UK theme parks from another point of view!

bluebird-ash
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:26 pm

How Disrespectful!!! :evil: :x

Chris1
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:42 pm

I don't see how Alton can inforce such a ban, especially in the gardens...

In theory it's an excellent idea, but in reality, I can't see it making that much difference. People still continue to smoke in queue lines, so i'm sure they'll continue to do it elsewhere around the park aswell....

AstroDan

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:46 pm

"Chrïs" wrote:

In theory it's an excellent idea, but in reality, I can't see it making that much difference. People still continue to smoke in queue lines, so i'm sure they'll continue to do it elsewhere around the park aswell....

Of course there is still going to be a lot of smoking. But it sends out a message.

Liam
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:51 pm

"Scurvy Toe Dan""][quote=""Chrïs" wrote:

Of course there is still going to be a lot of smoking. But it sends out a message.[/quote]
I agree. It's a good gesture, and perhaps easier to enforce than the current queueline one - at least with a blanket ban staff know that all cases of smoking are prohibited and so can spot it easier, with no debate.

Kaycee

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:55 pm

Meh, not a fan of stuff like this. I don't think it particularly promotes a more family image. I rarely notice smokers in the park except for if they're doing it in the queuelines - I don't think it's going to make that much difference to anything.

I think more effort should be made to enforce the queueline smoking ban rather than this - let's get that right first! I think banning people from smoking in the open air except for designated areas is a bit unnecessary and just going to serve to annoy a lot of people who are yet again made to feel like the scummy underbelly of society - a lot of smokers are part of families as well and you don't have to be a chav to be one!

I'm a non-smoker myself (most of the time..), but I dislike this pigeon-holing and sectioning off of smokers to this extent, it's a bit unnecessary.

evil cod

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:55 pm

Fantastic, Ive been mentioning this as one of my hopes for the park for ages!

Admissions wont be effected its not as if people have to go a day without smoking, they can still do it in designated areas which in my opinion is a perfect compromise!

EDIT: yeah Kaycee maybe for you cigg smoke doesnt effect you much but for a quite large proportion of the population just a wiff of it can send them into a coughing fit depriving them of that lovely breathing activity too many people take for granted. I know when i was younger and my asthma was less under control just walking past a smoker could on occasion cripple me.
Last edited by evil cod on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldgitBEN

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:57 pm

its all very well and good saying the park will go smoking but they cant enforce the current no-smoking in queue lines rules so theres not much hope for this rule either.

Ive seen first hand the disney/florida smoking policy including a security man shouting at asbo jnewcombe for being about 2meters away from the right area. Also in disney the areas were tucked away and normally really nice places to chill out, while jon had a toot on the cig Id be sat with a drink and enjoying five mins out.

LiamSAFC

Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:01 pm

"Pink Beard Kaycee" wrote:
Meh, not a fan of stuff like this. I don't think it particularly promotes a more family image. I rarely notice smokers in the park except for if they're doing it in the queuelines - I don't think it's going to make that much difference to anything.

I think more effort should be made to enforce the queueline smoking ban rather than this - let's get that right first! I think banning people from smoking in the open air except for designated areas is a bit unnecessary and just going to serve to annoy a lot of people who are yet again made to feel like the scummy underbelly of society - a lot of smokers are part of families as well and you don't have to be a chav to be one!

Totally agreed, this stuff needs to be completely banned in the queuelines, ESPECIALLY those queuelines and attractions for little children. THINK OF THE CHILDREN.

Its unnecessary to to this in a queueline, however smoking throughout the Theme Park should be permitted really.

Kelly
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:12 pm

I think this is a bit extreme, banning people from smoking in what is essentially a park in the fresh air? Id much prefer them to sort out smoking in queuelines, as you are in a much closer proximity to the smokers, and as a sufferer as asthma, getting stuck behind a smoker is possibly one of the worst things that can happen! When at Blackpool at the weekend, there was a man smoking in the River Caves queueline and it sent me into a coughing fit, it was awful.

I think sectioning off smokers into these 'smoking areas' is a bad idea, and whats to stop people going to smoke in the gardens?

I think they need to sort out the queueline before they even attempt a complete ban.

iriderides101
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:38 pm

Ok im realy weird, but for some reason i love it when other people smoke in quelines, the smell mixes with the wood of the quelines and i just like it,
Weird i kno but for other people thats a good thing.

rita's girl
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:46 pm

As a smoker, I agree with the majority and think there should be a smoking area, look in the other smoking posts and you'll see that.

