UK theme parks from another point of view!

James6
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Duel: General Discussion

Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:26 pm

Just wanted to add, last weekend in Duel, when in the Spider Section, a voice comes over which repeats saying "Are you afraid of spiders!"

I must say I personally wasn't a fan but was glad the ride is getting attention, even if it was repeated to often.

Oh and also, the guy who's hand raises gesturing you to come to him, was no longer working.
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P

[Archive]

Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:31 pm

"Are you scared of spiders?!" has quite a lot of history behind it and I think it is a great effect. A shame that it keeps repeating but it is great to have another piece of the Haunted House shine through the LEDs and guns. It was fixed about two years ago as I definitely remember hearing it faintly in 2008. During Duel Live it was very strong and it is great that it is still being maintained.

Shame about the Undertaker's hand (again!) but animatronics do fail every now and then, hope it's fixed soon.

Anthony
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:32 pm

I think that voice is from The Haunted House, years ago!

When I went last, the video wasn't working and the last demon (Tigger) didn't activate.

Other than that, it was fine. It even made me jump a couple of times since I hadn't been on park in almost a year.

:D

James6
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:38 pm

Ah thanks for that :)

It was definitely the first time I've heard it, it certainly added something to that area, but then was taken away again by the amount it was played.

Similar to you Dorsia, this year has been the first year I've properly noticed Tigger, all other years it's either not worked or not been noticeable. Glad it is now :)

But yeah, does anyone else wish that some great areas of theming on Duel were illuminated better?

[Archive]

Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:53 pm

You can't usually tell a lot from online videos, but this one really shows a lot. Other recently captured POVs show the same changes, but they were not as clear. Well, not only are many effects working but it shows a load of, in my opinion, brilliant improvments!

Firstly, a lot of lighting has been changed. Particularly there has been increase of black lighting used throughout the Crash Column, Trommel's Tunnel and Spiders scenes which now, in my opinion (judging from comments and the video), look fantastic. I also love what look like new lights on the Trommel's entrance monster, I actually gasped at that point!

The spiders now animate properly in a way that I have not seen before, and the giant spider is lit much better. The Skeleton Corridor has also vastly improved, though not in the way of effects. Electric Bill's... I mean my new robe looks lovely and it is good to see the added skeletons and spark effect still there. Down the Corridor itself it seems as if there is new lighting which should compliment the theming nicely (this was previously complete darkness). You can just make out the skeleton in the bed.

The Screaming Room is fabulous. I don't know if they always look like that or if it is just my frail, frightened mind playing tricks inside my brain, but they look a hell of a lot more prominent. I always remember finding it hard to see each one of the banshees, especially the overhead ones, because the strobes have been so faint. Now they all seem to glow really well, I assume better black lighting has been installed. Brilliant. Same with the Garden; the Copper's ghost effect on the hearse is far more noticable.

As if things couldn't get better, there is a ton of new lighting in the Zombie Finale. Shadows on the walls, strobes behind windows, added gels showing up detailed theming, etc. I didn't know that scene even could look that good.

Well done to whoever made the effort to make these improvments. I have never seen so many effects working so fluently. And all that lighting is making it look a lot more like the magic masterpiece that it should be. Thank you. :mrgreen:

Now all I have to do is actually ride it.

Titters
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:45 am

Last time I went on Duel, I took the difficult decision not to shoot and therefore spent the ride actually looking at the effects and scenery. After coming off, I realised how much the transition from haunted house to laser battle has ruined the experience...

If only everyone could see the ride for what it really is...

By the way - I loved the skeleton bathroom scene - I'd never noticed it before and no-one I was on with saw it either.

aru
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:12 am

I have to say, Duel looks very impressive in that video posted by electricbill. I guess I would say I have a bit of a nerdy view of this ride - but there are many new effects, mostly lighting that I have never seen before / haven't worked in an age. These are especially obvious in the final two scenes and during the Spider section. Someone has been through that ride and really put some effort in. :D

I just wish they would improve the strobe lighting and tone it down - and also make changes to the pretty dire zombie window crash section. Hopefully AT will invest in some new scenes to spice the ride up into the future, maybe focusing upon the skeleton section..

