UK theme parks from another point of view!

Jon
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:06 pm

I don't understand why there's a new Battle Galleon's image.They both look good, anyway; no complaints. :)

I really like the resort one. I can see what people mean with it being too cluttered, not and being "quite" there. Like it good be darker, more purpley, but I really like it. It's an interesting, idealistic piece. It would make a really nice poster in a monorail station. Just a nice arty feature. I think the magical towers spread with the spiral would promote the park more easily, despite this one advertising the various things Alton Towers have to offer.

I like it, anyway. I love the angle they are going at this year.
Last edited by Jon on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly "Dagoo"

Thomas
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:30 pm

The resort one looks very pleasing the first time you see it and so on for a couple seconds, but after looking for a while it does start to come across as slightly cluttered. Although i still do like it, definitely does show a fun side. :D

The new Battle Galleons one is much more pleasing than the previous one.

Adam
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:03 pm

"Dagoo" wrote:
I don't understand why there's a new Battle Galleon's image.They both look good, anyway; no complaints. :)

Remember, the first version was not supposed to released. Someone ball'sed up in the press department. Kinda like this ball'sup with the Picsolve video today.

Adam x
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

altontowerskid
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:22 pm

I think the main promo one is brill but theres one thing that is bugging me, i dont know if its just me but the track that can be seen on the left under the flying bed and then again in the distance on the right :? Where is that from? If its suppose to be Intamin track and be Rita's then why is it not in her layout like the other tracka are, i couldn't understand this.

Craig

Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:11 pm

I was waiting for someone to mention the track :P. It doesn't bother me whatsoever, most themeparks stick some random track in there instead of an actual photo from the actual coaster. The majority of people looking at it (i.e. Joe Public rather than enthusiasts) aren't going to notice anyway :D. Besides, if the actual track was used I don't think it would be noticed as easily being right back in the background.

It's a shame there's no Nemesis on there either! It would've been nice to give a bit more prominence to the golf too. It doesn't really jump out at me, and considering this is one of the attractions to support the transformation from theme park to resort, I'm surprised it's not further to the front.

Still, I'm only nit picking :P

Johno
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:30 pm

The Battle galleon's water is not green on the actual downloadable one.

It changes colour when uploaded.

mooneyman
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:30 pm

One problem with this rebranding...According to the Henry Hound myspace he's being replaced with a bear....

Liam
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:38 pm

That happened during the 2007 season.

Chris1
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:41 pm

I'm liking all of these images that have come out of the press department in the past few months but there are still a few things that bug me.....

The people in all the images for example, are way too generic. I don't see why they don't get people in especially for these types of press images like they used to instead of randomly cutting and pasting everywhere :roll:. The cleaned up Mutiny Bay image is a vast improvement on the last but the people on the main galleon on the left look a bit out of place.....

The main park image is quite good, the interaction with the Towers and CATCF is very nice and it's very well laid out. I'm not that keen on the beds or the random table lamp and suitcase though, I think a nice shot of Air would have made better use of that space... :)

It's still a bit of a shame we still see no stars or bubbles as they always worked well for advertising both family, and thrill seeker attractions....

I would've of liked it turning out a bit more like this.....

http://i12.tinypic.com/7275gnn.jpg
Last edited by Chris1 on Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AstroDan

Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:44 pm

Hmm. I am neither here nor there regarding both the images. The Resort one is nice, but cluttered. The Battle Galleons looks a bit false. However they are still better than anything we've had in a while and overall, if you look at all the promos together, they're great.

towersnerd
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:50 pm

Where do you get the promotional images from ?

Chris1
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:52 pm

"towersnerd" wrote:
Where do you get the promotional images from ?

http://press.altontowers.com/images.asp?imagecatid=9

Mattia
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:57 pm

Just got round to looking at these two and i really prefer the new BG one since they are finally using a new family as the other one was just so repetitive.

I don't like the new general promo though :( it is far too cluttered and i agree with liam's and kaycee's points.

The towers look to "fake" and air-brushed! lol (if you can air-brush a building? :P) and i hate the master blaster coming out of the window from the towers :x what is that about?