BUT...... I do not think that they can ban the smoking altogether or enforce it as it is not a government ban (unlike the new smoking ban) and it basically goes against the human rights of people.

I try my damn hardest not to smoke around none smokers. I do not even smoke in my own house as my husband and kids don;t smoke I have to brave the back garden in all weathers :(
Me x

Green.Wing
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:03 pm

Its a good idea. Stopping smoking is a really hard thing to do because of the fact theres no staff to inforce. By saying you can only smoke in this area it, In all hope will reduce the amount of smoking. It makes such a mess around the park and makes areas smell of fag ends.

Queen of Speed
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:11 pm

BUT...... I do not think that they can ban the smoking altogether or enforce it as it is not a government ban (unlike the new smoking ban) and it basically goes against the human rights of people.
They could if they wanted. It's a private place with rules and regulations of entry, if they wanted to ban smoking outright they are well within their right.

I do like the idea of having the park non-smoking with the exception of smoking areas, but like others in the thread I think they need to get to grips with more prominent issues like queue jumping and queue line smoking before making rather ambitious steps like this.

BIan
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:58 pm

I like this solution, Not stopping you from smoking, but making you do it in certain arrears. I agree with what other people saying about the queues being the worse place to smoke, but its also not nice, when the person walking in front of you is smoking and its blowing(not on purpose) on to you.

It should make the park a little cleaner, or a little easier to clean, because all the cigeratte butts will be in one place rather than all over the park.

One thing is certain though, the park will carry on selling packets of cigerattes.

Ian

jd_united
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:48 pm

smoking in the queue lines should definatly be banned in my opinion, because for non-smokers there really is nowhere to escape to. i can't say i've ever experienced a problem around the rest of the park with people smoking, but i do appreciate some people are effected more by cigeratte smoke than others

stigzy
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:51 pm

I'm all for the smoking ban but this is just silly! I can't see that smoking in the open air is doing anyone any harm. The only reasoning that I can cunjer up behind this new said rule is either some free publicity stunt. Or a method in which by enforcing this new rule people would regard smoking in a queue line as a big no, no, where as around park it's ok?! If you get me, I know what I mean anyway!

This new smoking malarkey is going to be more annoying than anything for everyone, for the smokers and the none smokers. By the none smokers I mean, take for example: If my friend wanted to have a cigarette, it would annoy me because I've then got to go to the designated smoking area and wait with him/her while they have there fix of tobacco. My friend would also get annoyed because (as already pointed out) they would feel like the scum of the Earth and perhaps feel rather guilty for various reasons!

Danzaw*nk
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:15 pm

"jd_united" wrote:
smoking in the queue lines should definatly be banned in my opinion, because for non-smokers there really is nowhere to escape to.

It is, but people still ignore it :(.

Dan
:D
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3

stokywolf
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:26 pm

"turdguzzler" wrote:
Smoking should be banned everywhere inside the Alton Towers complex in my view. I feel large corperations have a duty to help combat one of society's greatest problems. But this is a very good start indeed!

I pray for the return of a smoking rocks style post to slam that back down to earth! :D

I'm thinking the possibility of the old fastrack areas as being these new areas. No doubt other areas will be designated but say if they don't put enough of them about many people will just give up on the idea and will just walk and smoke instead as i know myself i wouldnt be arsed to walk all the way down the haunted hollow on the way to the flume just to use the nearby smoking area where i stand about for 5 minutes before i go onto the ride, i would save myself time and hassle and have a smoke on the way down to the ride so it will be finished by the time i get there and can just go into the queue.
Tavern hall of famer - rockerz my sockerz

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:30 pm

I feel sick at the thought of going to a theme park and seeing smokers being forced to go to a small area and smoke.

Sorry, I am all for people not smoking. But I just wouldn't want to see the park do this.

AstroDan

Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:49 pm

I think this is more for the "image" of Alton Towers than the actual health of the nation. The fact is, more and more things are being done to squeeze smokers. Right or wrong, that is what is happening acros the modern world and Alton Towers are merely fitting in to what many places, such as parks in the USA, have already done.

Sadly for smokers, they are just having to get used to the idea that the activity that they enjoy is something that is going to be more and more shunned by law, and, ultimately, by society.

I am just glad i am not one of them!