UK theme parks from another point of view!

Spike
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

Music On CD?

Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:51 pm

Would Alton ever put their park music on CD and sell it do you think? Like the other big name parks do, Europa, Disney etc.

Would the royalties be to high and make it non-profitable?

I would love a 2 CD set featuring music on one and maybe some archived footage of days gone by and maybe video media from the park. I know we can get most of it but it would be nice to have an official CD with high quality audio & video from around the park.
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*

LiamSAFC

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:03 pm

It'd be a nice idea and would make a tidy some of profit, but maybe due to Copyright problems (in case the music copyright ever did run out again like in August - October) they probably won't do it. Plus its Alton Towers...

They don't tend to like releasing stuff into the Public Domain at times.

NF2
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:08 pm

You never know, but I would doubt it as unlike Disney, i'm not sure if Alton's customers would be likely to want to buy the music on park. I love it as do most of us on here, but the GP kinda just hear it round the park, acknowledge it, and them probably about 5 minutes later forget what it ever sounded like (obviously excluding ITHOTMK).

I just couldn't see it being profitable for the park, but there again i'm no business guru :lol: If you're looking for a Towers Cd i'd just buy a blank disk and burn them on yourself. It's probably much cheaper than buying a proper CD, and then you can pick and choose what tracks you put on :D

Spike
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:13 pm

"NF2" wrote:
You never know, but I would doubt it as unlike Disney, i'm not sure if Alton's customers would be likely to want to buy the music on park. I love it as do most of us on here, but the GP kinda just hear it round the park, acknowledge it, and them probably about 5 minutes later forget what it ever sounded like (obviously excluding ITHOTMK).

Hence why I said combine it with a second disc DVD of the story etc. The Alton Towers dvd sells, & must sell well for them to release a second dvd this month.

"NF2" wrote:
I just couldn't see it being profitable for the park, but there again i'm no business guru :lol: If you're looking for a Towers Cd i'd just buy a blank disk and burn them on yourself. It's probably much cheaper than buying a proper CD, and then you can pick and choose what tracks you put on :D

Well anyone can do this yes, but no-one has a decenct copy of CATC, in fact not much of the Alton media that's about is high quality.
*Honest Cint!*

Luke

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:17 pm

They were looking into it back in 2004. It was going to be more of a Tussauds wide thing though, with music from the three parks. I think the Alton tunes that were listed were Duel, Gloomy Wood and The Flume, all of which are now available at high quality to download anyway.

The audio team behind this idea has now gone though so I doubt very much we'll see a park CD in the near future.

Ash
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:33 pm

There was a CD with some Alton songs on it, infact there have been two!

a Themedmusic.com one that had music from a few Tussauds Attractions on including Alton Towers and one with the Toyland Tours and Haunted House music on.

Both are very card to come by! I have the Toyland Tours one but not the Themedmusic.com CD :-(

Sanbrooke Productions
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:02 pm

I don't see a cd being released anytime soon. Like others have said ,due to the copyright laws. I would love this to happen though but don't see it happening. :)
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTz9wTb8Q9o\" target=\"_blank]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTz9wTb8Q9o[/url]

Mattia
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:56 pm

I've got the themed music CD, its good but nothing that you can already get on the internet in terms of AT media....colosuss theme is very mucked up on it though with random fade outs and fade ins and stuff :sus:

Gardaland have begun to sell CD's, lets hope merlin see the whole vibe for CD's and release it here :lol:

Everything can be classed as theatre...even you are classed as theatre.

Spike
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:31 pm

"AT Fan" wrote:
I don't see a cd being released anytime soon. Like others have said ,due to the copyright laws. I would love this to happen though but don't see it happening. :)

It has nothing to do with the copyright laws really, they only come into play if Alton decided to put it on sale without paying royalties to the owners of the tracks. The owners can refuse to allow Alton to sell their songs but why would they, it would make them money. The only thing standing in the way of this is how much the royalties would be not the copyrighting of the music.
*Honest Cint!*

AstroDan

Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:34 pm

To be honest, Europa don't really sell that many CD's. They sell them as a fairly "niche" product at a fairly pricey €16 a time (£12). But it's nice to have them available, I have a couple myself. Even if they only sell a small number, it's all profit pretty much.

