UK theme parks from another point of view!

Javs
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:26 pm

"Nick""][quote=""Javs" wrote:
The metal would only crack if there were already cracks in it

LOL, if thats the case, then no metal would ever crack! :P[/quote]

Sorry, did not explain that very clearly! All metal will have micro fissures and small cracks, but they will only be made worse by specific wear and tear. Only if the cracks are sufficiently large enough will ice get into them and expand to make the cracks worse. Generally metal is very durable and resistant to ice. I managed to sit through a couple of semesters of Material Science at Uni and managed to retain a small amount of knowledge!! In short it will not be an issue.

alton towers fan
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:30 pm

I was just thinking how will Alton Towers promote this new area accross the resort. I dont know if it has being mentioned but i think while the scarefest is on and is busy they should put a big x on the floor in Merrie England saying pirates of penzance sailing to Alton Towers in 2008. This would get crowds of people looking and wanting to come and see this new area in 2008.

As for the Splash Battle i think that would be great. I have being on Flamingo Lands and i must say i think it is fantastic. I am looking forward to this very much. Also i think it will be heavilly themed cause look at the great scenery we have had recently like Charlie,extraordinary golf,haunted hollow and the driving school. All of these are great heavilly themed rides except charlies not as good as toyland tours but i wont go into that in this topic. So to sum that up if the great scenery carries on like recently we could see a great new family area. Anyway , Alton Towers must get this right as they have good competition next year with Drayton Mannors Thomas Land.

Come on Alton you can do this :D
New ice show arriving 2008 in the big top
i think

AstroDan

Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:34 pm

Some kind of tease in Merrie England for Scarefest would be pretty cool to get heads itching, I agree. Good idea!

:)

Sir John Talbot
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:48 pm

They do normally advertise their next seasons new attractions at the end of the season events!

Hmm?! Would be fantastic if they did!

AstroDan

Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:50 pm

I think the problem could be... they don't have planning permission yet - at least not for a Splash Battle!

:?

Sir John Talbot
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:51 pm

Aah.

Very good point.

Hmm :?

alton towers fan
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:56 pm

When do you think we will find out the verdict on the planning ?. Surley it must be soon as how long does one of these Splash Battles take to build. I heard that Flamingo Lands only took 3 weeks to build. Also have we heard anything about the second new ride for next season. I think that we will see a rocking tug ride as well do you need planning consent for one of those then ?

i think

AstroDan

Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:58 pm

Within 1 month I should think.

:D

alton towers fan
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:00 pm

It will be a winter construction then :( I was hoping to see some action before the end of season but oh well

i think

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:25 am

Well i was told, construction crews will be hitting ALL areas of the park the day after the park shuts. So i guess they have a lot to do.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

Ash
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:50 am

"Adäm" wrote:
Well i was told, construction crews will be hitting ALL areas of the park the day after the park shuts. So i guess they have a lot to do.

Told by whom?

And all areas doing what? Refurbishing...

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:52 am

I have no idea what will be done, i presume a general tidy up everywhere. Re-paints and stuff.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

madmanwill
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:35 pm

Would i be right in saying that some areas of Merrie England, dont require Planning Permission (a la Rita)?

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:13 pm

Rita ain't in Merrie England? :?

Though, I think the majority of ME is covered by the planning guidelines so some form of application would most likely be required. However, I doubt any changes to facade, signage would require permission, perhaps notification...unless it was substantially different in size/layout to the current stuff there.

Jon
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:28 pm

In regards to what has been said about maintainance being carried out the day after the park closes, that really is something to think positively about. I'm thinking this is to do with the park not wanting to start next year in a similar way to this one, with half completed jobs littering the park, and opening dates being pushed futhur and futhur back for new buildings and attractions, all of this while the park is still open to guests.

All to do with the park "reinventing itself" perhaps?
We shall soon (ish) see anyway.

I'm quite curious about this project now. Whether it is intended or not, the whole development has been quite secretive. We don't know what style of the piratey theme they will aim for, or exactly what these new attractions are. If they are going to advertise 2008 during the Scarefest (presumeably during the laserrrrs) it will bascilly be a firts official indication of what will happen. We might even find out a new name for thr area, we just don't know!
Formerly "Dagoo"

Moley

Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:08 pm

Maybe they'll theme AIR?!

Na, that's too much.

Wildchild
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:22 pm

Imagine cant see it happening lol. Toy town we got thorpes bubble works and a bath themed splash battle.
That whats the great thing about this no one has a clue
Blackhole tent and retheme 2008 I hope

BEWARE Staffordshire uni rugby union lads doing it large at Alton towers on the 14th

semple90
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:34 am

well we do really have some clue, i mean judging from the title itself its pretty obvious this could be themed around pirates
\"bang and the dirt is gone\"

Javs
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:58 am

Not neccessarily! Alton are incredibly inventive when it comes to unique themes and ride names. It would not surprise me in the least if the theme turns out to be a British Seaside resort, or a quirky Water World Splash Land theme. Does not sound quite as mainstream as Pirates, but you know AT!

Jon
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:18 am

I didn't mean that I was wondering what the theme actually was, its fairly obvious that its pirates. I was thinking more what style of pirates. Like, a dark, interesting themed land, a cheesy and "ahoy" themed land or...what?

I was thinking that if they advertised during the event, it might give us an early indication.
Formerly "Dagoo"