UK theme parks from another point of view!

Katie_D
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wifi in Alton Towers Hotel?

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:04 pm

Does anybody know if the Alton Towers hotel provides Wi-fi internet in their Discovery rooms? I know a few bed and breakfasts in the area provide it, but I can't find anything about it on the AT website.

You'd think that they would provide wireless internet for those who stay there. They charge enough money.

Steve in labour
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:09 pm

Last Time I Asked They Said No But That Was 2 Years Ago, Ask Craig Or Joel They Will Know For Deff :D

(I Think They Can Now)

Craig

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:32 pm

I don't think its provided at the moment, at least I don't recall finding any networks when I was there last. When I last took a laptop there I had to connect it up to my phone and use it as a modem, obviously the data charges are ridiculously high unless you have a handy data bundle like moi :D

I'm quite surprised they don't have it to be honest though, maybe not so much from a leisure point of view, but considering they like to push themselves as a business venue too it would be a great asset.

Katie_D
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:49 pm

Do you have any idea how much it costs to connect to the internet through the phoneline provided in the room?

Craig

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:58 pm

I don't have a clue how much it would be through the phoneline in the room, but you can guarantee it would most likely be extortionate. Unfortunately it always seems to be the case with hotels, you'll always pay over the odds for a connection.

BIan
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:24 pm

Sorry to bump an old topic first

Girlfriends booked a weekend away to Alton Towers, Sunday Night, and I was wondering if there has been an update on the Wi-Fi.

Seems such a shame for a top class resort not to offer something that is standard in most hotels these days.

Ian

leejay
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:16 pm

There isn't in their rooms, but in the bar there is. Hope that helps!

Nick

Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:18 pm

Also if the Conference Center is open, there are a few PCs in there, and the staff do seem quite happy to let guests use them

Shent
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:23 pm

Isnt hard to set up a network over the hotel, especially wireless! :roll:
......The one and only... :sus:

BIan
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:38 pm

Is that the Bar at The Alton Towers Hotel, or the Splash Landing hotel?

Thanks for all your help,

Just need to hope the rain holds off now.

Ian

Shent
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:43 pm

"IanBassi" wrote:
Is that the Bar at The Alton Towers Hotel, or the Splash Landing hotel?

Thanks for all your help,

Just need to hope the rain holds off now.

Ian

At a Guess, splash, seem as there chip and pin things are wireless there :)
......The one and only... :sus:

BULBOUS
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:45 am

I'd think the chip and pin things would be WiFi independant and... well, secure. =S
Adjective: Fat, round, or bulging.

Craig

Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:23 am

Ah totally forgot about wifi in Dragon Bar. Basically the Dragon Bar in ATH contains an itBox, which are those games units that have touchscreen games like Saturday Night Takeaway etc on. They also act as a wireless hotspot, so anywhere with one of those would tend to also be a wireless hotspot.

Ash
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:10 am

Ooo didnt know that, thanks for letting us know :D

Chris-TT

Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:21 am

you can always use the internet through the room TV's, its not cheap for what it is though. It depends what you want to do I guess

Gashead
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:25 pm

"Craig" wrote:
Ah totally forgot about wifi in Dragon Bar. Basically the Dragon Bar in ATH contains an itBox, which are those games units that have touchscreen games like Saturday Night Takeaway etc on. They also act as a wireless hotspot, so anywhere with one of those would tend to also be a wireless hotspot.

When I went in June it was'nt there anymore.

Nick

Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:05 pm

I picked up a WiFi network in the bar in Splash this evening

Craig

Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:07 pm

"Nick" wrote:

I swear you've made it your life's mission to search for wifi networks everywhere you go now you've got that phone :P

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:30 pm

"Craig""][quote=""Nick" wrote:

I swear you've made it your life's mission to search for wifi networks everywhere you go now you've got that phone :P[/quote]

Lol thats what I've been doing too! Bought a Nokia N95 and now im looking for wireless networks everywhere I go. You'd be suprised how many and where you will find them.

Even just driving past places in the car!

Craig

Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:35 pm

"PeteB" wrote:
Lol thats what I've been doing too! Bought a Nokia N95 and now im looking for wireless networks everywhere I go. You'd be suprised how many and where you will find them.

Even just driving past places in the car!

I've got one myself, and must admit to attempting to find the odd network to get a bit more speed and save on data charges :P

Back onto the towers wifi. I'm very surprised that they haven't installed a decent wifi network in the hotels, even just around the conference suite area. If they're going to appeal to corporate hospitality more, they really need to consider these sorts of features as it's often something that companies look for when planning events now.