UK theme parks from another point of view!

AstroDan

Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:33 pm

You know peeps. isn't AT just one of the most beautiful theme parks in the world? Those Nemesis/Monorail and Air pics, really stunning. I was just looking through some of my pics - and here's a few that highlight some of the non-rides at AT. Is there a theme park in the world thats as stunning as this?

http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g34/D ... h=imgAnch1

http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g34/D ... h=imgAnch2

Redcoat Jase
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:37 pm

"AstroDancer" wrote:
You know peeps. isn't AT just one of the most beautiful theme parks in the world?

Is that a joke? - They only look good because you're far away from them!
Have you never seen what a state the Monorail is in? or looked how grubby and mingin the Nemesis Monster is? Or seen how dirty and unclean the Air track is?

I'll agree that the setting for the park is beautiful, thats about it though!
...is no longer a member of TowersTimesForum

AstroDan

Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:39 pm

Err, thats what I mean, Jase. I wasn't commenting on the Monorail or any of the rides. I was commenting on the fact that for historical and natural beauty, AT is superb. Better than Europa Park, for example. Of course on theming and state of various attractions, it's not.

I didnt notice the state of Air's track? Or Nemesis Monster, that looks Ok to me. I guess if you go around with a toothcomb, you would notice things. Like the Mad Hatters tea cups at Disney, tut tut - there's paint coming of them. At least there was the other week. :P
Last edited by AstroDan on Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick

Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:39 pm

SGR may target an audience with a better taste for food, but I think that they think that they can advertise the Flambos buffet as catering for a wider variety of foods. The biggest problem with this is the price tage of £19 that comes with it! I think that they should serve pizzas and chips etc at the bars of the hotels later on into the evening

ryani210693
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:40 pm

"Redcoat Jase""][quote=""AstroDancer" wrote:
You know peeps. isn't AT just one of the most beautiful theme parks in the world?

Is that a joke? - They only look good because you're far away from them!
Have you never seen what a state the Monorail is in? or looked how grubby and mingin the Nemesis Monster is? Or seen how dirty and unclean the Air track is?

I'll agree that the setting for the park is beautiful, thats about it though![/quote]

How so true Redcoat Jase!

I suppose being different like having the gardens could bring a resort kinda feel, but i'm not sure. Like you said, they haven't cleaned it up really. The only beautiful thing about it is the gardens.

Plus, i doubt that not cleaning up adds to the resort feel.

thanks, Ryan.

oldgitBEN

Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:45 pm

The resort feel for me was on a meet earlier this year, me and jon walked into the splash landings hotel and I can honestly say apart from being in the car park 2times I never saw the outside world, even the patio in SL doesnt allow you to see out (and i was climbing/dancing a lamp!)

The back of the ATH hotel is so magical, whne there with my fella we had a drink before tea in the secret garden, we sat near the band stand and it was so chilled out and nice - magical even.

I think the hotels capture the resort feel more than the park because they are on a much smaller scale and alton towers have had the chance to really make them sparkle and impress people - if only the park detail was as good.

Redcoat Jase
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:45 pm

I do have a very keen eye, It's amazing the things I notice at Alton Towers - that's probably one reason why i think the place is a sh*thole! :P

I'm even starting to find faults with the theming in the Hotels now!

I've never actually been to a Disney park, I've only seen pictures, but if i'd never been to Alton Towers, and only seen their Press Images, I suspect I would think that both parks are pristine!
I bet I could find a few faults with Disney! :P

Nick

Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:48 pm

Parts of the reception area and the shop of the Alton Towers Hotel is going to undergoe a bit of a clean up with new things added, seat covers changed etc. Didnt find out to much detail, all I know is that it is supposed to be done by the start of this season but put back for some reason!

AstroDan

Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:15 pm

To be honest, if you go to ANY theme park in the world 10 or more times in a year, you are going to find faults that the average once a year or less visitor won't notice.

