UK theme parks from another point of view!

Tom King Of Speed
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Do AT staff get first aid training?

Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:11 pm

Hey!

Im just wondering, do the ride operators at AT get training in first aid?

Im asking because I once had a seizure on Nemesis and i don't remember anything, apart from being surrounded by what seemed like the whole of the site staff LOL! They must know something, becuase someone had given me my injections and put me in the recovery position ;D

Also, where abouts would they have got me off the ride after they noticed me? They told me that they tried to stop ASAP, and laid me on the ground near the loop (thought this was a lake LOL!). I didn't think nemesis had any train breaks ;S.

Kaycee

Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:17 pm

I couldn't say about the first aid training, but once the Nemesis train has left the lift, there's no stopping it until it hits the brake run... as in, there's no magic 'e-stop' button that stops it in its tracks. It's all at the mercy of gravity and 'free-falling'. So they wouldn't have been able to get you off the ride until you'd hit the brake run at the end. :)

Tom King Of Speed
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:25 pm

Thats exactly what i said. Nemesis = Gravity Ride

iriderides101
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:26 pm

"Kaycee" wrote:
I couldn't say about the first aid training, but once the Nemesis train has left the lift, there's no stopping it until it hits the brake run... as in, there's no magic 'e-stop' button that stops it in its tracks. It's all at the mercy of gravity and 'free-falling'. So they wouldn't have been able to get you off the ride until you'd hit the brake run at the end. :)

All and well but what happens if something happens to someone in the que or around the station? My guess is that one or 2 ops are probably trained for first aid.

Kaycee

Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:33 pm

Well yeah I don't doubt that. But like I said, I don't know about the deal with first aid training the staff, so I can't really say. :)I was just referring to what Tom said about getting him off the ride.

And.
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:35 pm

First Aid Training is offered from time to time to staff who wish to take the course.

Medical assistance is primarily provided by the on site medical team though.

Queen of Speed
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:36 pm

As far as I'm aware first aid training is not part of Ride Host/Operator training. In a situation like that ride ops are instructed to call for immediate assistance from FAW qualified staff.

Tom King Of Speed
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:38 pm

Ah, i just remember a massive group of staff around me near the underside of the station. You shouldv'e seen my on ride picture ;)

Green.Wing
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:39 pm

Like above ride ops and hosts are not medical trainied. however you can if you want when courses arise. Medical teams are always on standby during breakdowns etc. As you might see with hosts, they cannot help disabled guests onto rides due to insurrance reasons. Thats what the carers are for.