UK theme parks from another point of view!

caffeine_demon
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Spinball's new weight limit

Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:49 pm

Just seen this on coasterforce:

(4th post down)
http://www.coasterforce.com/cf-info/viewtopic.php?t=10602

anyne know what triggerred this "review" and if any other maurerrides are affected?

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:15 pm

Noticed that yesterday too. Also SRQ for spinball was closed as well, is this anything to do with the weight limit?, as I would imagine that 4 adult males for example would take the weight of the car over 50 stone.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

oldgitBEN

Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:01 pm

hmm rather unusual, any ideas why this has been brought in? I dont think Ive heard of any ride operating on peoples weights before, although I suppose the spinball cars are very light - but then again isnt that what the breaks are for?

Rory
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:08 pm

The breaks are block breaks - ie. only one car can be between 2 sections of block breaks at any one time, so if one car was to stall, then the block breaks would prevent the car behind entering that section and crashing.

Yes, when I was there Sun/Mon - SRQ was down and we were told that it no longer exists :? We then quickly went away from spinball as I detested the 2 hour plus queue, as the queue was out of the gates.

MJT
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:42 pm

Why oh why would a ride have a weight limit? How could too much weight affect the ride? This must be something fairly complicated as that sign says that it's down to a review of health and safety. Does any Alton staff know why there is a weight limit? :?

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:11 pm

"Adam" wrote:
"If you are unsure of your weight please inform a member of staff who will be able to assist you on the ride platform."

Could be a nice little earner for fool the guesser though, at least by stopping off there first, everyone will know how much they way. :P
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

smeg_head
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:37 pm

It's probably more to do with the restraint than the ride. The restraint on Whizzer is quite unusual and you think about the way 'force' works you must be putting quite a bit of weight (up to 3x your bodyweight) on that small restraint at times. Also because the ride spins you've got added force that a normal coaster wouldn't generate. Must be quite a strain.

James564
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:33 pm

I think this is something Maurer-Sohne are enforcing on all their spinners because Dragons Fury has had some downtime lately and has reopened with the same rules being enforced as on Spinball. Must be a design fault. I've noticed that the chain lift on Fury wobbles a lot less though since the addition of the weight restrictions.

stokywolf
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:45 pm

The SRQ closed because only 3 adults or something like that are allowed on each car or summat like that? And to stop confrontation from joe they closed it.

Scales are ready and waiting in the station area for any fatty that be :P
Tavern hall of famer - rockerz my sockerz

Ian
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:49 pm

It does seem strange and ultimately, if they have taken away the SRQ and the ops are arguing with people over their weight the loading/unloading process will take longer.

So if an op suspects someone may be over 17.5 stone would they have to say 'excuse me i think you might be over the weight limit, please get on the scales?!' Hmm...

I am only just short enough to be able to ride SW and because my legs are long the restraint is alot further up my legs than anyone elses. I always thought it was best to put 2 heavy blokes on one side and 2 lighter girls on the other - the cars spin more then!

Gashead
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:02 pm

I cant weight for them to try and tell a women their too fat to ride. :oops:

Anonymous

Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:14 pm

rory the queue on spinball has never been 2 hour plus this season,i should know i operate it.

Rory
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:19 pm

"kinetic" wrote:
rory the queue on spinball has never been 2 hour plus this season,i should know i operate it.

Well, on Sunday afternoon, the queue was way back out of the gate and must have been approaching 2 hours, because I know I queued 1.5 hours last season, when the queue wasnt anywhere near that. However I will take your word for it.

But was it really necessary to bring me up on that point, when we are talking about the weight limits and the SRQ. Im sorry for this to be off topic, but need to get it out, sometimes I feel that AT staff need to find a way to tell us they work there on the rides and somehow they feel good about doing it.

Anonymous

Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:23 pm

Not really my friend but a different team runs spinball this year.Last years spinball team had difficulty in giving out correct queue times.Last year the average thruoghput per hour was around 600 this year its around 750,mind you saying that this daft weight thing has hampered things considerably,but rules are rules and we have to follow them.

plasticboy
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:24 pm

"the manufacturer has revised the health and safety restriction"

Roughly translated "the manufacturer decided they wernt sure if the ride is safe becuase they are s**t and design cheap useless rides"

:lol:

Maurer, what a silly company :P Maybe they should stick to designing simpler things, such as cardboard boxes or hamster cages :roll:

Dave

Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:20 am

ok so thats Hight, Girth AND Weight restrictions now. is it worth the larger members of the public even going? lol

i can understand it being nessisary i supose, spinball is a strange one, the sppinning element does add forces to the ride that most coasters dont have, and the restraints are a little..minimal. infact i was talkin bout this last time i went on spinball. not sure who with though? Tom? Dan? Anyway....

if the manufactuers say it needs a weight restriction so be it. but how embarrrising would it be to be told your to heavy to go on the ride! its bad enought been told your to short/tall/girthy (not sure what the correct terminology is for that one)

Nutty dreadz
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:48 am

What gets me is why has the manufacturer only decided this now? when spinball was built a few years back? do you reckon that an incident has happened on a simular spinning ride somewhere, and that has made them put the weight warning on?

The SRQ queue is also well annoying! Spinball always seems to be very busy, even on the quieter days, and the SRQ is so handy (especially when they let you on in a pair anyway!) - Do we know if it is closed for good! I really hope not, cos it works well. First Oblivion, now Spinball. They'll be closing the Nemesis SRQ next!!

Rory
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:07 pm

As I said, on Sunday, I was told wehn enquiring at the station (via goign up through the exit) why the SRQ wasnt open and told that it didnt exist anymore!

I found SRQ excellent, because it cut the queue down a huge amount and now if it is closed for good I will have to face a very large queue (even on quiet days) for what you have to be honest is a rank ordinary ride.

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:18 pm

Blame Dragons Fury.

I am not permitted to go into many details, but this is all because of problems with Fury and it's restraint system, as you have gathered the ride does place some strange forces on the restraints.

I believe this wasn't factored in during the rides design. As such these restrictions (although, I tend to debate if they really do anything to help the situation) are in place to try and fix that.

Tussauds should learn from this and think twice before purchasing cheap rubbish, but they wont.

Nutty dreadz
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:18 pm

"Rory" wrote:
As I said, on Sunday, I was told wehn enquiring at the station (via goign up through the exit) why the SRQ wasnt open and told that it didnt exist anymore!

I found SRQ excellent, because it cut the queue down a huge amount and now if it is closed for good I will have to face a very large queue (even on quiet days) for what you have to be honest is a rank ordinary ride.

Doesnt exist anymore??!! Pfft, why the hell have they done that! Like people have said, it worked so well! I reckon eventusally we aint gonna have any single rider queues - They probably think that if they do that, then more people will buy priority pass tickets!