UK theme parks from another point of view!

Nutty dreadz
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Corkscrew - Only 1 train running?

Wed May 24, 2006 11:42 pm

Every visit to AT I've had this season, the corkscew has only been running one train with passengers - Both trains have been on the track, but they have been sending one round empty?

Anyone know why this is? My first thought was that because it wasn't busy, but last time I went, there was a fair bit of queue and still doing it?

Any guesses? :-?

Scotzguy
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 25, 2006 7:39 am

I noticed this as well on 1st and 2nd April when I was there, found it strange actually, first guess was that there was somethin wrong with one of the trains, but surely they'd have sorted that out by now if that was the case? :?

Matt 125
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 25, 2006 5:21 pm

Yes I noticed this when there for Chocolate Towers. It was the longest I had queued for Corkie for ages. . . they had both trains, one was empty, one had guests. After about 10mins of sending one train round empty they started running both with guests, quite weird really!

Anyone work on Corkie on here and can explain why?!?!

Matt :D

AstroDan

Thu May 25, 2006 5:25 pm

I am no expert, but as far as I am aware, it's simply due to capacity reasons. Sometimes you find that if the queue is short (i.e. under 10-15mins) they will run one train. If the queue gets longer, they usually bring in the 2nd train and run at full Corky Capacity.

:W

(if i'm wrong, correct me peeps!)

Nathan
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 25, 2006 5:26 pm

Well it only worked with 1 train last year in August when i went. Surely it would have been fixed during closed season.

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 25, 2006 5:33 pm

It was running with both trains loaded with guests on 10th May for a while in the afternoon, but by the time we joined the queue only 1 train was being used again, as the queue was almost non existant.

Have seen 1 train operation a fair bit last year, and so far this year on Corky, and the 2nd train normally comes in to play when the queue grows quite long, though quite how long it has to be before 2 train operation seems to be at operators discretion.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Lauren
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 25, 2006 6:27 pm

I went on the 9th of april (chocolate towers) and both were working?

Redcoat Jase
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 25, 2006 6:43 pm

I would hazard a guess and say for safety reasons. :|
...is no longer a member of TowersTimesForum

John
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 25, 2006 6:50 pm

I think this is pretty normal, whenever they bring the second train into operation they send it around empty for a bit, presumably to let it settle in and warm up or whatever.

I don't think its a problem with the train, or they'd just leave it on the storage track.

Lauren
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 25, 2006 6:55 pm

How do they get it onto the storage track :?

Phil
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 25, 2006 7:16 pm

Heres what i have always thought:

Whether they run one or two trains in the morning is dependent on the expected/estimated capacity of the park. If they expect it to be bust they will test two trains and start with two trains.

So going from that, if it is expected to be relatively quiet they will test and operate one train. If for some reason the park is busier than the estimated guest figures and as a result, the Q is getting long, they will bring in the second train.

Sometimes when you see that there are two trains on the track, one with guests and one empty, i think it is to save time for the assistants. A train can enter the station but the restraints do not have to be opened before it dispatches. So basicly is saves the assistants time opening the restraints then closing them. Doing this saves them taking the second train out of operation which takes a good 10-15 minutes. If there is a Q and there is still one train empty, one train in-use then i can only presume that the operator isn't doing his/her job properly and is not regularly observing the Q line!

Also, if there is a Q but there is one train in operation and one train going round empty, it may be because the second train is still being tested.

But i'm probably completely wrong! Wheres tiger2000 - i'm sure he operates corky! :)

Shent
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 25, 2006 8:31 pm

"Air-Rocks" wrote:
How do they get it onto the storage track :?

lol, its quite cool to watch, the track like rotates and stuff (the brake section by rita's platform) and im not sure why they just load 1 train even though there is 2 trains, maybe due to staff, im not sure, ill try and find out :)
......The one and only... :sus:

Lauren
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 25, 2006 8:52 pm

Thanks , i think its amazing how they can just rotate tracks :D
Back on topic corckscrew is getting rather dated and mabie is starting to see more wear and tear?

JezziWezzi
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 25, 2006 8:59 pm

I went today and there was only one train running. I dont think ive seen it running with two for ages!

Anonymous

Thu May 25, 2006 9:26 pm

Not an expert on Corkscrew but my brother used to operate it since 1996 to 2002. One of the trains is much, much slower than the other one. If they sent the slow train around the system empty they would run the risk of it getting stuck. To prevent this from happening they fill the slow train full of passengers thus making it go faster around the track. The faster train is not loaded this makes sure that the slow train is always full. When the attraction starts to get busy the will start to load the fast train up and the ride will run at full capacity. When the queue starts to die back down they will stop loading the fast train and only load the slow train. Pretty dawn certain this is the reason why corky was only loading one train.

AstroDan

Thu May 25, 2006 9:32 pm

'Slow Train' :shock:

Lordy, if that's correct then that's bizarre!

Phil
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 25, 2006 10:31 pm

"AstroDancer" wrote:
'Slow Train' :shock:

Lordy, if that's correct then that's bizarre!

True, but what dave said does actually make perfect sense!

However it does leave the question, why can't they just fix the slow train?! :P

Moley

Thu May 25, 2006 10:40 pm

"JezziWezzi" wrote:
I went today and there was only one train running. I dont think ive seen it running with two for ages!

There was 2 running when I went on today, though they were sending the second train round empty every 3rd lap or so.

Shent
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 25, 2006 10:40 pm

I am told by a current screw op that, train 2 is a bit faster than 1, but never can it go slow enough to roll back or not make it around. :?
......The one and only... :sus:

plasticboy
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 26, 2006 12:29 pm

I visited yesterday and Corkie was doing this strange 1 car thing again. At the start of the day they were using only 1 loaded train, then they switched to 2 loaded trains and then back to 1 again later on.

I think this is probably simply due to how busy things are. It did seem that they only started using 2 trains when things got a bit busier.