UK theme parks from another point of view!

Maelstrom
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

New Smoking Policy

Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:25 pm

According to screamscape the park are banning smoking across the whole park expect from designated smoking areas. This is a common practice in American Parks but i am not sure of any other Uk/european parks adoping this practice. It apprantly takes affect from openning day.

If this is the case i think it is fantastic idea to introduce across the park.

Ash
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 pm

Its just helping to create a more family image!

John
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:13 pm

I'm not convinced its a good idea. Smoking around the park doesn't do anyone too much harm and the new policy will just annoy people.

I'd rather they take a stronger stance on Q line smokers, which I think most non-smokers would consider much more annoying.

Danzaw*nk
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:24 pm

Good news, one step futher to banning it completely :wink:. But people will still do it :(.

Dan
:D
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:26 pm

Brilliant news if true. :)

Lets hope people listen.

Adam x
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

leejay
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:31 pm

As much i dislike smoking, people doing it in the open isnt THAT bad! I think Alton are making a mistake here. Furthermore, how do they plan on enforcing it when people get away with smoking weed in the queue lines!

They need to take the stance Manchester Academy takes when someone lights up. 3 big bouncers tell escport them straight off premisis!

Ash
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:31 pm

This will have to be enforced by staff, i just hope they pick appropriate places to put the smoking areas

Queen of Speed
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:43 pm

Just wondering, is there a source for this other than screamscape? First i've heard of it.

amylovesaltontowers
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:28 pm

I think it's a great idea. But how many people can go a whole day without having a cigerette??

I think this might affect admissions. This could go terribly wrong for alton.
\'It is better for people to think you are stupid, than to speak out and remove all doubt in their mind.\'

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:29 pm

Urgh. Smoking areas are pathetic.

I would rather have people smoking next to me in the queue.

LiamSAFC

Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:32 pm

This is ridiculous!

Yes, Smoking is a pain in the rear, and I appreciate the 'family' image, but theres no need to ban it completely. It just takes away peoples right to have a light outside. Soon enough, everywhere will be completely banned and rid of smoking, denying peoples rights.

I hate smoking, but its just sad that Merlin/AT are denying people the right to smoke in a public area, they can't do it inside can they. If they do, hopefully they won't put stupid smoking areas in random places.

Liam
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:33 pm

Smoking should be banned everywhere inside the Alton Towers complex in my view. I feel large corperations have a duty to help combat one of society's greatest problems. But this is a very good start indeed! :D
Last edited by Liam on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sanbrooke Productions
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:34 pm

Good news if confirmed , but may affect admissions.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTz9wTb8Q9o\" target=\"_blank]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTz9wTb8Q9o[/url]

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:39 pm

Remember at the moment there has been no official press release from Alton Towers, it's just a snippet on Screamscape. Though there is a reference on the Alton Towers website, in the corporate sections faq's regarding designated smoking areas.

Most venues we use for our events are non smoking. Do you allow smoking at your venues?

Due to new legislation smoking is not allowed in any of our venues. Guests wishing to smoke must use dedicated smoking areas in the theme park. If you are using the Corporate Hospitality Suite guests can use the private patio area.

If it is true, be interesting to see how they enforce it, as they can't enforce the no smoking in queue lines policy.

Also, doesn't Legoland have a no smoking policy covering the entire park??
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Skumfidus

Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:41 pm

I think we all know it won't effect admissions...smokers still go in to nightclubs, smokers still take planes abroad!

amylovesaltontowers
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:55 pm

"Ryanfuk" wrote:
I think we all know it won't effect admissions...smokers still go in to nightclubs, smokers still take planes abroad!

Yes. But people don't go in a night club for the whole day and most planes you are not on for a whole day.

I can't see it happening anyway.
\'It is better for people to think you are stupid, than to speak out and remove all doubt in their mind.\'

LukeJ
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:11 pm

It's not that they can't even smoke at all, they will still have designated smoking areas

bluebird-ash
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:16 pm

Smoking should be banned in the queue line rather than altogether,
because you don't get much fun than standing in the queue line and seeing people smoke in your face.

I think is rude that they smoke in the lines, even if theres a ban..
by the time you get on the ride you smell of smoke and you cant even breathe!!!!

Don't people consider the others around them!
- Especially cause i have asthma and i have to suffer!!
- And i have seen some poor kid have a asthma attack while i queued for Spinball whizzer!!! :evil:
Last edited by bluebird-ash on Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AstroDan

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:23 pm

I have been told via a reliable source at Alton Towers that this is true, so yeah, it'll probably be applicable from March 15th.

:)

NF2
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:25 pm

Consider yourself lucky if smokings the worst you've experienced in a queueline. last time I was at Alton some Chavs were spitting at nemesis on the bridge over the loop. As the train shot round the loop it all sprayed in my face :x Not nice seeing they were all smoking anyway!

I'm not worried about this idea though. Disney and Universal have had smoking bans for ages, and I hardly think their attendance has dropped. Chavs may get PO'd at first, but being Chavs they probably won't listen to the rules and smoke anyway. It's the normal, non chav smokers I feel sorry for that are trying to cut down. Some people unfortunately cannot control the addiction caused by such a filthy habit. If smoking wasn't so addictive we probably wouldn't have as many problems.