UK theme parks from another point of view!

Jon
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Alternate Ride Names?

Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:26 pm

I was watching the magic factory again out of boredom, and caught someone talking about Oblivion "we debated the ride name for some time". It just got me thinking what other names could come close to the names of park rides. We have the names of rides fixed into our minds so much I don't think we can really imagine them with different names.

Does anyone know of any alternate names for rides that were considered?
Formerly "Dagoo"

Ash
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:23 pm

Nemesis = Apocalypse (as it wasnt taken at the time) , Happy Fun Fairy Land, Super Fun Happy Ride, Creature, The Punisher.

AstroDan

Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:30 pm

Rita = Tina.
Mutiny Bay Doughnuts: Yo-Ho Donuts.

:)

Mr Hyde
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:04 pm

PicSolve = PicSave
YourDay = MyDay
Spinball Whizzer = Pinball Whizzard, Pinball Spinner, Whizzball Spinner,
Squrirrel Nutty = Squrirrel Nutkin
Nemesis = Memphsis
Ripsaw = Rickshaw
Field of 1000 Screams = Field of 1000 Corpses
[size=75]i want to be uploaded

Johno
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:33 pm

Rita was going to be called Ralph King of Speed.

Alton Buzz
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:38 pm

Not rides as such, however:

Splash Landings Hotel was a originally marketed as 'Calypso Springs Hotel' and 'Caribia Creek' as 'Splash Landings Waterpark'.
Where the magic never ends.

Jon
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:45 pm

"Titler" wrote:
Nemesis = Apocalypse (as it wasnt taken at the time) , Happy Fun Fairy Land, Super Fun Happy Ride, Creature, The Punisher.

Nemesis was going to be called super-fun-happy-ride :shock:
Formerly "Dagoo"

Chris1
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:15 pm

I'm pretty sure somebody in marketing mentioned that they were going to call Rita, Full Throttle initially; but decided against the idea as it was considered to stereotypical...

:?

Queen of Speed
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:25 pm

I remember reading about that, was in the staff magazine if I recall correctly, I'm pretty sure they actually said they never planned to call it anything like 'Full Throttle' due to the reason you said, so it wasn't actually intended to have that name at any point.

I remember seeing a video about Submission in which an AT spokesperson said various names for Submission were considered such as 'Altonator'.

Skumfidus

Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:25 pm

I think full throttle would have suited Stealth better, i personally really like Rita, and think most of my friends do too.....good times!

Wasn't Oblivion supposed to be called 'The Edge'?

Queen of Speed
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:49 pm

I don't know about Oblivion but Stealth was originally going to be called The Edge. They had the logo and signs put in place and everything, then there was some sort of issue which meant they couldn't use the name.

And personally I hate the name full throttle, its just so predictable and cliched. I'm glad Tussauds / Merlin are often quite good at picking names that people aren't going to guess.

Skumfidus

Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:00 am

"Queen of Speed" wrote:
I don't know about Oblivion but Stealth was originally going to be called The Edge. They had the logo and signs put in place and everything, then there was some sort of issue which meant they couldn't use the name.

And personally I hate the name full throttle, its just so predictable and cliched. I'm glad Tussauds / Merlin are often quite good at picking names that people aren't going to guess.

I've heard Oblivion was going to be called the edge, they decided against it, so called the FV gaming unit The Edge.

Then Stealth was going to use the name, but didn't, and they asked the public to name it (brilliant idea for a ride they knew nothing about!)

Queen of Speed
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:47 am

Then Stealth was going to use the name, but didn't, and they asked the public to name it (brilliant idea for a ride they knew nothing about!)

Close, but not quite :P

In August 2005 there was a poll on the official Thorpe Park website to name the new coaster. The choices were:
    Peak Fear
    The Edge
    IKON
    Demon’s Drop
    The Humdinger

It seemed The Edge won the competition although the actual results of the poll were never made public so it could have been fixed. The general manager confirmed to staff that this was going to be a name and signage was made and installed around the area.

Then in December 2005 legal complications arose and this meant that The Edge name couldn't be used, and so Stealth was born (The fact they used this name instead of the second favourite public poll name suggests to me it was a fix and they were doing what they wanted not what the results dictated).

Power Of Ten
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:35 am

Wasn't the reason they could not use the edge because of Pitza Hut lol :P

Or mabye im just talking rubbish as usual.
This is my last Comment or View of TTF. I\'ve had enough of all this geek stuff, Im not worrying about theming or story\'s or landscaping, smoothness or what a ride is like compared to another. To just enjoy the roller coasters as fun and adrenalin filled.

altontowers1
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:47 am

I cant really think of any other names i would like for the rides as like you said we are so used to oblivion air nemesis e.g. that we couldt imagin them as anythink else.

But i do think The beastie is slightly laim :P . They should just have kept the dragon coaster/mini dragon i think thats what it used to be called...

Personally i like mini dragon, lil dragon, Hecty the dragon coaster :roll: .

x
Carling cup winners 2011 Birmingham City fc \":)\"

mezza
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:29 pm

More alternate names:

Runaway Mine Train - Out Of Control Coal Extraction Vehicle

Haunted House - Building In Which Paranormal Things May Occur

Black Hole - Rollercoaster In A Tent With Not Much Light In It

Charlie And The Chocolate Factory - Brian And The Confectionary Manufacture Facility

Submission - The Uncomfortableatron

Old MacDonald's Tractor Ride - Satan's Dangerous Agricultural Equipment Joyride Disaster

I think in general, the names AT chose were the best ones.
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER

badger

Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:18 pm

People around me think that I may be dyslexic. So I therefore have alternative names for most things, just because I can't remember the real name;

At Alton towers we have:

Bish bash berry bosh
Swingy things
Blivy
Nemmi
RMT
The wet tyers

There are shops in Hanly called

Katy Max
Preamark
etc
:shock:

Corkscrewed

Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:56 pm

I heard they were gonna call Oblivion "The Edge" as well, although I can't remember from where... Although this was never suggested I think the name "Shaky" would have been good for The Corkscrew... and maybe Air could've been Called "Whoosh"...

Still, AT made good choices with their naming of rides, apart from "The Black Hole" maybe (My stepdad thought it was some kind of space exhibit :P)

Jon
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:13 pm

Full Throttle would have been an awful name for a ride! Totally generic and bland. I actually love the name Rita - but then I'm a big Beatles fan. I lot of people I know don't like it, but I think it's really clever and suits the ride perfectly.
Formerly "Dagoo"

Spike
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:56 pm

"Power Of Ten" wrote:
Wasn't the reason they could not use the edge because of Pitza Hut lol :P

Either that or the drummer from U2 disapproved. :lol:
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*