AltonTowersNerd
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:59 pm

When I rode and filmed Duel I saw a few things that showed up
*Most effects were working and illusional.
*The Columns were just as normal.
*Trommel's Tunnel entrance was looking better than ever.
*When going through the tunnel, a power blue showed really well.
*Zombie scenes were looking scary in the shadows and blackness.
*Are you scared of spiders sound effect was clear and loud.
*There was a illuminous green light at the Electric Bills scene when Electric Bill plunged the switch.
*When i was filming the spiders scene, a couple of strobes were fine.
*The screaming corners were normal.
*There was a little bit of red between the undertaker and garden scene.
*The zombies/finale had pretty much the same, just added a few more illuminations, plus the ride cars sped up a little as it was nearly the end of the ride.
*The monitor at the end didn't show our scores.

Thats mostly my comments on my POV of Duel.

here's a link to my ride video from photobucket.
---------------

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:22 pm

Duel seemed to be working mighty fine today. Didn't see anything major that was broken. Everything seemed to work brilliantly. Best I have seen it in a while.

Also good to see the bit after Electric Bill lit up all the time, rather than a split second when you pass it, and also the Bathroom scene as well. Normally they are so easily missed.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Lilypad
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:15 pm

In the que there is a holograph of a girl writing something on a board. Is it a Pepper's Ghost effect or something else?

[Archive]

Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:28 pm

It is a projection on to a clear piece of glass. So, no, not technically a Pepper's ghost effect, but it works using light visible on glass in the same way. :)

The glass is tilted, and I think the projector is concealed in the Doll's House, either below or above the room where the ghost appears.

James6
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:50 pm

Have to say, was awesome again on Monday. :D

This season it's been almost like having a new dark ride... fantastic stuff.

Oh and managed my new high score, 80500 :P

starbugger1303
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:56 pm

When i rode it last week i noticed the exploded toilet prop after Electric Bill lit up in red, has anyone else noticed it lately?

[Archive]

Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:40 pm

Well, I have been noticing it for about four years now. Does that count? :wink:

Tom M
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:03 pm

"electricBlll" wrote:
It is a projection on to a clear piece of glass. So, no, not technically a Pepper's ghost effect, but it works using light visible on glass in the same way. :)

The glass is tilted, and I think the projector is concealed in the Doll's House, either below or above the room where the ghost appears.

Erm it's exactly the same as the fireplace effect. No projector involved, just the reflection from a TV screen facing downwards in the top of the dolls house.

linzimoo6
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:39 pm

Usually Duel bores me, and my finger always ends up hurting half way through, to which I just want to give up! However I went yesterday for the 1st time in 4 years and have to say that indeed my finger started to hurt but despite this I actually really enjoyed it this time round! It seemed a bit scarier this time, I dont know what it was...my partner loved it! He was convinced he got the highest score ever! Bless him! I really think something was different I definately jumped more than usual! Me and my little group were pleseantly surprised with the experience...oh but the undertakers hand still wasnt working, and I never heard "are you afraid of spiders" either!

[Archive]

Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:03 pm

Yeah, screen instead of projector, you are right.

As for the Undertaker's hand, it really does need some attention. I read in a very very old topic that the finger were broken off, so they covered it with a glove. The fingers do look slightly different/awkward, as if they replaced it with some sort of makeshift figure. The mechanism is obviously rather tired now, and the arm usually judderes around intead of smoothly beckoning. It must have broken completely now. Perhaps they need a new arm and mechanism. They ought to redress/retouch him a bit too.

James6
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:41 pm

His finger at the moment is scary, it's really thick and sloped to one side, as if they've melted together the remains of the other fingers. : :P

Furius Baco
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:02 pm

what gets me is the duel queue outside is no longer used and id rather see a new small ride or something put in because that bit of the queue is only used during scarefest and duel live and i dont even think duel live is going this halloween?

[Archive]

Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:06 pm

It is a pretty big area, but definitely needed because the queue does overflow into it on busy days. What's more, any future projects like Duel live will rely on it. It is a lovely, atmospheric area as well. I hope they never demolish it.