UK theme parks from another point of view!

Liam
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Possible new Alton Towers Logo

Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:21 pm

Let's start splitting today's news into relevant topics...

[quote=""TowersTimes"]A review of continuity of style regarding the Alton Towers logo is currently being undertaken, with various designs for a brand new logo being considered.

What do you think of this?

Personally I love the present logo, especially recently as they have started to use it properly with the transparant bubble being used instead of just the dark blue one. I think it works great in marketing if used correctly and would be a mistake to change it.

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:36 pm

Not overly keen on this change. All depending on what changes are made, it'll either be a good or bad idea.
AT has had the same logo idea for years, with the most recent logo being put in place but afew years ago, of which I think is the best and most modern one to date.

Its obvious we are going to see a "R****t" type logo, but how could they do this?

Don't mess this one up AT!

Mugz x

:rock:

Williscroft

Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:46 pm

I don’t think the logo should be touched really, people have seen that logo for years now even thought its changed slightly over the years and gotten used to it, I don’t see anything wrong with the current one either unless their starting to think it looks to magical and they need to get rid of the starts lol.

Id be surprised if it turns out better than the current one but I suppose we will have to wait and see.

Dave

Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:58 pm

i think a change of logo wud be a bad idea.

alton towers is such a distinct brand, the logo is almost unaversaly recogniced as alton towers, to change it to radicaly wud be a hugely bad idea if you ask me.

small changes ar ok. like they have done before. but a total change wud loose over a decade s worth of reputation

Liam
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:04 pm

"Muggins" wrote:
Its obvious we are going to see a "R****t" type logo
Yeah, I thought that too.
A small change may be ok, like this...

However, much more than that would be a big mistake in my view.
They should be reviewing the map rather than the logo!

Kelly
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:11 pm

Not too keen on this, changing this logo just gives me this feeling its going to be all resort orientated, which i really don't want it too be. I like the current logo, it really is magical, with the stars and having it centrered around the Towers. I think to big of a change will not be welcomed by enthuiasts and the public alike, because everyone has got used to this logo.

But i guess we'l have to wait and see! They may surprise us all! :)

Craig

Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:32 pm

Changing AT's logo is like BPB when they got rid of Mr Funshine :cry: The current logo, and its similar predecessors are instantly recognisable as Alton Towers. As mentioned, the park map would be a good start to improving the whole identity of the place.

However, what I can see at the moment, is a more "sophisticated" logo being produced, to echo the fact that they want to market the hotels as being quite up-market. Maybe toning down the colours used in the logo might be something they could be looking at.

It's definitely not something I would like to happen. There's better places where money could be spent than developing a new logo at present.

CGM
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:39 pm

Alton are at it again!
Why change a brilliant logo that is widely recognised and that suits the park brilliantly?

Because of this new resort image, the previously amazing maps have been changed, the magical music has been seriously messed up and now it looks like the same could be happening to the logo.

I know it all sounds pretty pathetic if you read this post through but these were the some of the little things things that helped make AT the UK's number 1 theme park.

Alton had better not mess this one up

Anonymous

Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:30 pm

I think it might be wrong to assume that the logo will be changed completely. The incremental changes over the years have usually been enhancements or minor updates to a very similar design. It's unlikely Alton would want to remove the central iconic towers theme. It could even end up being an improvement. . .

mad about cheese
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:32 pm

I couldn't agree more it IS the little things that truly make AT special even the change liam made cheesey, the graphics are good but the towers will not be the same without the classic "where the magic never ends". Just look at it ....

designed by "Liam"

like the changes in the past they have made to the logo, they will probably change something like the flags on the towers or add some AT rides in the background.

No effence to liam.