Although it has to be said, even visitors that don't visit regularly find some parts of AT poorly maintained. Take the Monorail and Skyride as examples! What a way to begin your day - on a scruffy, poor quality Monorail!

Disneyland Paris isn't all that either - i found it expensive and there were MUCH less shows than I had anticipated. There was sacffolding on loads of Main Street USA and loads of the Fastpass machines weren't working! Europa Park remains the cleanest, best value, best entertainment park I have yet visited.

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:32 pm

:roll: Common, everything has its down side. Things do break, go wrong, get tatty. Its not as easy to maintain as you'd think.

My local theatre for example, opened in 1995 and as the years went on, seats got tatty and there were many faults with the building, last year they set up a fund and had it all replaced. This is a small theatre, but still cost over a million.
To do everything you could find wrong at Alton Towers, im sure it would cost as much as a whole new roller coaster, which one do you think the general public would prefer?
We all know AT are doing their best to fix and clean the place up, but it will take time. If they do it over a period of a few years they can afford to maintain and add attractions. Its not like they are made of money.

Everyone goes to the resort for a good time and to enjoy themselfs, and im sure 99% of them do have a good time and don't let afew faults ruin it.

The resort is very much a good way to go IMO and suits the mood in the staffordshire countryside, and isn't like any other loud and exciting theme park.
Don't forget, this 'Resort' image has taken off in the past two years and will need time to settle in and have the full effect. Disney on the other hand have been one for years. Its like compairing a Digial watch with an 100 year old watch, if you get my drift.

Mugz x

:rock:

Redcoat Jase
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:39 pm

"Muggins" wrote:
:roll: Common, everything has its down side. Things do break, go wrong, get tatty. Its not as easy to maintain as you'd think.

My local theatre for example, opened in 1995 and as the years went on, seats got tatty and there were many faults with the building, last year they set up a fund and had it all replaced. This is a small theatre, but still cost over a million.
To do everything you could find wrong at Alton Towers, im sure it would cost as much as a whole new roller coaster, which one do you think the general public would prefer?
We all know AT are doing their best to fix and clean the place up, but it will take time. If they do it over a period of a few years they can afford to maintain and add attractions. Its not like they are made of money.

Everyone goes to the resort for a good time and to enjoy themselfs, and im sure 99% of them do have a good time and don't let afew faults ruin it.

The resort is very much a good way to go IMO and suits the mood in the staffordshire countryside, and isn't like any other loud and exciting theme park.
Don't forget, this 'Resort' image has taken off in the past two years and will need time to settle in and have the full effect. Disney on the other hand have been one for years. Its like compairing a Digial watch with an 100 year old watch, if you get my drift.

Mugz x

:rock:

Alton Towers just let things build up though! They gradually let things get into a state!
For example, the waterparks at Disney World are over 30 years old, but still look as good as Cariba Creek does. They don't exactly go replacing each little bit of theming every year, they just employ people who are willing to care for the attractions properly!

karen1
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:09 pm

Redcoat jase, I have to agree with you that AT just let things build up. I have been to several Disney resorts many times and have taken backstage tours at Walt Disney World where they show you the attention to details that they use. Having learned this I am spoiled by this and I now view AT in the same light. I am not saying Disney is perfect as it is not and I can pick some fault with it, however I can pick so much more at AT (little details like on CACF you can see cables laying alongside the river which would never happen at Disney.)
But on the other hand I go to AT to ride coasters, I go to Disney for other reasons. I love the rides at AT and will continue to go there for many years. In regards to the AT resort although both hotels are nice, the amenaties there are poor in comparison to other resorts. For the amount of money you pay to stay there the quality of the rooms and restaurants should be far better.
Just on a side note though the waterparks at Disney have not been open for 30 years, Typhoon Lagoon opened in 1989 and Blizzard Beach opened in 1997. The Disney waterparks are so much better than CC in my opinion (except for the Master Blaster which is much better than the Crush N Gusher.) Saying that Disney have a lot more room and better weather conditions to build a better standard water park.

