UK theme parks from another point of view!

ryani210693
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

The Resort Feel to you...

Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:54 am

In this thread, post your pictures or even memories of Alton Towers, that think makes it feel like a resort (the look that it has been trying to get recently).

This picture, courtesy of NickAndrews, reminds me of the resort feel AT are after- http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b373/nickandrews/Behind%20the%20Scenes/2006_0715_192856AA.jpg

Just at the crack of drawn, and the monorail slowly goes past, no one on the rides, and the birds tweeting in the sun. :wink:

So, carry on and discuss either your memories that remind you of a resort feel, or pictures you have. Enjoy!

thanks, Ryan.

Jon
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:44 am

That picture is stunning, truly is. One of the best areas of the park looking like that. I haven't found any pictures as yet, but I just had to comment on that picture. Gives you a fuzzy feeling don't it?

xxdagoo
Formerly "Dagoo"

Dave

Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:45 am

i think the hotels need to be more intergrated into the park to be a true resort. not its a case of walking or taking the monorail though the huge capr parks o get to the hotrel/park it sort of breaks the spell that the park puts on you.

if you didnt have to go "into the real world" to get from on to the to the other it would be brilliant. i knwo they have the woodland walk. but how many people actualy realise you can walk back down there at the end of the day?

ryani210693
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:00 am

I agree. To get to the hotels, you have to go through the car park either way, even via the monorail. The magical/resort feel seems to disappear.

Anyway, back on Topic. Your pics/memories

thanks, Ryan.

Redcoat Jase
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:54 pm

It's only a small thing, but i comment on it all the time;

If you sit in the Outdoor Pool in Cariba Creek, and look at the Building (Mainly the large blue tower sort-of-thing where the Master Blaster leaves the building for the first time!) - It feels so much like a resort it's unreal!

I can't say I've ever felt I was on a resort when i've been in the park though, I normally feel it when i'm in the Splash Landings Hotel, most people agree that when you visit there, it feels like you're on Holiday or something! :D
...is no longer a member of TowersTimesForum

spark
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:48 pm

Were was that pic taken from?

Nick

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:50 pm

I took that photo from the lift hil of Air yesterday evening

spark
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:57 pm

I thought it might of been, looks really nice, any chance of some more like that?

Joe-07
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:04 pm

I think FotoWhizz has some great pictures to show this sort of thing. 1 of my favourites is this;

http://www.fotowhizz.com/atrita/atrita001web.htm

:)

spark
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:06 pm

Perhaps if that picture didnt contain any people it would to me

Sir John Talbot
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:09 pm

Hmm, the resort feel.

The best I can image and feel is when I went to Cariba Creek for the day last year for my Birthday with friends. I remember it being dark, we went for a walk around the resort area, after our swim waiting for Flambos to open, and seeing the Alton Towers Hotel statue at the front, lit up, was just so radiant and magical.

The Hotels and Cariba just ooze magic - and they make up for what has been lost at the park. I'll enjoy hopefully doing both Cariba and Adrenaline Week in the same day for my birthday this year :D.

Nick

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:37 pm

Another amazing one of Air

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b373/ ... 2756AA.jpg

I agree with Cariba Creek and Splash Landings being the magic of the park. Sat outside the waterpark like Jase said and looking around just makes it feel like your on a proper holiday

Nutty dreadz
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:45 pm

I don't really agree with the pics of Air - Yes they are fantastic pics, but they dont make it feel like a resort, cos at the end of the days its a picture of a rollercoaster! Dont get me wrong though, it's still a great pic!

But yeah, I think the only thing that I could say makes it feel like a resort, is again, Cariba Creek and Splash, like Jase and Nick have said. Mainly just looking at the front of Splash, and the outside part of the cariba creek.

Kinda reminds me of Dinsey - I know compared to WDW the AT hotels aint realy much, but the fact that they do have a lot of theming put into them, just really reminds me of something you'd expect Disney to have.

