UK theme parks from another point of view!

Hark

Behind Scenes 2006

Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:41 pm

Did anyone go to the Behind the Scenes Tour this year on:

Saturday July 15th
Saturday July 22nd
Saturday August 26th

I know people went last season and posted some photos.. I would've love to have gone but I'm under age... Just wondering if they did anything different this year?

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:51 pm

There is a topic from the first tour HERE, where there are pictures etc.

There are also other topics floating around. This years tours seem to be alot more developed and more to do from what I can remeber seeing from the tours of last year.

Mugz x

:rock:

Hark

Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:59 pm

Yep I've seen last years info but as yet I've not seen anything on this years tour.

Nick

Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:11 pm

That link in Muggins' post is from this years tour

karen1
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:21 pm

I was on the tour on Saturday along with a few other TTF members.
Here is a link to the pictures I took.
http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l49/karenm30/

We were shown around mainly by Wayne Burton who did an excellent job. We were also joined by Tony the head engineer/maintainance manager who was a lovely guy and very knowlegable and passionate about his job. We visited the Hex control room where the ride was explained to us and we saw it working from inside the ride ops room. Then we walked through Hex with the lights on and got to see how the story section of the ride worked.

Then we went over to Rita where Tony joined us (this was where Tony told us the news about the RMT being back up and running before the end of the season.) We looked in the maintainance garage where Tony explained the work that gets done on the ride. Then we went up to the station and into the control room where we learned how the ride is operated. Then we went to the drum house where Tony explained how the ride worked and we saw a car launch from inside there. Then we went back up to the ride, up the exit and had a quick ride on her.

Next over to Oblivion where we went to the maintainance area and garage where Wayne and Tony explained the ride to us, what work they did to maintain the shuttles, what materials they use on various parts of the ride, what they are experimenting with the make the ride quieter and what sort of safety checks they do. Then we went up the exit and had a quick go on the ride.

Then we went off to coaster corner where we tried to place where the old rides used to be (thanks to Uncle Dan and Marky.com's old pictures they had with them, plus us looking at bits of fences nd working out what que line it used to be a part of!) Then we went up the flag tower to have a look at the view from the top.

After that we went back to Hex to have a go now that it was open. We went via the old Nick building to have a quick look in there.

By now it was nearly lunch time. We were given exit passes for Air, Nemesis, Oblivion, Flume, Spinball and Charlie and told to meet back at 5:15.

At 5:15 we met up with Wayne and Tony again. We went to the main maintainance garage where they fix parts of the rides. There was a part from Ripsaw that was being looked at (which was the bit that caused the ride to be out of action for a few days whilst the guys built a new gear box), a rapids tyre, tractor and some of the RMT cars.

The we went off to the board room for a few sandwiches, drinks and nibbles. Here we also got to look at some archive material, pictures of rides being built, concept boards for rides etc. Here we also met a few more members of the management team, Sue and James who joined us for some of the rest of the tour.

Then it was off to the Black Hole tent. Here we had a good look around to see what was left in place and what was generally going on in there. We also chatted to some of the managers as to the future of the tent (still not sure what they are going to do but the tent will stay as if the tent is there they do not have to get planning permission for whatever they put there.)

Then we went over to Air where we walked up the lift hill (waving at the people going past on the monorail who were looking a little jealous!) then back down to see how Air worked. The safety elements of the ride were explained to us and they took the back off one of the seats to show us the sensors that each seat has and to show us how the seats tilt. Then we went into the control room to have a look at the ride system then down into the garage where the night crew had just begun their nightly maintainance on the ride.

Finally we went over to Duel to see how it worked and to walk through with the lights on.

By now it was 9pm and time to go home.

Overall it was an excellent day, we learned lots about the park and about the plans for the future (which have already been reported on the TT home page so I won't go into that.) It was great to talk to the management team, they are clearly passionate about their jobs and want the best for the park, plus they all seem really nice people. Wayne did an excellent job showing us around and explaining everything we wanted to know along with Tony.

They said they were planning to do many more tours in the future. I definitely would book to go on it again.

I hope this has helped, if you want any questions asking just ask.
Last edited by karen1 on Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldgitBEN

Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:29 pm

brilliant report Karen - had a look through the pictures too, some really good ones - i didnt know there was a swan in the old coaster corner. Sounds like you had a good day.

Id love to do one, but Id have to throw in a hotel stay too - id be up early the morning of the tour and then to set off home at 9 would be a killer - perhaps they could so a special behind the scenes + hotel stay - maybe even throw in behind the hotel scenes i.e in the day see the themed suites or things in splash.
[/color]

Anonymous

Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:39 pm

"Benjamin" wrote:
perhaps they could so a special behind the scenes + hotel stay [/color]

Funnily enough, they said that was being considered, so you could be in luck! You should definitely get yourself along Ben - I can't understate how interesting and enjoyable the tour is.

Great report there Karen! I didn't even know there were other fellow TTF'ers on the tour!

:D

oldgitBEN

Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:47 pm

currently im not that interested in the tour but perhaps in the future -particularly if the hotel element either staying or nosying (ooh it could be like through the keyhole) was introduced id be more inclined.

karen1
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:06 pm

"marky.com""][quote=""Benjamin" wrote:
perhaps they could so a special behind the scenes + hotel stay [/color]

Funnily enough, they said that was being considered, so you could be in luck! You should definitely get yourself along Ben - I can't understate how interesting and enjoyable the tour is.

Great report there Karen! I didn't even know there were other fellow TTF'ers on the tour!

:D[/quote]

Yeah, I was the one looking at the old coaster corner pictures with you and Dan when we were there with the yellow Disney tshirt on (who was soaking during the 2nd part of the tour due to riding the log flume at 5pm and getting very wet!!).

We stayed overnight in the hotel the night before the tour, I used wish they would have done a hotel and tour package then! They did open the restaurant early for breakfast for us though so we could eat and get to the tour on time which was nice of them.

Anonymous

Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:19 pm

Did i give you a lift back to the carparks Karen?

karen1
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:36 pm

"Ade" wrote:
Did i give you a lift back to the carparks Karen?

No, sorry, that wasn't me.

Liam
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:37 pm

Ade's always giving lifts to completely random strangers!