UK theme parks from another point of view!

Skumfidus

The word 'the'

Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:32 pm

Kind of a double topic -

1.) why is Alton Towers 'Alton Towers resort' not 'The alton towers resort'
and
2.) why do people insist on putting 'the' infront of ride names, like the nemesis, or the oblivion?

but going back to point one, i think it sounds really stunted and wrong, especially on the new advert, anyone agree?

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:38 pm

"Ryanfuk" wrote:
and

They are trying to make it a name. Such as we don't call Alton Towers, 'The Alton Towers' they are just trying to do make it Alton Towers Resort.

However, I agree. The Alton Towers Resort sounds better.

As for

The Nemesis
The Oblivion
Etc,

Its sheer stupidity :P

rhys
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:38 pm

Do people usually call it 'the Nemisis' though?

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:40 pm

It's surprising how many people do actually add 'the' to ride names.

Adam x
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

lindendavies
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The word 'the'

Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:21 pm

"Ryanfuk" wrote:
Kind of a double topic -

and
2.) why do people insist on putting 'the' infront of ride names, like the nemesis, or the oblivion?

but going back to point one, i think it sounds really stunted and wrong, especially on the new advert, anyone agree?

Im surprised u have 'the' time to write such nonsense in a thread?

Skumfidus

Re: The word 'the'

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:32 am

"lindendavies""][quote=""Ryanfuk" wrote:
Kind of a double topic -

and

Im surprised u have 'the' time to write such nonsense in a thread?[/quote]

I'm surprised you have the time to write a reply to something you feel is nonsense!

oh and 'u' is actually spelt Y-O-U, but seeing as you are evidentely always pushed for time, I think we can let you off!

NF2
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:39 am

Putting "The" before ride names is really one of my pet hates, I don't know why, it just is. It might be the fact there's a kid at my school who I hate and came back calling it "The Nemesis" and "The Rita", and it also may be the fact it separates enthusiasts from the GP. Whatever it is I really can't stand people doing it, it's almost as bad as my friend who said the Black Hole had a loop but it's so fast and dark you cannot feel it :lol:

Sarah_RKO
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:21 am

When I'm walking around Towers and I hear people say "ooh lets go to the nemesis", it really annoys me for some reason, it actually sounds stupid.
Jerichoholic..-- RAW..is...Jericho!

Kaycee

Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:27 am

It doesn't bother me. You can't expect those plebians to be as perfect as us fans/enthusiasts pfffftttt. :P:P [/tongue-in-cheek].

But nah, it doesn't bother me.

Mankey
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:25 pm

Well the thing is its a name... you dont say "oh lets go to 'The America' do you? Obviously some people just cant grasp it. Thats why it bothers me so much...

Its like "oh lets go and see the Chris"

Grr, these people obviously never studied english properly :lol:

But back to the point... "The Alton Towers Resort"... It sounds nice, but i think "Alton Towers Resort" has much more punch to it.

^^ Chris ^^
[b]Back from hibernation![b]

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:04 pm

I hear people call Corkscrew 'the Corkscrew', but if they looked on the park map they would see 'Corkscrew' written. Some ride sound stupid with 'the' in front of them, 'The Nemesis' and 'The Oblivion' sound really stupid, and it would get a bit annoying if I kept on hearing people saying these things.

lindendavies
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:59 pm

I am still shocked that a thread of this kind is actually getting replies!!

So some people say The in front of ride names. Lets call the feds!

oldgitBEN

Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:18 pm

calm down dear its just a topic!

its to do with grammer and people just not understanding the ride name personifies the ride rather than a location. Let me use Nemesis as an example, we 'personify' it and say:
"Lets go to Nemesis". A non-enthusiast wouldn't personify it and think of it being a place similar to saying lets go to the pub or rather:
"lets go to the nemesis".

Thats always the way i've percieved it, and tbh it sounds odd to put 'the' infront of alot of ride names. However confusingly some rides even though they dont have a 'the' need one for example: Runaway Mine Train, Flume i'd put a 'the' in front of them.

Im not overly fussed about it the whole scenairio but understand how it happens

Skumfidus

Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:50 pm

"lindendavies" wrote:

I'm really really sorry my topic isn't confroming to your high standards...maybe you can supply us all with some sort of guideline to ensure maximum satisfaction in future?

Surprisingly, this topic wasn't specifically aimed at you, and was a simple question to a) see if any one else noticed it and to b) express how I feel that it sounds weird to say 'at Alton Towers Resort', without a 'the'.

However, just for you, i'll ensure any Alton Towers related questions or opinions are kept for an Alton Towers related forum......oh crap, here I am!

