UK theme parks from another point of view!

Piescoffer
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Cool Park Souvenirs?

Thu May 10, 2007 9:53 pm

Just wondering if anyone has or knows of anyone who as any really cool souveniers from the park. The kind of thing I'm talking about is old theming or park furniture etc, that must sometimes get discarded at the end of the season and renewed. I'm guessing it would be most likely people who have worked at the park or as a builder / maintenence in the park. It'd be great to own a small piece of park history...maybe I'm just talkin rubbish :? Nice thought though 8)

Chris1
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 11, 2007 12:33 am

I've got loads of stuff, old park guides from the nineties, mugs, maps, even an ice cream flag.....

My mum even had the cheek to nick some plants a few years ago, and put em in the back garden!

I don't know anybody who has theming, but I'd love to know where the swans ended up after they were flogged.

:)

Piescoffer
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri May 11, 2007 9:33 am

Yeah I know what you mean, likewise my memories are the most valuable thing to me, I've tried to get at least one visit to the park a year, for the last 16 years, and so have been fortunate enough to have ridden some of the golden oldie rides, like Gravitron, magic carpet, beast, mouse, black hole, swan boats :D thunder looper, bone shaker and been to some long closed attractions like the 3D Cinema, the Cine2000, and the fantastic fountains! I wish I'd had kept all my tickets and maps though :cry: Still... I have a few photos, and recently purchased off ebay a park souvenier guide from the 1930's which is great. I wonder why AT decided to scrap their slogans "where wonders never cease" and then "where the magic never ends" ? Anyway I've digressed off the thread now, I'd love to see some artifact pics if anyone knows where I could find them. Simon.

Ash
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 11, 2007 9:39 am

Well having got in touch with the guy from staffs who is heading up the project, he was very helpfull, it is all still going ahead and will be ready by the end of this year if not sooner! :D

*edit* it will go online from the main site in the next few months with images, texts and movies :D

Kaycee

Fri May 11, 2007 10:30 am

but I'd love to know where the swans ended up after they were flogged.

They went to various places in Staffordshire. I remember reading a news article about one or two Swans going to a children's playground in Leek (I think it was Leek) and some vandals basically completely ruined them and actually decapitated one. :x:x

I've not got anything really snazzy unfortunately, just a collection of ORPs including my first ride on Nemesis back in 2000. I've moved around a fair bit in the last couple of years and unfortunately I've had to travel light, so any old souvenirs would be back at my Mom's house. I remember a large notepad of some sort with the blue and orange front.

Oh how I miss that blue/purple and orange. :(

Big Dave

Fri May 11, 2007 10:34 am

Got some old spoons, yes spoons from way back in time and they are in really good nick too. Got some old park maps, got loads of alton towers teddies, managed to nick 1 of the old jelly 5 posters from near the monorail :P, got a glass snow dome thingy as well

Martyn
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 11, 2007 10:58 am

I've got a deck of Nemesis playing cards, which I bought on my first visit, which was a bit foolish looking back, seeing as I didn't actually ride Nemesis! I've also got a Thunderlooper badge (I DID ride that) which was bought on the same day.
The cards are getting a bit worn, but they're still cool, and they've got the old logo on them, with the "scrawled" Nemesis.

Aside from Alton Towers, I've got a Silver Star pin-badge, which is awesome, it's the front two rows of a B&M speedcoaster car! Actually, I've got a picture!

http://the365project.co.uk/Sep06/images/25.jpg

I remember at Heide Park seeing on of the coolest bits of merchandise ever, but I didn't buy it as I have no use for it, it was a little model rapids boat, which was an ashtray. The cigarette would rest on the steps where you get into the boat! My friend didn't buy one either and he's smoker, he regrets it quite a lot now! :lol:

Ash
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 11, 2007 2:15 pm

Well ive got lots of odd bits n pieces, fastrack tcikets, old exit passes, lots of weird and wonderful stuff from all over the place :D But nothing thats to wow! Pictures and memories are great souvenirs to any trip and my favourite picture was probably from the last one :D

Nick

Fri May 11, 2007 2:39 pm

I got some park posters that have been dotted around the park in the past, kindly donated by good ol' Mr. P :D Having a few problems getting them to stay on my walls though as they are too heavy :lol:

:D

Ash
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 11, 2007 4:01 pm

Bitch! I want some! Dont understand why they dont ebay them, ya know with Alton Towers now helping the environment :D They would make themselves money aswell, why not get loss prevention make some money doing it, selling of old stuff, could be a good money spinner.

Lauzi
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 11, 2007 4:29 pm

Last edited by Lauzi on Tue May 17, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kelly
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 11, 2007 4:35 pm

Iv seen two of the swan boats on my journeys to towers, one is in the Anchor Pub garden in Oakamor, and is somewhere i cant quite remember, but Redcoat Jase should know as he pointed it out to me :)

Lauzi
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 11, 2007 4:37 pm

Ahh brilliant, must pay a visit to that pub! :D

Ash
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 11, 2007 4:37 pm

Anchor Pub in Oakamoor

Theres on in Wetley Rocks

Theres one in someones garden...somewhere

And theres one in cheadle, thats the one that got decapitated and the head was found by my old head teacher :evil:

Mattia
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 11, 2007 4:48 pm

I really want that bursting with magic poster nick!

Anyways, i don't have much got on-ride photos, air mugs and old park tickets and maps. Old souvernier bags, Catcf Poster from a newspaper and press cuttings about AT, Air magnet, flume pen, alton notebook and some other random stuff! :)

Everything can be classed as theatre...even you are classed as theatre.

Locker
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 11, 2007 5:44 pm

And theres one in cheadle, thats the one that got decapitated and the head was found by my old head teacher

I feel side every time I drive past, it really is in a poor state :(

Regards,
Mark

Parkey
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 11, 2007 6:25 pm

One of the swans is in Burton Upon Trent - it was in good nick last time I saw it...

I've got all sorts of stuff from over the years - from wooly hats and badges, through to maps and the like. Nowt rare, but all nice.
Brap

Piescoffer
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri May 11, 2007 8:18 pm

If anyone finds one of the swans, it would be great to see a picture of it on here, maybe be a good idea to speak to the pub owner and try to persuade him / her to auction it on ebay, probably get a good few quid for it as well, I can just picture it in my garden :D

Chris1
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 11, 2007 10:58 pm

My collection......

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/5593/30167454rb0.jpg
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/1393/48270843bi9.jpg
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/1002/11ae2.jpg
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/2618/19999083tq3.jpg

I did put these up for sale ages ago as I needed a new clutch for my car, but managed to get somebody to fix it on the cheap in the end.....

:)

Ash
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 11, 2007 11:46 pm

Im sure you arent allowed to sell the flag!?