UK theme parks from another point of view!

Thom
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:26 pm

Earlier this week on the popular Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - The Ride attraction a fire took place.

Caused by lightning and harming no-one, the fire happened in the 'Hall of Mirrors' section of the boat ride.

The ride remains open with minimal damage being done.

I wonder what damage has actually been caused? I'll have to check it out tomorrow...

Thom... :)

Thomas
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:33 pm

Nothing look damaged or looked like a fire had taken place today

While on the subject of CATCF i will give my thoughts, the whole ride is great IMO from the moment you enter the video room all the way to the exit, i especially liked the elevators, mind you for some reason the que went dramatically down around 1.30ish so that may have had a impact on my fought by not having to wait ages, also the music is great & kinda catchy

Rating 9/10

Sir John Talbot
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:00 pm

I agree Thomas. I wouldn't give it a 9/10 but I certainly don't think it's a bad ride.

The music is amazing. I think the facade is among the best theming on park. The station lighting is very magical and atmospheric! And I feel the theming is generally good, the problem is the quantity of it for me personally, not the quality.

metaltoast
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:08 pm

You've got to remember that everyone who comes to AT likes different rides so younger kids might want rides like Charlie & older people might want rides like Air or Rita. It's a shame that people vandalize them for whatever reason - their spoiling the ride for other people!
You don\'t realize how much you rely on the internet until you don\'t have it!

SPELLING - It\'s a doddle with Firefox 2 & it\'s built in spell checker!

Thomas
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:12 pm

"metaltoast" wrote:
You've got to remember that everyone who comes to AT likes different rides so younger kids might want rides like Charlie & older people might want rides like Air or Rita. It's a shame that people vandalize them for whatever reason - their spoiling the ride for other people!

Even so if the ride was aged a young en's it doesn't mean the ride doesn't have to be of a descent standard, but IMO CATCF does it very well, yes it is a shame that people have to ruin things for there own pleasure, stupid in fact

Thomas

Dan84
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:33 pm

"Thomas" wrote:
Nothing look damaged or looked like a fire had taken place today

There wasn't a fire as such, it was caused by on the flood lights on offload (which was left on overnight), not lightning.

It burnt through one of the wooden arches at the offload platform, but it only burnt the back of the wood so guests wouldn't have seen it.

John
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:40 pm

I'll repost what I said that got lost during the downtime: catcf is not a lost cause, at the moment its pretty poor but it wouldn't take much to make a fantastic ride. TLT cost £1 to theme from scratch, catcf is most of the way already it just needs some more theming added to keep people's attention through the boat ride. The lifts are already good but at the moment they're just too little too late.

If more money was available I'd like to see additional scenes added to the boat ride, and the mirror maze removed - there's loads of material in the book that could have been used on the boat ride, and it just looks like AT were unwilling to spend enough money to get a decent ride, when they could have spent a million or so more and got the best dark ride in the UK.

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:54 am

"duckman" wrote:
when they could have spent a million or so more and got the best dark ride in the UK.

... now you mention that :P

There have been talks that after John Wardley was spotted riding CATCF late last year, a team of people, including John Wardley will spend £1 Million on CATCF over closed season, be it little changes over the place of something else.

This is only what I have heard, so don't shoot me.

Its great news either way, John Wardley working with Alton Towers again! Well I do say, spiffing news ;)

:D

nemesis_nut
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:34 pm

im not impressed by CCF. I think they could of done more :(

phillipvass
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:24 pm

Its great news either way, John Wardley working with Alton Towers again! Well I do say, spiffing news

Amen brother

AstroDan

Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:53 pm

Have we any idea if the park is still anticipating improving the attraction over the closed season? It is being debated on a few forums but nobody seems to know anything.

Sir John Talbot
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:42 pm

What actually can they do to make the ride good though, I can't but my finger on anything that would take the ride from it's current state and make it a decent ride. Far too many corners cut to make anything special of it now, even if a pretty decent sum of 1 million is used. All the themeing is pretty mediocre, more of it just won't make a huge different. Who knows, if John Wardley isn't involved it really doesn't matter, because any improvements will be poor aswell.

Alton really f'ed up on this one.

Anonymous

Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:46 pm

I'm hoping to see some improvements. I don't think it's impossible. The lift is great, it's the boat ride and there's only so many ways a boat ride can really be improved?

Obviously there's been no official confirmation (and why should there be - you think AT are going to admit their most recent new attraction already needs improvement?), but I think seeing John Wardley riding at the end of the season may be a good sign - I don't know. Fingers crossed.

But then another part of me thinks - along with the Air tunnel - why would they go back and spend money improving existing attractions? Both Charlie and Air were marketed during their opening year and people came, they rode, they spent their money. So what if the guests think Charlie is a poor attraction. They can't exactly market Charlie as a 'new and improved' ride and expect people to flood through their gates. So what would they be improving the rides for?

I don't know, as you can see, I'm hardly a business brain.

Craig

Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:51 pm

At the very basic minimum, I hope the niggly bits of the old attraction are fixed. Not far into the season last year, we had a pair of very very squeaky lifts. Then, further along the season we had things left on top of the lifts and the final straw for me which was a massive collection of moths on there which totally spoiled the experience.

Obviously, a improvements on a larger scale would be much more appreciated as opposed to fixing things which broke last season. As Kaycee, said there is a possibility that improvements have been made, but personally I don't think we're going to see anything major when the park re-opens in March.

Sir John Talbot
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:00 pm

Yeah, I agree, the chance Alton Towers will go back and add themeing to a ride is extremely low.

The squeeky lifts tookk the biscuit for me though, the one slightly OK bit of the ride just ruined.. you could see the Guests reactions were just like 'This ride is absolutley awful!'

Anonymous

Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:06 pm

Would hope that alton see how bad it is.

Ram737
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:15 pm

One word, Animatronics.

I mean look at Bubbleworks at Chessie, now pretty much everything is static and really dull, where as previously at least when you were on the ride your looking at all this crazy things move about.

I really thought that CATCF would have alot of it considering the money they spent, but just didn't happen, big shame.

mezza
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:37 am

I don't think it's unthinkable that CaCF will be improved for 07.

Perhaps, as rumoured, Alton Towers did run out of time when finishing the ride, and rushed to get it open by the day that they'd advertised that it would be open. So maybe they had more bits that are ready to be added to the ride, and rather than closing the ride mid-season, they decided to wait until the closed season to finish it off. Or maybe Alton Towers realise that the ride leaves a lot to be desired, so will invest extra money to get it right.

They did make a few small improvements to the ride throughout the year, so that clearly demonstrates recognition on AT's part that the ride is flawed and that a bit more time and money spent on it could improve it. So maybe they will add a few more bits.

I think it would be unrealistic to expect anything really significant to be changed / added though.
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:15 pm

I heard a rumour (i.e. non factual based claim) that Alton Towers had allocated £1million of this years developments budget to the improvement of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

This is a considerably large sum of money, and probably the equivelent of what they've already spent on internal themeing around the boat ride area. If this happens to be true, we could expect to see some considerable improvements.

Benbrit

Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:31 pm

I heard that rumor too, I dout it will come to light though as the closed seson is almost over. somthing may still happen? we'll just have to wait and hope.