UK theme parks from another point of view!

linzimoo6
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Expenses!

Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:54 pm

When did paying for the car park come into play???

What is the need for it??

BULBOUS
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:26 pm

A few years ago.

Because Merlin want your money.
Adjective: Fat, round, or bulging.

linzimoo6
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:29 pm

well, i think its just awful...and its annoying bcoz people have to and will pay aswell.

unacceptable

AstroDan

Actually, because Tussauds wanted the money. And now, the Alton Towers management don't want to charge for parking - as they know it leaves a sour end to the day if guests have to pay the £4 charge. However they cannot get rid of it as suddenly getting rid of £x amount of money that was previously guaranteed is hard to justify to the bigwigs, sadly.

BIan
TT Member
TT Member

Just get an AP, free car parking then.

At £66 if you visit twice, you are saving £14 just off parking and full price tickets.

Ian

Lon
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:56 pm

All European Parks charge for parking cars, in fact for once I think Alton Towers is cheaper than most.

Still free at Chessington and Thorpe though

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:17 am

Having to pay £4 for parking isn't a nice end to the day, especially after all the money you have just spent in the park. If they could I'm sure AT would get rid of the charge tomorrow, but it's just not possible, think how many cars must go each year and the money made form it.

Hopefully the charge will be removed in the future, but who knows how long it will be before it is?

Lon
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:19 am

"rob 92" wrote:
Having to pay £4 for parking isn't a nice end to the day, especially after all the money you have just spent in the park. If they could I'm sure AT would get rid of the charge tomorrow, but it's just not possible, think how many cars must go each year and the money made form it.

Hopefully the charge will be removed in the future, but who knows how long it will be before it is?

Don't hold your breath!

It's going to be there for the forseeable future, just pay it and enjoy your day.

caffeine_demon
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:56 am

"AstroDan" wrote:
Actually, because Tussauds wanted the money. And now, the Alton Towers management don't want to charge for parking - as they know it leaves a sour end to the day if guests have to pay the £4 charge. However they cannot get rid of it as suddenly getting rid of £x amount of money that was previously guaranteed is hard to justify to the bigwigs, sadly.

so - they should remove the car parking charge.... and then charge £3 each ifor the monorail.... :evillaugh:

Vicki
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:33 am

"Lon" wrote:
All European Parks charge for parking cars, in fact for once I think Alton Towers is cheaper than most.

Still free at Chessington and Thorpe though

Ah, but friends who have visited Thorpe inform me they charge for maps. So they get it back somehow.
The Lonely end of the Rink- a great song, and it\'s usually the case when I go ice skating because I just can\'t keep up!

Nick

Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:34 am

Thorpe stopped charging for maps ages ago!

tomathy
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:43 am

So, if they make the car parking included in the ticket price, will everyone who's driving in chip in for my bus fare, seeing as I'm paying for your parking... :roll:

dizzy_telford
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:32 am

paying for car parking is something i have never actually been bothered about, as when you have a car of four friends, £1 isne bad at all, plus when i went ot disney, car parking was quite a bit more...so not really that bothered...i have a fab day out and dont let it bother me!

MPDarby
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:49 pm

What me and my friend tend to do is stop for a round of extraordinary golf at the end of the day then when you leave the car park is virtually empty and the barriers are left open. Thus meaning you don't need to pay. If you do this however I would suggest buying a car park token to be on the safe side but you can always keep this for your next visit. Cheeky I know but they do make enough money off me in the space of a year!
Thanks for riding the Runaway Minetrain, we hope you enjoyed your trip. Choo! Choo!

barryzola

Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:03 pm

.....or pretend to yourself that you're going to stay in the hotel for the night when you arrive in the morning. Obviously you'd use the hotel car park when planning to stay the night. Then after your splendid day on park you could accidentally forget to stay in the hotel for the night and just drive out the way you came in. Forgetfulness is terrible isn't it? Did i mention that there's no charge when you park in the hotel car park?

:o

Nathan
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:17 pm

TBH the car park fee is a bit of a con, particularly at £4. I've never understood why it is was introduced in the first place, just more compulsory money grabbing.

Alton Towers should value that people have chosen to spend a day out at the park. The least they could is allow people to park their car free of charge.

The park should just add any car parking charge onto the admission price - because at the end of the day, that is what it will cost bare minimum for a visit to the park anyway.

If Alton management are concerned that it leaves a sour end to the guest's day then they should just enforce people to buy their parking token at admission kiosks.

Quickey
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:21 pm

If they don’t want to leave a sour taste in peoples mouths at the end of the day, why don’t they just charge you for parking at the start of the day when you come in. that is they way all the parks do it in America.

Matt
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:48 pm

"Mackem Lad" wrote:

The park should just add any car parking charge onto the admission price -

Why should someone who travels by bus pay for everyone else to park?
or anyone being dropped off?

And admission charges are expensive as it is.

matt
:)x

Nathan
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:51 pm

True.

Never looked at it that way to be honest.

linzimoo6
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:53 pm

I just think its a con to pay for parking full stop!

The park tickets are expensive as it is, its jus greed, and unfair on the public!