum things which made me very ill after a few beers and no sleep!

Tom M
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:33 pm

Only once have I ever felt sick on a ride and that was Nemesis.
You try getting the worst headache in history in the boiling hot sun then ride Nemesis front row twice in a row, headbanging mania. Felt sick afterwards because of my blooming headache, ah well a nap in the car on the way back made it better. :)

symone
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:45 pm

I dont fear roller coaster BUT i do suffer from panic attacks, these panic atacks are brought on by stress or adrenalin (my body sees it as a fight or flight and this sets off a panic attack my body cant see the difference between the adrenalin from being scared and the adrenalin from being excited) its a visious circle.

The only ride it has stopped me going on is oblivion, i forced myself to go on it butt he build up of panic was unbelivable! But when i went on Rita i didnt get any of that so i do think the psycological effects of Oblivion play a part!

I think it will also play a big oart on whether i go on Stealth or not! We will see!

I have taken two people on colossus at Thorpe and one was violently ill (was very amusing but boy was she ill!) and one suffered sucha huge panic attack she couldnt get out of her seat!

AstroDan

Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:09 am

I always get nervous when riding coasters I havent been on before. Like the first time I went on Rita, I was fine till I got to the stairs up and I began to feel shakey! But then it was fine.

The most scared I have ever been at AT was when I first rode Oblivion. I was breathing erratically and was really concerned. I love it now however.

The most scared/nervous I have ever been was Silver Star at Europa Park. Now, the ride may not make even the top 50 of the coaster polls but at the end of the day this beast is one of the highest chain-lift coasters in the world. Being pulled up 240feet gradually is one daunting task. In the queue I felt horrendous and when we got to the bottom of the lift chain I looked up and thought' My god, this thing is huge - massively dominating Poseidon and Euro Mir'. I felt really nervous but it was worth it. Critics may condemn its trim brakes but it's lightning fast (0.6mph slower than Stealth) and mighty high (35ft higher than Stealth) and lasts a good chunk. Even though Silver Star is not themed dramatically or designed to induce fear. the simplicity of its massive metal structure is just insane.

barryzola

Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:54 am

Astro dancer said "I was breathing erratically and was really concerned."

lol, i love your chice of words there. Great stuff.

I dont get sick on coasters (well, i felt a bit sick on nemesis when me and my mate went on Nemesis about 5-6 times in a row), it's the spinners that get me (they get me real good)! If i was ever to have the misfortune to find myself on enterprise there would be vomit spraying out the side of my carriage for sure. I went on the waltzers in the dark at drayton (whatever its called) earlier this year cus my mates talked me round. Half way through i was also very "concerned".

themeparkfreak
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:47 am

for some reason I always, no matter what i'm riding, if ive rode it before or not, feel nervous before going on a ride. I even felt nervous before going on that weird tour thing at Madame Tussards, its just the noises of the restraints coming down, the car slowly climbing the hill, e.g. But It makes the ride even more fun.

Andyc Nemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:27 am

I had a fear before i was very nastly pushed on Nemesis. But, i think you get over it. I think it depends on the person,a dn the only way to find out if you will be ill is to do it. My mum feels ill if she does Nemesis twice but has never been ill.

I have never been ill either, just push them on and then they will know. Just sit a few seats infront :D

Anonymous

Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:39 pm

I wouldn't say I fear any rides - I just wouldn't go on certain rides. Some spinny rides make me feel ill. Not many, but if somebody spins the teacups too fast (Adz.;)) then I feel very crap, and Quantum! at Thorpe Park! Can't stand the ride - last time I went on it, I nearly threw up on Crofty and Wayne mmmm! So I won't go on that again.

It's not a fear as such, it's just a dislike because they make me feel ill, even though I've never actually been sick.

As for other people, well, different things make different people tick. Some people have higher tolerance for these kind of things, I guess. People throwing up after rides DOES happen, and I guess it's not very pleasant for the person who's been sick in public, so I can understand someone being 'scared' of going to AT if they think they can't quite stomach the rides.

I know if AT was a park full of Quantums, I'd be damn scared too and wouldn't go!

Anonymous

Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:30 pm

oblivion makes me nervous every time I go on the ride, I love it to bits but while Im queing I generally go abit quiet.

Ive seen a mate of mine come of Hex and be sick, he sat with his eyes shut after about two seconds and just kept saying "when will it stop, I need to get off" - it wasnt very pleasent to watch him suffer.who am I kidding I was laughing like hell.

Thinking back to the last meet-up I think I was with Wayne and Crofty on Air and when your waiting to go back into the station there was some sick on the floor there, that wouldnt be very nice for the person with the whole queue line watching.

Phang Obsessed
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:27 pm

I am always so nervous in the queues it makes me ill - especially on Oblivion when the videos made me crap myself (not literally, and it won't stop me laughing at Storm when she does similar). But this boy with us told us how he was feeling sick but was still going on, and I felt a little* reassured.

I have never been sick on a coaster. Almost hit with sick once, but never actually seen anyone puke.

*A very little little.
New signature being made, you better believe it biatch!

ShadowTD
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:51 pm

@Barryzola: Ahh, you mean the Black Revolver. Only been to Drayton twice: the first time the BR was utter rubbish - the cars didn't spin they just went round. Pathetic!

The second time, some Tamworth doleite (kidding! I love Tamworth and one of my best friends is from there) had seen fit to get the WD40 out. Me and two others in our car honestly though we were going to die. I *very nearly* blew my cookies but managed to hold on. After drinking two bottles of water I felt much better. And went on G-Force. Pillock :shock: :shock: :shock:

$t£v£
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:09 pm

Someone was sick on Nemesis lift hill last time i was there and the staff just threw sawdust on it :shock:
$t£v£, formerly Mr Writer.

Lozza
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:32 pm

i've always been nervous about rollercoasters, i never was the confident one! but i haven't felt ill due to nerves before.
on adrenaline week, i rode oblivion 6 times in a row, that and running round to the queue each time made me feel ill- it was alwful. it was the end of the day so we tried to get in as many more rides as possible, we were running round on a full stomach and i was out of breath as we were coming to the drop plus the mist was on giving me a headache. it wasn't very nice.
i've always had that sick feeling in the bottom on my stomach on rides such as blade but i have never actually felt like i was going to be sick :D
:D

m4++
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:33 pm

I used to be scared of any ride, I don't know why as I weren't scared of it breaking just scared lol. About two years ago on a school trip to Thorpe Park my mates made me go on Nemesis Inferno now I'm hooked! lol They don't make me sick at all I've eaten a McDonalds and been on Ripsaw and felt fine but for some reason the only ride that still scares me is Oblivion I dont know why because I think its really good it just scares me!

CGM
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:57 pm

I used to have this as well, although I was a coaster enthusiast at the time (wierd I know). I was at Disneyland Paris and was about to not go on Indiana Jones but then I told myself, this is daft, you know loads about coasters but you won't even go near one. So I just marched up the queueline and got on without a second thought and that's how it began. although that has to be one of the roughest rides ever I had finally gone upside down on a coaster. I don't know why I was scared now

Beaver Dude
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:03 pm

I rarely ever fell sick and I only feel nervous before Detonator and Oblivion. Teacups used to make me ill but I find that it depends which way the are spun for some reason. So yeah I don't really have a problem with any rides.yet.