UK theme parks from another point of view!

Spike
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

Alton Towers NYE

Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:14 pm

Should Alton open part of the park for guests over the New Year period?

As some of you are aware Europa opens over NY and it sounds like a good idea.

Why don't Alton open part of the park New Year even if it was just Forbidden Valley with access via the Woodland Walk? :?

I just think it would be awesome to have some ride time over this period. I know they don't have to as they will fill the place anyway but I'm wondering why?
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*

Corkscrewed

Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:30 pm

that would be awesome. I can just imagine a huge new years party at the actual towers, Big Bens countdown on a huge screen, and a massive fire works display after the final chime!!!

That would be AWESOME!

I would actually quite like this to be implemented, I hope this is one of the posts Alton Towers reads. Don't let it sink. :D

Sir John Talbot
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:40 pm

Infact, you'd think that the restrictions for Firework loudness would be a little bit more lenient since - ya know, it's NYE and there are fireworks going off everywhere.

It could be fantastic. Would be a great tie-in for the Resort and the hotels too... as I'm sure many would like to go to Alton for such an event, but would not be too keen on driving home past 12 o'clock. *ting* Staying in the hotels comes to mind!

Ryan Kingdaka
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:44 pm

Spike, isn't this asking for a little too much?

Ok, I, like anyone, would love to see the park open through this period, but the rides do take time to have their annual maintenance check up, and Alton do open for February half-term as it is!

The rides are definitely a no, but getting a fair in and a fireworks display to bring in the new year would be fantastical!

Just open up Towers Street and the lawns, get a fair in, close off all other areas, open up all the cafe's and shops in Towers Street, get some part-time staff in and thats all you need!

Only floor in that plan is the fireworks and those people beginning with R!

Corkscrewed

Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:50 pm

I thought the ropers had moved on...

meh. I wouldn't be too bothered about the rides. I would be there for the atmosphere! the towers, looming over you, as all the people around you start counting in a new year... and the fireworks would be incredible!

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:50 pm

I think opening part of the park for a few days over New Year would be great and it could be quite popular. Even if they only opened Forbidden Valley then it would still be worth it. The only problem would be that it's right in the middle of the winter maintenance period so it may not be possible to open certain rides.

Also they should be allowed fireworks on NYE, people can't complain about then as they go off everywhere. AT should definitely consider doing this, I think it would go down really well.

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:53 pm

The park need to use the lawn way more in events and special occasions.

Its a huge bit of land which has a huge capacity and amazing views. That whole area, with the towers, the trees, the lake, the lawn. I have always wanderd why on earth they dont use it for these things.

Spike
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:55 pm

"Ryan Kingdaka" wrote:

Ok, I, like anyone, would love to see the park open through this period, but the rides do take time to have their annual maintenance check up, and Alton do open for February half-term as it is!

The rides are definitely a no, but getting a fair in and a fireworks display to bring in the new year would be fantastical!

Just open up Towers Street and the lawns, get a fair in, close off all other areas, open up all the cafe's and shops in Towers Street, get some part-time staff in and thats all you need!

You miss-understand Ryan, I'm talking about opening an area like Forbidden Valley on NYE and NYD for hotel guests only.

In response to annual maintenance: how do Europa, Disney, Universal manage to do it? Universal Studios open 365 days a year.
*Honest Cint!*

DanB
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:00 pm

I guess the issue here is how cold it will be. I know Europa don't have silverstar open which is a B&M so i doubt we'd see Nemesis or Air open.

:(

Danzaw*nk
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:01 pm

"DanB" wrote:
I know Europa don't have silverstar open which is a B&M so i doubt we'd see Nemesis or Air open.

I'm guessing that's due to the locals though, isn't Forbidden Valley the area of the park furthest away from the locals?

Dan
:D
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3

Spike
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:05 pm

"DanB" wrote:
I guess the issue here is how cold it will be. I know Europa don't have silverstar open which is a B&M so i doubt we'd see Nemesis or Air open.