Dave

Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:34 pm

i dunno why but the stars and suff around the edge look very dated to me. maybe they could be done away with?

modernise that part of the logo a bit.

i still really think a major change would be a huge mistake

Liam
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:35 pm

"mad about cheese" wrote:
I couldn't agree more it IS the little things that truly make AT special even the change liam made cheesey, the graphics are good but the towers will not be the same without the classic "where the magic never ends". Just look at it ....

designed by "Liam"

like the changes in the past they have made to the logo, they will probably change something like the flags on the towers or add some AT rides in the background.

No effence to liam.

Erm, "Where the magic never ends" was taken off the logo a good few years ago now. :P That's the actual current logo and all i did was add the word 'Resort' ;)

You could be forgiven though, as there are still loads of the old logo around the park.

mad about cheese
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:41 pm

Same as well though i was verry angry when they did take the "when the magic never ends" out, but they do have to much of the old motto around the park.

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:18 am

If the park are going to rebrand and change thier official logo, then all I ask is that they do it properly. It really bugs me that, Alton have had a few variations of logo over the last few years, and this is clearly visible across the park where this is such a mish mash of AT logos!

If they're going to change it, not only do they need to update all new stuff, like media, stationary etc. But they need to ensure the brand is consistent throughout the product. To avoid confusion, etc.

For example, the company I work for Powergen, recently added the strap line "A company of E.on" to thier logo. This was planned with milatary precision. Over night the branding changed, every item, bill, leaflet, poster and mousemat was updated and every trace of the old logo removed. Customer's instantly see the change, and there was no trace of the old look.

The moral of the story, if your going to change your branding, do it properly. Not half a job

Liam
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:00 am

I still really hope they dont change any of it, at all, and as part of the review instead put in place a plan to get ride of all the old ones still around and put the current one of banners on lamposts etc around the park and use a bubble for every bit of marketing etc. Could be really effective.

Nutty dreadz
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:07 am

"Craig" wrote:
Changing AT's logo is like BPB when they got rid of Mr Funshine :cry: The current logo, and its similar predecessors are instantly recognisable as Alton Towers. As mentioned, the park map would be a good start to improving the whole identity of the place.

Couldn't agree more - The new logo for BPB is absoulute shambles! They were left with a tacky looking exclamation mark! A logo that was around for many years, well known, and replaced with a logo that looked like it had been done by a 5 year old!

I really don't hope they change the logo majorly - It looks pretty good as it is, like people have said, I reckon it will be something little, like adding the resort in there somewhere. We've had pretty much the same logo for many years now, it's just changed slightly now and again, so maybe it will be a small change like it has done previously.

Dave

Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:34 am

just a quick demo of the evolution of the logo. i think any major departure from the logo will cause a bit stir

Dyls
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:48 am

I think they should leave it alone. its a great Logo.
If it aint broke, dont fix it

smeg_head
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:40 pm

I actually think the current logo is naff and dated. It has far to many colours it in and needs to be more stylised. There's too much going on in the logo.

Look at the worlds best corporate brands. They are usually one item in a maximum of two colours.

Apple
McDonalds
Nike
BBC
Pepsi etc

Pleasure Beach have realised this and come up with an instantly recognisable clear and clean logo. It's cheap to reproduce in any artistic medium because it's so simplistic. (i.e. on embrodiary and wall desgigns - even as a flowerbed or something to that effect)

The reproduction is a serious consideration imagine trying to reproduce the current AT logo on anything but paper?! Perhaps as a gobo or stencil! (A company such as AT will always be needing to do this)

Then there's the internet. Computers and circles dont go togther. It's safe to say straight clean lines look better on websites than circular logos.

I think AT is wise to reconsider a strong and iconic rebradning.

AT lost it's magic years ago and it's time for a logo to reflect where the park is going. (Perhaps a shilloueted scrap heap? ;)) Perhaps it's time to remove your rose-tinted specs!

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:15 pm

I'm with Smeg. The current logo does looks a bit dated. The magic will never be coming back, as much as i think the biggest mistake AT ever made was getting rid of the magic, it still wont be coming back.

We need to move on, with Alton Towers...
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."