UK theme parks from another point of view!

Daggsy
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wind.. (Not the smelly sort)

Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:47 pm

Does Wind Effect AT ? Just a woundering question, ive seen a few posts of people saying that its been closed cause of the wind, im going on thursday and its 20mph winds =/

Anonymous

Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:53 pm

Alton Towers has only ever closed once during the season due to high winds and bad weather conditions - around the 26th October 2002, where the park opened for a couple of hours, then shut. I remember it well - I'd planned to go that day, then decided against it because of the weather! Only time in its theme park history, I think?

20mph winds isn't THAT fast, is it? :-? Compared to how bad it can get?

Anonymous

Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:53 pm

Most rides can run in wind speeds upto 35mph. Anymore than that will result in most of the rides closing. The rides normally only close because of the risk of falling objects such as twigs and branches hitting the ride and not because the ride becomes unsave, therefore if the wind suddenly picked up and we were unaware of the problem, the ride would still be save and we would close the attraction as soon as we were aware of the problem.

Anonymous

Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:57 pm

Couldn't the wind get so bad the rolercoster or whatever come off the tracks?

Anonymous

Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:03 pm

nope has most of them have road wheels (run on top of the track), side guide wheels (self explainitory) and up stop wheels (once again no need to explain what they do). Bearing all that in mind it would be pretty dawn hard to get a train to derail due to wind speeds.

Joe from the IOW
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:05 pm

But if the wind got really strong, couldn't it blow the coaster backwards at a really slow point of the ride?
For all the Latest News and Media on the Isle of Wight\'s favorite attraction visit . . .

www.behindthechine.i8.com

Phil
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:07 pm

"Bigdave_15_1985" wrote:
nope has most of them have road wheels (run on top of the track), side guide wheels (self explainitory) and up stop wheels (once again no need to explain what they do). Bearing all that in mind it would be pretty dawn hard to get a train to derail due to wind speeds.

Yep, it would have to be some massive, hurricance force + winds to drag a train of its tracks!

Becuase the train isn't actually a very big surface area, it would make it even harder. If a train had a big sail or something attached to it then it might come of more easily!

AT is located on relatively high ground so winds are common. And as kaycee said, there has only ever been one closure due to high winds.

Anonymous

Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:07 pm

On some rides that could happen but you would need very strong winds in order to do that and most of our rides travel far to fast to be effected by the wind speed. Air would probably be effected the most but it can run in wind speeds upto 40mph.

Anonymous

Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:57 pm

Id have thought spinball would be quite affected by strong winds, its quite exposed at the first block brakes and its already stalled on the heimelman (sp?) before, and with it having I expect the lightest trains (due to small size and small capacity) Id have thought it would have been voulnerable.
Just thoughts

Mankey
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:15 pm

"Kaycee" wrote:
Alton Towers has only ever closed once during the season due to high winds and bad weather conditions - around the 26th October 2002, where the park opened for a couple of hours, then shut.?

I remember that! once we went to drayton manor during a big thunderstorm, it was uber windy and baisucally all the rides shut. So we went round on pirate adventure loads of times.

man, imagine being at the top of oblivion on a VERY windy day... that would put you off the ride for sure!
[b]Back from hibernation![b]

Matt 125
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:15 pm

Id have thought spinball would be quite affected by strong winds'

I was thinking that because if the wind was really strong it could spin the cars more and cause a nauseating experience. would be pretty fun though! :twisted: Anyways wind must be quite a factor for Ug Swinger because well it's obvious and would be very vunerable to winds pushing the chairs into one another!

I remember the closure I was their the following weekend because they rescheduled the fireworks to the Sunday night.

Matt :D

stokywolf
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:40 pm

The 1st Winter weekend last year, Oblvion had to close for the entire 4 hours and also enterprise for a while becuase of really high winds. Also The Black Hole, (God bless her) kept on stopping at the same point on the lift hill, the ride assistant said it was something to do with the weather :?
Tavern hall of famer - rockerz my sockerz

Joe from the IOW
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:57 pm

Why would it be somting to do with the weather if The Black Hole kept on stopping, its inside isn't it?
For all the Latest News and Media on the Isle of Wight\'s favorite attraction visit . . .

www.behindthechine.i8.com

Rekki
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:59 pm

the cold was possibly effecting the hydrolics.

sky ride has to close in anything over 30 i think

For the wind to affect a coaster to the extend it rolled back or somthing, it would have to be very very quick, dont forget that roller coasters are designed to overspeed around the track, and the speed is kept down by trim breaks.

Anonymous

Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:34 pm

"Kaycee" wrote:
Alton Towers has only ever closed once during the season due to high winds and bad weather conditions - around the 26th October 2002, where the park opened for a couple of hours, then shut. I remember it well - I'd planned to go that day, then decided against it because of the weather! Only time in its theme park history, I think?

Kayceeeee knows all about wind problems :P

Shent
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:40 pm

SkyRide has to close in winds over 40MPH, im not sure about any others. i know flume can stay open unless it gets reallly bad.

Matt
......The one and only... :sus:

Anonymous

Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:19 pm

"Ade""][quote=""Kaycee" wrote:

Kayceeeee knows all about wind problems :P[/quote]

Girls don't fart, Ade.

Back on topic anywaaaay, Daggsy, I don't think you have anything to worry about. ;)

Steighvo
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:15 pm

Finally someone else who agree's with my theroy that girls don't fart. It's just an icky thought.

On topic: In relation to wind problems what can rain do to the trains of a roller coaster? Is there any way the ride can speed up due to the track being wet?
Just a question i've aways wanted to know
Touch my beans... said the man!

allyouwant
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:30 pm

I have a vague memory of someone saying it speeds them up a bit, but obviously not enough to be any danger.

easier then a gmtv competition question!

CGM
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:36 pm

I don't blame them for closing that day. I was in the area and we were driving. Trees and telegraph wires down everywhere