:(

It aint Thorpe where their coasters suffer from coaster flu. :P

As I said above how do Universal cope, Florida still gets a winter season and a cold one at that and they run Dueling Dragons & the Hulk which are both B&M's :)
*Honest Cint!*

AstroDan

Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:07 pm

There must be reasons for it. Although I think Phantasialand open Black Mamba in Winter so...? Guess logisitcally they have a lot to juggle, with February etc.

To be honest the one thing I felt was REALLY lacking from New Year at Alton Towers was fireworks... With hotels both being sold out, they could have put some on i reckon.

Spike
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:11 pm

"AstroDan." wrote:

To be honest the one thing I felt was REALLY lacking from New Year at Alton Towers was fireworks... With hotels both being sold out, they could have put some on i reckon.

Yeah I agree fireworks are the icing on the cake with NYE.
*Honest Cint!*

Ryan Kingdaka
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:16 pm

"Spike"&quot;][quote=&quot;"Ryan Kingdaka" wrote:

You miss-understand Ryan, I'm talking about opening an area like Forbidden Valley on NYE and NYD for hotel guests only.

In response to annual maintenance: how do Europa, Disney, Universal manage to do it? Universal Studios open 365 days a year.[/quote]

Such places as Disney Land and Universal Studio's will close rides at different times of the year, and I would imagin, have more engineers to hand, therefore getting the job done twice as fast as the likes of Alton Towers!

Yeah, I mis-understood :oops:

Spike
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:18 pm

"Ryan Kingdaka" wrote:
Such places as Disney Land and Universal Studio's will close rides at different times of the year, and I would imagin, have more engineers to hand, therefore getting the job done twice as fast as the likes of Alton Towers!

Yeah, I mis-understood :oops:

The actually work through the night on maintenance. :wink:
*Honest Cint!*

Rita 2005
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:19 pm

"Spike" wrote:
As I said above how do Universal cope, Florida still gets a winter season and a cold one at that and they run Dueling Dragons & the Hulk which are both B&M's :)
The Average Temp. for Staffordshire in January is 6C, in Orlando it is about 18C, but the main problem would be frost.

Kaycee

Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:41 pm

If you think about staffing costs as well for NYE and NYD - would it be viable to them?

Personally last NYE I enjoyed the time spent chilling out round the Hotels as opposed to being in the park a lot - so I'd say I'm not particularly bothered for an area of the park to be open. :D

Craig

Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:39 am

I have the same view as Kaycee on this one. Alton have a HUGE unique asset in the gardens and of course the Towers themselves. I don't feel they exploit them enough as it is, so having them, and only them open over new year is a huge and unique selling point to me personally.

Although maintenance is carried out on a nightly basis, you still have the more major annual maintenance (e.g ride/train strip downs and rebuilds, restraint replacement and painting) to perform which is carried out over winter. With this, you've then got access difficulties too, for example Blade being taken down last season blocked paths in Forbidden Valley. Then there's the landscaping improvements too, with paving replacements seen in recent years etc. I'd much rather see this done in bulk rather than a rolling maintenance programme a la Disney.

From a personal point of view too, it's nice to have a break from the damn rides for a few months too :P

New Year was absolutely fantastic at Alton last year, and I'm hopeful they'll build on that success this year. There's plenty of things which could be done, such as the fireworks as suggested which would really be the icing on the cake of such a successful event.

Spike
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:19 am

"Kaycee" wrote:
If you think about staffing costs as well for NYE and NYD - would it be viable to them?

They still had to get staff last year to op the rides they had on the car parks. Why not scrap the fairground rides and stick them in Forbidden Valley? :)
*Honest Cint!*

Craig

Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:24 am

To be fair though, that was two members of staff (one on frog hopper, one on bouncing bugs the dodgems were a showman's), whereas the likes of the rides in Forbidden Valley (with the exception of Blade) require more people to run them.