I think there is too much to take in and you look from one thing to other and the image doesn't have any real flow to it. The CRR boat seems to be missing its logo on the sides of the boat and there is no stars. I'd prefer the magic and style of the towers to be like the co-operate magic background, then it would be more of what alton towers is, darker, yet more magical magic. Seems to me they are trying to make the towers too Disney-ish with the whole bright theme and they are trying so hard to portray the new image of the resort that it has come out slightly wrong :(.

Magic doesn't have to be bright, wacky, fun and weird to be magical. It just has to have a bit of thought, stars and richer colours and a more realistic yet at the same time magical look about it. :)

Everything can be classed as theatre...even you are classed as theatre.

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:53 pm

These two new images are a bit meh really.

I got more excited about the one in my Signature.

Liam
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:03 pm

"Wes" wrote:

I agree to be honest.

I think the use of the of twilight works really well, and the sparkle and purply colours create an atmosphere even within that image.
The one released today looks like a massive Fun House, whereas the one above stands out as a destination, an exotic experience, drawing you in.

Matt 125
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:21 pm

Meh, it's alright. I don't like the whole random objects in the air, like just placing that ATH suitcase randomley in the sky... looks weird.

Oh and why is the old Battle Galleons picture in the main resort image and not the "new" one?

:D

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:42 pm

The resort one is not bad but isn't great either. When I first saw it I thought it looked really good, but then realised that it was cluttered. I think there are too many things in the sky, are all those beds really needed?

Another thing I noticed was that most of the rides in the image have been used in other promotional images. Could this mean that we won't be seeing any for Nemmie, Air or Rita?? I really want to see a Nemmie one, so much could be done with it.

Dr Pop Rocket
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:23 am

I like the style and imagery of this new piece of resort promotional artwork but it's just far too busy, the focal point that should be the towers has just been completely diminished by the amount of other things that are meant to be taken in.

It's obvious they are trying to show you the amount Alton Towers has to offer, but by trying to cram so much into one piece of artwork it's just really distracting and confusing. The image Liam posted is simple, it gives the park a fantastic presence and look, people can pick up on the focal point and although it does not give away the vast amount Alton Towers has to offer it's appealing and that appeal should be enough to want to make people look into what Alton has to offer.

In-fact, there is nothing wrong with having a few rides and attractions featured to show what is on offer at the park and resort, but the phrase too little is better than too much should apply, if they could tone that artwork down too make it less hectic then it'd be much better.

Apart from that, all of the other artwork is very impressive...:D

Sir John Talbot
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:50 am

"Liam""][quote=""Wes" wrote:

I agree to be honest.

I think the use of the of twilight works really well, and the sparkle and purply colours create an atmosphere even within that image.
The one released today looks like a massive Fun House, whereas the one above stands out as a destination, an exotic experience, drawing you in.[/quote]

It may be a better quality image, but the purpose of the Resort promotional image we've seen is to do that , promote. Thus, it incorporates various different activities in the image as to promote and represent all that is readily available at Alton Towers. And I believe the busyness of it is very intentional, since it purveys an almost overwhelming quantity of alternating attraction types, exaggerating the essence of 'Resort' to the audience.

Whereas this image, as pretty as it may do, doesn't really promote anything other than an apparent atmosphere. It's nicer, but it isn't nearly as effective.

Liam
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:18 am

"Sir John Talbot" wrote:
It may be a better quality image, but the purpose of the Resort promotional image we've seen is to do that , promote. Thus, it incorporates various different activities in the image as to promote and represent all that is readily available at Alton Towers. And I believe the busyness of it is very intentional, since it purveys an almost overwhelming quantity of alternating attraction types, exaggerating the essence of 'Resort' to the audience.

Whereas this image, as pretty as it may do, doesn't really promote anything other than an apparent atmosphere. It's nicer, but it isn't nearly as effective.

No-one was suggesting using that image as it stands for promotions.
The suggestion was to take that style and to extend it into the type of posters they've just releeased.