UK theme parks from another point of view!

Dave

Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:36 pm

i think you just hit the nail on the head there Neil

spinballs SRQ was great. bout the only one that actualy worked! but as neil said, if everyone has to join the main queue then its gonna tempt people to buy queue jump tickets, which will probobly go up in price soon as well!!!

Rory
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:08 am

To add to that Dave, i think if it is true that the SQR is gone, then perhaps next season, that queue will become a priority line, like it was when Spinball opened. AT could have seen an oppitunity here to offer priority on Spinball because the queues are constantly long.

Nutty dreadz
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:48 am

"Rory" wrote:
To add to that Dave, i think if it is true that the SQR is gone, then perhaps next season, that queue will become a priority line, like it was when Spinball opened. AT could have seen an oppitunity here to offer priority on Spinball because the queues are constantly long.

I didnt know that SW had a priority queue when it first opened? :shock: I've always wondered what the 2nd queue line was originally used for, cos I remember when they first started SRQ for SW, they were just using the exit, i guess they opened a proper queue line for it, cos the exit got too busy.

But yeah I agree with Rory, as much as i dont agree with paying for priority pass tickets, I think they could probably do with putting Spinball on it, as the queues do build up so a lot of people might be stupid enough to pay out more money on their day out! But Id imagine Towers would either take some other ride off the pass and replace it with SW, or they'd just add it on and bump the price up. Or both!!

Kaz
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:08 am

It's a sad, sad day for Rick Waller.

timmy1372
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:56 am

Personally I think Spinball and especially dragons fury are great rides, they offer something for everyone hence why they are so popular.

I went on Dragons fury recently and did wonder why they were only half filling the cars, stupid thing is it was the most extreme ride i have ever had on it, spinning like a mad thing and the forces produced were amazing, i really hope those restraints are ok because we were really using them, much more so than if the car was full and not spinning like mad.

I know it spins normally but quite honestly this was amazing

Tim

Rory
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:02 am

"Nutty dreadz""][quote=""Rory" wrote:

I didnt know that SW had a priority queue when it first opened? :shock: I've always wondered what the 2nd queue line was originally used for, cos I remember when they first started SRQ for SW, they were just using the exit, i guess they opened a proper queue line for it, cos the exit got too busy.

But yeah I agree with Rory, as much as i dont agree with paying for priority pass tickets, I think they could probably do with putting Spinball on it, as the queues do build up so a lot of people might be stupid enough to pay out more money on their day out! But Id imagine Towers would either take some other ride off the pass and replace it with SW, or they'd just add it on and bump the price up. Or both!![/quote]

Yes, that line was originally a hotel guest line, that you could use your priority passes on (which back in 2004 were im right: SW, Corkscrew, Duel & Oblivion). As you said they initially let single riders through a very poorly advertising exit gate. This changed last year with the removal of the priority queue line and the introduction of the SRQ

Thom
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:06 pm

A member of the Spinball ride staff said to me yesterday that there will be no more Spinball SRQ and from next year it will be a priority queue.

With the Nemesis SRQ never being open nowerdays and the Air SRQ to be run in a very strange way, unfortunatly Rita is now the only SRQ worth talking about (it works very well actually. 2/3 people got on per train yesterday!)

Tom... :)

John
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:15 pm

If spinball is going on shortcut hopefully it will replace the flume which is a waste of money except on very hot days when it actually gets a fairly long queue.

However ideally spinball shouldn't be on shortcut at all as the ride doesn't have the capcaity to cope with hundreds of people being able to cut the queue - people without shortcut with be stuck with a massive queue that hardly moves at all.

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:30 pm

I always thought that the removal of the priority queue at the end of 2004 was due to the poor thru-put of the ride?

If this returns, in the form of priority queue line next year, and coupled with the weight restrictions if these are still in force, will surely make the main queue be at almost a standstill. Not good customer service at all, unless of course you pay for it.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

dstone_uk
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Ug Basketball, Ug Land, Alton Towers, Staffs, ST10 4DB :D

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:57 pm

yes, yet today i was told that there was going to be something in the single riders queu palce later this year! I hope that it's not going on priorty as the queue was painfully slow when the hotel passes were on it a fuw years back and it would be back to those days. Also there were meny cars going around with 2 people in, at one point there was six in a row! SUely even without single rider they can put the two's togeter in the same car!