Nick

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:49 pm

I think the Uniform change and the menu change for the Secret Garden (now called SGR) in the Alton Towers Hotel is a bad move for the resort feel. The traditional uniforms and the traditional look of the menus made the Secret Garden what it is. The new uniform to come in with the multicoloured stripes wont fit in with the Alton Towers Hotel theme at all

Sir John Talbot
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:05 pm

Oh :(.

Didn't know about that until now. So, it the resturant called "SGR" now? What a shame, the name was great and magical before. I hate shortened names! Whats the menu like? I heard it was very contemporary before and not for everyones taste, so that could be a good thing, but the staff uniforms complimented the place well aswell so that's another shame

What was wrong with the resturant in the first place? It was perfect. This is Alton's downfall at the moment, they don't seem to realise where their priorities should lie.

Nutty dreadz
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:24 pm

Agree with Nick and his Sir on this!

I really cant beleive what they are doing to the restaurant? Why why why? I cant understand why they make these decisions - The menu design, and name just make it out to be some fancy posh restaurant, which it really isnt. The way it was before was perfect, it fitted in so well and gave the hotel that "magical" feel to it I guess. So now what? We're gonna have some posh menu, some posh shirts, in a garden themed restaurants? Yeah cos that fits! That will make such a change, making things clash wont it!

If they are going to change the design and the uniforms, then they need to change the actual restaurant theming too, so it all fits together. Personally, I think it was fine how it was, and nothing should have been changed. "If it aint broken, then dont fix it!"

Redcoat Jase
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:02 pm

The Clientelle that Alton Towers Hotels attract are hardly interested by modern new names changes and new uniforms for the staff. And Certainly making food portions smaller with liquids dribbled on in a patterned fashion is not going to get the likes of me and other working class people to part with their cash!

It doesn't feel resorty at all, and the new image doesn't fit in either.

http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/Resort/foo ... cret16.jpg - Take a look at this image, you only have to look at what that guest is dressed in to see what sort of people eat in 'SGR'. :roll: - In no way i'm i judging people, But sticking something that only Gordon Ramsey could pull off in Alton Towers certainly isn't the way for a Resort to go! - I like the Stripes though! :P :P

spark
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:11 pm

But shouldnt the word Resort be aimed at all walks of people? just because someone decides to dress in sports wear doesnt make them any less intelligent than someone who wears a shirt and tie. :evil:

As for the food AT should cater for all tastes too, :|

Redcoat Jase
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:18 pm

"spark" wrote:
But shouldnt the word Resort be aimed at all walks of people? just because someone decides to dress in sports wear doesnt make them any less intelligent than someone who wears a shirt and tie. :evil:

That's exactly what i'm trying to say - But it seem Alton Towers are aiming this restaurant at a certain clientelle!
Infact, they're aiming the whole Alton Towers Hotel at up market clients, hence the increased price compared to Splash Landings!

It doesn't make sense to me - When people are on park, they have a choice of fast food or eating in the grotty Towers Street Restaurant then in the evening they're offering posh meals!?! :-?

Sir John Talbot
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:28 pm

Catering is awful at the moment. Well, in one sense it's by far the best in the UK, but it's so inconsistant.

In the theme park you have fast food places, which is great, but they should really try to get a more substantial place to sit and eat there, especially if they are a "resort" and refuse to make an Alton Village area. Get a T.G.I Fridays or Weatherspoons in the park!

And then, in the hotels, they're trapped you and so offer you a mediocre buffet and rediculously contemporary options for extortianate prices. Get a cheapy resturant in here! As said, a weatherspoons, or burger bar, or something to widen the audience and market. They could make so much money, but are so very money-grabbing and financial minded they can't even see how it could benefit them in the long-term.

Sort it out Alton! There are plenty things wrong with your park, the least thing the resort needs is a posher resturant update - this is a theme park not the Ritz!