In regards to the origional question the resort feel to me is walking the woodland walk to and from the hotel. I love the peaceful walk, then gradually hearing the coasters. As you can get from the hotel to the park without seeing cars, monorails etc you can imerse yourself in the whole resort concept more.

Martin1
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:11 pm

Whatever he said :P

In FV this weekend with the disco going on, and the music, i know its not the nemisis music, but I absoloutly loved it! I could have sat there listening to it all day.

Also, the resort feel, all the smiling faces! Iv never ever seen anyone sad or peed off at the towers. Everyones always smiling, its a great thing to see.

Nick

Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:14 pm

Thats one issue that Terry said to me yesterday when I asked about the Ripsaw themeing, its only something that enthusiasts would notice and people that visit the park often. Although painting rides every season would be absolutely fantastic, the hours that are needed to do it would be too much, cost isnt much of an issue, but seeing as they want to open in February next year they may not run Winter Weekends as there is barely enough time to fit in the maintenance schedules.

AstroDan

Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:27 pm

Disney's main reason for existing is for creating a themed, magical park - that doesn't have many thrilling rides, but is more of an experience day. Disney relies on its theming to be what it is. Alton is different.

Yes, we all know they (AT) could do better - but endless comparison with Disney parks is a little shortsighted. Alton Towers' main pull is - and always has been - the rides and the attractions. The Alton Mouse was never the best looking thing! And neither was Corkscrew. Whilst (as you know) I am able to find plenty of faults with Alton Towers, I don't think someone visiting 10+ times a year, as many of us do, can necessarily make a rounded judgement on the state of the park since we will notice things that most visitors simply wouldn't notice. Yes, Disneyland looks better, from a theming and upkeep perspective and yes, there isn't much excuse for some things, but at the end of the day, Oblivion was a 'magical' ride for Alton Towers - and it's a very different magic to the 'magic' of It's a small world at Disneyland Paris. The financial clout of Disney Corporation is also vast. £50million on Expedition Everest. I mean, that blows everyone else out of the water.

Although it has to be said, themed parks can still offer an array of rides and attractions - Phantasialand, Port Aventura, Europa Park. So on that basis, we can still demand Alton Towers to improve. It is, however, easy to point and blame AT for not doing enough. I am sure DIC and Tussauds are pulling strings that we don't even know about.

Altonator
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:17 pm

"Redcoat Jase" wrote:
It's only a small thing, but i comment on it all the time;

If you sit in the Outdoor Pool in Cariba Creek, and look at the Building (Mainly the large blue tower sort-of-thing where the Master Blaster leaves the building for the first time!) - It feels so much like a resort it's unreal!

I can't say I've ever felt I was on a resort when i've been in the park though, I normally feel it when i'm in the Splash Landings Hotel, most people agree that when you visit there, it feels like you're on Holiday or something! :D

Is this what you are talking about Redcoat Jase?

http://altonator.myphotoalbum.com/view_ ... l_pics_101

http://altonator.myphotoalbum.com/view_ ... l_pics_108

http://altonator.myphotoalbum.com/view_ ... l_pics_117

http://altonator.myphotoalbum.com/view_ ... l_pics_100

http://altonator.myphotoalbum.com/view_ ... el_pics_86

http://altonator.myphotoalbum.com/view_ ... el_pics_99

My Alton Towers / Theme park pics can be seen here
http://altonator.myphotoalbum.com/albums.php
Whatever the weather outside it\'s always tropical at Cariba Creek

Nutty dreadz
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:38 am

Great pics there Altonator! And yeah, I believe those are the pics he was talking about! (I should know, he goes on about it every time we go cariba creek :P

And having looked at those properly, it does look really really good - That's a pretty good looking hotel! Like I said before, its a hotel you'd expect to see in Disney - But just how long is it till it starts to look more outdated and starts getting tatty!