:)

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:15 pm

"lindendavies" wrote:

Hmm, you do understand the concept of a discussion forum right...?

People kinda make topics about stuff, people reply about that stuff, and the thing goes on like that...

If this concept shocks you, I don't advise going on Duel. Apparently there's ghosts and zombies in there!! :shock:

Adam x
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

Dave

Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:36 am

the whole "the Nemesis" thing i somethign i find mildly iritating...

i can cope with it but when you walking around the park and some chaved up trackie wearing girl shreaks at you "where the Rita??!!" it does bring out my OCDside a bit! :lol:

Big D
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:06 am

where as i prefer 'the nemesis' and 'the corkscrew' however 'the oblivion' and 'the rita' just sound daft. I suppose 'the nemesis' to me fits in with the whole nemesis story, that nemesis isnt its name but it is called after the dictionary definition "An opponent that cannot be beaten or overcome" or "A source of harm or ruin". 'the nemesis' use here personifies it to me, makes it alive in my mind. I may be mis-remembering but i think it is also called 'the nemesis' in the story.

As for 'the alton towers resort' becoming alton towers resort im sure its about making it snappier and easier for the public to identify with. Im sure no-one says "im going to alton towers themepark" it just "im going to alton towers" and everyone knows where you mean. Its about indentification and getting 'the resort' into peoples consciousness.
We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area.

lindendavies
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:04 pm

".Adam""][quote=""lindendavies" wrote:

People kinda make topics about stuff, people reply about that stuff, and the thing goes on like that...

If this concept shocks you, I don't advise going on Duel. Apparently there's ghosts and zombies in there!! :shock:

Adam x[/quote]

This is actually very funny, I completely understand what a forum is by the way, just for your info.

You see, different people speak in different ways, so posting a discussion about putting 'the' before names is a bit poor to be honest, is alton towers that bad to force the start of such poor topics?

Why is The Nemesis irritating? - It really depends on what the ride is called isnt it people? - You dont say, lets go on congo river rapids do you? Its THE congo river rapids, or THE log flume. If you say, lets go to Nemesis, it does not sound right.

I have a plan, next time you go to Alton Towers, find one of the day designer team, and make sure you ask them how to say each ride before you ride. This is sure to make your day much better than if you diddnt clarify such important matters prior to entering the park.

Skumfidus

Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:31 pm

"lindendavies""][quote="".Adam""][quote=""lindendavies" wrote:

Adam x[/quote]

This is actually very funny, I completely understand what a forum is by the way, just for your info.

You see, different people speak in different ways, so posting a discussion about putting 'the' before names is a bit poor to be honest, is alton towers that bad to force the start of such poor topics?

Why is The Nemesis irritating? - It really depends on what the ride is called isnt it people? - You dont say, lets go on congo river rapids do you? Its THE congo river rapids, or THE log flume. If you say, lets go to Nemesis, it does not sound right.

I have a plan, next time you go to Alton Towers, find one of the day designer team, and make sure you ask them how to say each ride before you ride. This is sure to make your day much better than if you diddnt clarify such important matters prior to entering the park.[/quote]

Unfortunatley you seem to be the only poster in this topic to not have grasped its concept. Basically, you'll see by my first post it was merely a question as to why people regularly call something by an incorrect name (such as 'Pinball Wizard') and also asks the question of Alton Towers' use of 'Alton Towers Resort', which I feel sounds a bit strange.

Now, not only have you spent about 3 posts moaning about this topics content, you go and top it off with your own opinion that doesn't match mine, hence enriching this 'forum-thingy' TTF has going on.

If you say, lets go to Nemesis, it does not sound right.

'Let's go to Nemesis' does sound right.....it's its name!

If you feel it's a poor topic, I have two suggestions -> P.O and go post elsewhere and also, don't say it's pointless, then add your own two pennys worth, makes you look a bit stupid and shall we say, hypocritical?
Last edited by Skumfidus on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lindendavies
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:33 pm

"Shark Tooth Mark" wrote:
Lindendavies, for someone who states that 'posting a discussion about putting 'the' before names is a bit poor to be honest', you seem to have an awful lot to contribute to said topic.

This is an open discussion forum and our members are free to create pretty much whatever topics they wish to, irrespective of whether or not they meet any stringent, internationally-recognised lindendavies topic-content quality control standards - which this topic obviously does, what with you having plenty to say on the matter.

:D

Not really the right attitude, I did not state anything about it meeting my quality. But usually, if the admins dont think a thread is worthy they delete it or move it. Something I have seen many times.

Anyhoo, I thought I would reply to it, as so many people seem so interested.

I have seen a few forums have the same sort of thread, and personally think its pointless. But there we go, just me a.