(*)corkscrew rules(*)D

Peet
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:11 pm

At Towers yesterday I noticed that the tall bit just before the first drop wobbled worryingly whenever a car went over it. Most rides that high would have splayed out supports for better stability but on Spinball the supports just go straight down. Maybe this could be related to the weight issue. I don't think it could relate to the restraints anyway.
I've heard a few things from friends of mine who work at Towers and apparently recently one of the supports detatched from the track! I also heard that the track itself was only designed to last for a few years and it will all be replaced at the end of this year. Could this be true? I guess we'll find out in time.

$t£v£
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:22 pm

First off the track is supposed to move some amount to prevent damage to it.
Secondly i have never heard of the track becoming detatched from the supports it would be on here somewhere if that happened.
It has happened with Nemesis though
And what would be the point in designing trak that would only last a couple of years it would be stupidly costly.

Who told you all this? :shock:
$t£v£, formerly Mr Writer.

Dr Pop Rocket
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:36 pm

"Peet" wrote:
At Towers yesterday I noticed that the tall bit just before the first drop wobbled worryingly whenever a car went over it. Most rides that high would have splayed out supports for better stability but on Spinball the supports just go straight down. Maybe this could be related to the weight issue. I don't think it could relate to the restraints anyway.
I've heard a few things from friends of mine who work at Towers and apparently recently one of the supports detatched from the track! I also heard that the track itself was only designed to last for a few years and it will all be replaced at the end of this year. Could this be true? I guess we'll find out in time.

The last part is not true, the supports have never come off from the track nor has the track ever become seperated (also if such a thing did happen no doubt it would of been posted on these forums) also most track will last a hell of alot longer than a few years so it does not need to be replaced as you say.

Also the wobbling is perfectly safe and it basically is just absorbing the force as it were. If the track was not to wobble there would be more stress applied onto the supports and track which could eventually cause some sort of stress damage to the structure. So it wobbles to prevent the structure from being subjected to too much strain. :)

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:00 pm

In 2004, one of the emergency exit platforms which are next to the block breaks came apart from Dragons Fury at Chessington, this was because the bolts were too small, being a fault of the manufacturer. This was also a problem with Spinball, although the platform never came apart, they still had to replace the bolts meaning the ride was closed ofr a number of weeks.
This may well what your friend was referring to, but never has the track come apart from what I am aware of :?

Mugz x

:rock:

mike22
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:37 pm

Hi people,

Do ride operators/assistants ask to weigh you? If you look over weight? If so that is incredible ebarrising for some people.

Cheers

Mike22 :W

karen1
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:51 am

When I was at AT last week we were waiting for Spinball behind a family who were not small. The lady read the weight notice in the line and said to her husband that she could not ride as she was too heavy. Her husband told her to get in anyway and if there was a problem the staff would tell her she couldn't ride. So when she approached the station the staff all stood nudging one another but said nothing even though there is a set of scales on the platform. Anyway the lady got into the car, the restraints fitted and off she went.

barryzola

Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:43 pm

Maybe a good idea would be to have the scales in a position before you actually enter the queueline. You could weigh yourself if you were unsure and this way it would save someone from being told to do an embarrasing exit from the ride station.
Last edited by barryzola on Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:37 pm

When we were there last week we noticed the new weight limit signs. We also noticed that the majority of cars were being sent round with only 2 people in, unless it was a group of kids and then they put 4 or just 3 in.

Didn't take me long to realise what they were doing here, as its far easier to do it this way than weigh everybody on scales. Only problem was the queue took even longer than normal, which isn't good anyway.

I_love_at
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:18 am

I've just checked Alton Towers website and under Spinball whizzer, it mentions the Max weight per car and per person.

Matt 125
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:32 am

"I_love_at" wrote:
I've just checked Alton Towers website and under Spinball whizzer, it mentions the Max weight per car and per person.

At least they are telling people before they go there. This way, if people check the website, they can weigh before their trip and avoid embarassment!

Just realised that there isn't anything about a Weight Restriction on the Dragon's Fury page. Also, Dragons Fury has been unavailable for a good 2 weeks from the Website Banner. Has something happened on there meaning this Weight Restriction has been put in place?

Matt :D