And as for the whole argument with "Tatty Towers", i couldnt agree more on this one. They really do let things build up and makes them look tatty - I can understand that repaints on coasters take the time and cost money, but they should take the time! Obviously its not something that can be done every year, but they need to have some sort of limit as to how long they leave it - I wont used Oblivion as an example, as they use the excuse of the sun for that, but Air has been open 4 years now and looking dirty - How long do you reckon it will take that to get a repaint?

As people have said, we probably pick these up quicker because we visit so much, but like astrodancer said, new guests are going take one look at the monorail and probably pick up on that! Cos that really is a state - They need to sort it out, change the whole station, and also change the entrance plaza, that could help with the whole "resort look" and change a lot of first impressions - Maybe we will see some of these changes over the next couple of years with Project Dolphin (I wont hold my breath!)

Anonymous

Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:27 am

I think if AT are going to become a proper resort, as has been picked up in this topic, the more superficial, aesthetic aspects of the park have to be improved. AT can't start their life as a resort looking like this, it's not right! Looking like a tired, drab theme park desperately trying to fake a resort image.

The entrance plaza needs sorting, Towers St is looking dated and tired, the Monorail could be so much better, the rides should be looking better than ever - the sky should be the limit, AT should be aiming for the top, not cutting corners. They've got a fantastic setting, a great base and it's not being done justice.

Alton Towers is naturally a stunning park - it could be way ahead of Disney simply because of this, but it isn't because the rest of the park let it down.

ryani210693
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:43 am

"Rum" wrote:
the rides should be looking better than ever - the sky should be the limit, AT should be aiming for the top, not cutting corners.

Can i just say, the trees are the limit, not the sky! :P

Well, personally, think it's great that AT are going for a resort image. I don't think any other park in the UK has ever attempted this before. I think It's Great!

The problem is this. People need to give it time to make these changes and make AT more of a resort. That's the reason i brought up this topic: to see if any body has noticed some, nice, beautiful and subtle changes AT are trying to make, to make it into more of a Resort over the years. Time is the enemy!

People just need to take a close watch at the change from AT, to "AT Resort". Give it time, and it will come :).

So post the changes that are happening NOW in AT, and be patient, because i can see that AT are trying their best, and i think it'll pay off in the end!

thanks, Ryan.

Redcoat Jase
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:46 am

"Altonator""][quote=""Redcoat Jase" wrote:
It's only a small thing, but i comment on it all the time;

If you sit in the Outdoor Pool in Cariba Creek, and look at the Building (Mainly the large blue tower sort-of-thing where the Master Blaster leaves the building for the first time!) - It feels so much like a resort it's unreal!

I can't say I've ever felt I was on a resort when i've been in the park though, I normally feel it when i'm in the Splash Landings Hotel, most people agree that when you visit there, it feels like you're on Holiday or something! :D

Is this what you are talking about Redcoat Jase?

http://altonator.myphotoalbum.com/view_ ... l_pics_101

http://altonator.myphotoalbum.com/view_ ... l_pics_108

http://altonator.myphotoalbum.com/view_ ... l_pics_117

http://altonator.myphotoalbum.com/view_ ... l_pics_100

http://altonator.myphotoalbum.com/view_ ... el_pics_86

http://altonator.myphotoalbum.com/view_ ... el_pics_99

My Alton Towers / Theme park pics can be seen here
http://altonator.myphotoalbum.com/albums.php[/quote]

Yea, They're exactly what i'm talking about! - How cool does that building look? It's so Disney-like! :D
Whats really weird is you look at things like that, then you take a walk down the into the park and have to see things like Merry England and UG Land!
As for what Nick said about somebody's comment on the Behind the Scenes Tour about how they 'don't bother because only frequent visitors and Enthusiasts notice', is quite shocking! - Considering that they are the people who support Alton Towers with regular visits and purchases in the park! :x