UK theme parks from another point of view!

Mattt
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

What was the best year for AT?

Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:18 pm

Not sure if its been done, but I couldn't find it in a search.

What do you feel was the best year for Alton Towers? I mean new addition wise and just best season overall. Was it 1994, with the magic of Nemesis? Or 2005 with Rita: Queen of Speed? Or 1998, with Oblivion? For me it was the latter, Oblivion just seemed to create so much magic and mystery.

What about you? :D

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:22 pm

I'll second that. 1998. The year that Alton Towers really began to become a major player in the theme park world, but also after Tussauds took over he park and the introduction of Katanga Canyon and Gloomy Wood in 1992. :D

AstroDan

Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:22 pm

This is an incredibly difficult question, as there have been a number of years I can look back on and think that visits then were the best ever.

However, I would rule out 2002-2006 entirely, as I generally think that period was the weakest in my Alton Towers visiting history - mainly as the new attractions were overall not as good as they could have been, and entertainment was steadily reduced.

Thankfully, times are changing again - and I feel that since the end of 2006/start of 2007, the park has been improving.

For me, I would say that the 2007 season was pretty good, mainly because the park brought back a Halloween event which, whilst it could have been better, I enjoyed an awful lot. The 1997 season I remember visiting, when Ripsaw was new, was magical. I remember visiting, vaguely, when RMT and Haunted House were new in 1992 and being wowed off my socks.

It's really hard to day in all honesty, but it would have to be early to mid 1990's for me when Alton Towers was coming into its own.

After a few bad years in my eyes, I am hoping though that come the next big thing (hopefully 2010) - we'll be choosing that as the best year.

For now though, 1997. There was some buzz.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:24 pm

...but 2007 as far as attractions are concerned was very poor. I mean the Haunted Hollow and the mistake that was ''The Dung Heap''. But yes, I suppose not every year has to be about major family/thrill rides. :)

AstroDan

Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:26 pm

"CoasterCrazyChris" wrote:
...but 2007 as far as attractions are concerned was very poor. I mean the Haunted Hollow and the mistake that was ''The Dung Heap''. But yes, I suppose not every year has to be about major family/thrill rides. :)

Exactly, I am not saying 2007 was anywhere near the best year - but it was the year when, in my eyes, Alton Towers began realising they can't just install expensive rides and be done. They have to install good rides and install them well. I know they installed rubbish in 2007, but the Golf was good - and this led on to 2008 when they installed themed attraction(s).

1997 wasn't a major year either, but it was a good year.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:29 pm

Something that Tussauds were very, very good at. Installing the hefty costing attractions and then burying their heads in the sand, or turning a blind eye; however you wish to look at it. :roll:

Mattt
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:37 pm

"CoasterCrazyChris" wrote:
Something that Tussauds were very, very good at. Installing the hefty costing attractions and then burying their heads in the sand, or turning a blind eye; however you wish to look at it. :roll:

I agree, they were like kids, on Roller Coaster Tycoon, build big and crazy,and be done with it! I do also like the sound of the year when Katanga was built, the area just works, Rapids will never outdate, and the RMT is the perfect family attraction, IMO best in the country!

Kaycee

Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:40 pm

1998/1999 time, with Oblivion.

I think it'll be hard to call this one without referring to your own experiences and visits there at any given time, but for me the park absolutely buzzed at this time and I loved everything about it.

For me, the worst years were certainly 2003/2004 - park was dirty, unkempt and it had just gone downhill so much. I'd say over the last couple of seasons it's vastly improved.

AstroDan

Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:44 pm

I also believe people are too quick too slag off Tussauds. It is mainly about the park management. Like at the moment people say "Merlin are this and that" but actually, the Monorail re-themes, or Mutiny Bay - it isn't Merlin. It's Russell Barnes, James Paulding and everyone else at Alton Towers.

Remember though, during the Tussauds era - they put the cash up for some of the best attractions in the country - Nemesis, Oblivion, Ripsaw, RMT, Haunted House, Storybookland.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:52 pm

Yes, as i've said before Alton Towers will always seem Tussauds to me - and not in a bad way. And AT, Thorpe Park and Chessington will always be ''sister parks'' to me, they come as a ''package'' IMO and always will do to me.

Yes and Merlin are not really anything much different to Tussauds, a big company wanting to snap up all the parks and make money. Altho since they've been in ownership the park has had a turn around.
Last edited by CoasterCrazyChris on Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luke

Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:54 pm

Any of the years from 2001 to 2003 for me.

2001 because I remember visiting for the first time since about 94, and just falling in love with the place. Following the construction of Air over on ATA was a special time.

I loved 2002 because this is probably the year where I shared my best times at Alton Towers, with the opening of Air all the way through to the first ever Terror of the Towers, which at the time was something quite unique to this country.

2003 because of watching the transition of Haunted House to Duel. Also arguably the best ending to a season with the spooky fireworks show, and of course the return of TOTT.

oldgitBEN

Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:58 pm

Im going to say 1994 - thunderlooper, nemesis and the beast all present in the newly themed Forbidden Valley. The level of marketing for the park, in particular nemesis was collosal.

The Haunted House and Runaway minetrain were also quite new and again well themed.

I just remember walking around seeing so many new attractions and areas and it having the best atmosphere I've ever known. It was to me the height of alton towers brilliance, so far.

Sanbrooke Productions
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:06 pm

1998 as of Oblivion and i remember thinking what was hapening. Also 2008 has being a very good year in my opinion. :D
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTz9wTb8Q9o\" target=\"_blank]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTz9wTb8Q9o[/url]

DomB
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:13 pm

This is hard, as I've had a massive gap from Alton from about 1999 till 2006, and in 1998 I was only 5 , so I'm gonna go for 2008 as I had the best time I've ever had at alton towers, the atmosphere has certainl been restored there with the new shows, the brilliant theming of Mutiny Bay and lot's more little things they've done to improve the actual park.

So for me, personally, I think this year is there best in my opinion.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:13 pm

It seems any year ending in an '8'. :D

1988 - BLACK HOLE
1998 - OBLIVION + X-SECTOR
2008 - MUTINY BAY + GENERAL PARK TURNAROUND

...and I always said eight was a lucky number. :lol:

DomB
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:14 pm

It is in china, it means prosperity.

jonathan leake
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:49 am

"Yoshi-Dom" wrote:
It is in china, it means prosperity.

Someones seen the HSBC advert. :D

Chris1
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:28 pm

In my view it was 2002, despite Air not living up to the hype, it was the general anticipation of riding something that had never been built anywhere else that made it a fantastic year to visit.....

1998 was also a good year but with no Hex, Ug Land or Air; I feel Alton was more on the verge of perfection in 2002. It's just a shame the park fell at the final hurdle, and never really got back up...

Scottishwoody
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:33 pm

I'd say 2008 has been good. Mostly with the Mutiny Bay area. It was beginning to feel like lately Alton towers was turning more into an amusement park than a theme park. Like Rita, a racecar themed accelerator roller coaster, so they stick it in dino-themed Ug Land :? And Spinball Whizzer was really just a rollercoaster with one or two props thrown around it to make it look slightly pinball like.

But with Mutiny Bay it appears they are bringing the 'theme' back to 'theme park' :D

jordi20012002
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:32 pm

I have to agree with Kaycee, around the time Oblivion was launched is when things were good, the Nemesis, Oblivion and the Black Hole still standing and the park had a feeling of magic around it, also around 2001 was a good time when things were still good and you could see Air in construction.

Last year was a bit of a dull season but this season has definately improved, well it seemed like it when I visited in May, I am going this week for my final visit of the season...but may get a season ticket for next year