amylovesaltontowers
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:51 pm

I can't see it working for alton though, as they change their music every season pretty much.
\'It is better for people to think you are stupid, than to speak out and remove all doubt in their mind.\'

Big Dave

Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:58 pm

Most of the music that towers use is not owned by Alton Towers. Therefore getting together a group of people to allow Alton Towers to use it on a CD would be hard. Also themedmusic.com did make a CD but most of it was the stuff they did for the tussauds group and most of it was around the time air and colossus was built.

smeg_head
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:26 am

"Big Dave" wrote:
Most of the music that towers use is not owned by Alton Towers. Therefore getting together a group of people to allow Alton Towers to use it on a CD would be hard. Also themedmusic.com did make a CD but most of it was the stuff they did for the tussauds group and most of it was around the time air and colossus was built.

I'm not sure how all these posts about problems with copyright have come about. How do you think the 'Now' albums work? After all they have to 'get a group of people together to allow Now to use their music' etc.

All Alton have to do is ensure the artists involved get a fair share of the profits i.e. performance fees.

The real barrier to production of this CD would be demand i.e. would the cost of production - contacting & contracting the artists to allow commercial use of their music, CD artwork & mastering etc - be worth the relatively low/niche sales this product is likely to generate. I fear the answer is no. :(

Kaycee

Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:29 am

I've no doubt this has probably been looked into a few times over the years and if they haven't done it by now, I can't see any reason why they'd start to. :(

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:15 am

"smeg_head" wrote:
I'm not sure how all these posts about problems with copyright have come about.

Enthusiasts :P

There is quite a feirce demand for music online - I think it could be a worthy item of merchandise in the future. I would happily pay £10 + for a CD with some of the themes from around the park!

Big Dave

Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:40 am

All songs on "Now" are released to the general public for public use etc. Alot of the music used in themeparks where intended for use by these themeparks for private use. They were never intended for use by the general public. Alton Towers will have limited licences to play them in certains areas for a set amount of time. Ok yes if you offer anyone enough money, Im sure they will let you put it on a CD and let you sell it, but in honesty will Alton be willing to let the majority of the profits go to someone else?

Spike
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:35 am

What gets me is why would you go to a company who has such strict laws on using the music your buying from them. If they start throwing in times and areas in which you could only use the music, wouldn't it be easier just to go to a company which doesn't have such stringent rules on the use of their music. Can anyone inform as to which company Alton use to create the music, or is it an array of companies?
*Honest Cint!*

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:40 am

"Scallywag Spike" wrote:
Can anyone inform as to which company Alton use to create the music, or is it an array of companies?

Its not companiess. Its individual composers.

I have been in contact with many composers of music, who have composed music for Alton Towers over the years asking for copies of the music they have composed, however, they all replied saying they need permission from Alton Towers first.

So its less of a case the composers not wanting this music to be accessed by the public and more of a case that Alton Towers don't want it out there.

Spike
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:00 pm

"Wes" wrote:

Its not companiess. Its individual composers.

I have been in contact with many composers of music, who have composed music for Alton Towers over the years asking for copies of the music they have composed, however, they all replied saying they need permission from Alton Towers first.

So its less of a case the composers not wanting this music to be accessed by the public and more of a case that Alton Towers don't want it out there.

Interesting :?

So which it then in terms of who has the most balls in their court. Alton for refusing to distribute the music played on park. Or the composers who depict where the music is played and for how long?

Seems an odd set up if you ask me. :? The music we have now? how has this been obtained (obviously don't answer and put yourselves in the firing line)
*Honest Cint!*

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:07 pm

"Scallywag Spike" wrote:
The music we have now? how has this been obtained (obviously don't answer and put yourselves in the firing line)

Air, Ugland and some Thorpe Park music was put online by its composer. Nemesis and Toyland tours was released by the park some years ago. And other parts have been accsessed by people at the park - who lost their jobs I think.

I haven't contacted Alton Towers about writing a letter to obtain this music from a composer - However, if I did, I am sure Alton Towers wouldn't let me have a copy.