UK theme parks from another point of view!

AltonThorpe
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Ride Reliability

Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:01 pm

I think that Alton Towers are really good whith there rides. I go to Alton lots and nearly every time, every ride has been open (with the exception of Corkscrew a few years ago). Good on you Alton. Why can't Thorpe be the same. Everytime I go there there is always a ride shut :x
England 38-21 New Zealand - 1st December 2012

Twickenham Stadium

ReallyRollercoasterRules
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Ride Reliability

Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:03 pm

Let's see... Air has some down-time almost every day, Skyride is regularly closed. Rita breaks down a lot. Oblivion has had a bit of down time this season etc.

Wheras Thorpe- since February- have been quite good as far as reliability goes :D
Really Rollercoaster- The Latest Theme Park News & Reviews

[url=http://www.reallyrollercoaster.co.uk/\" target=\"_blank]http://www.reallyrollercoaster.co.uk/[/url]

DomB
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:05 pm

I think he means though, that at somepoint during the day, all rides are open.

AltonThorpe
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:07 pm

Whenever I go to Thorpe a ride is defo shut, either colossus, stealth, samurai, slammer, RUSH, Tidal Wave :(

Twickenham Stadium

ReallyRollercoasterRules
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:20 pm

"AltonThorpe" wrote:
Whenever I go to Thorpe a ride is defo shut, either colossus, stealth, samurai, slammer, RUSH, Tidal Wave :(

Rush is not Thorpe's fault. I think we all know why it isn't.

Colossus & Samuari have been closing regularly this season to allow "stuff" to be moved to Dylan. This has also been the case with Logger's Leap (which isn't on your list).

Slammer is hardly ever down you must've been REALLY unlucky.

Stealth- well erm... yeah- maintenance- you know :(

Tidal Wave is currently running on a weekends only basis :?

[url=http://www.reallyrollercoaster.co.uk/\" target=\"_blank]http://www.reallyrollercoaster.co.uk/[/url]

AstroDan

Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:23 pm

Yeah, Thorpe's reliability is waaaay better than Towers.

:roll:

bobblebob
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:33 pm

Ive been for the past 2 days. A couple of rides (air when i was on it, and nemisis) did break, but its only for 10 mins max

ReallyRollercoasterRules
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:36 pm

"AstroDan" wrote:
Yeah, Thorpe's reliability is waaaay better than Towers.

:roll:

Oh dear, spelling mistake- you're not fit to be a teacher :evil: :P

Anyway- I honestly think it is- or at least better than that at Chessington. Thorpe Park are up to date on the website but when Oblivion was closed for about a week nothing whatsoever turned up on the site. Which is disgraceful :evil:

So yes- Thorpe's reliability is waaaaaaaay better than Alton's :D

bobblebob
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:45 pm

During Air today when it broke one of the operators said it needs an engineer just to come down and clear an error. He didnt have to do physically do anything just mess with the computer to reset it.

Wouldnt it be easier to train the operators to be able to clear errors like this. Would save downtime?

ReallyRollercoasterRules
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:50 pm

"bobblebob" wrote:
During Air today when it broke one of the operators said it needs an engineer just to come down and clear an error. He didnt have to do physically do anything just mess with the computer to reset it.

Wouldnt it be easier to train the operators to be able to clear errors like this. Would save downtime?

I agree- plus the thing with Air is it happens LOADS #-o Every time EVER that I have queued for Air it has broken down. (Apart from once- but being stuck ON the ride wasn't much better :P )

bobblebob
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:56 pm

"ReallyRollercoasterRules""][quote=""bobblebob" wrote:

I agree- plus the thing with Air is it happens LOADS #-o Every time EVER that I have queued for Air it has broken down. (Apart from once- but being stuck ON the ride wasn't much better :P )[/quote]

One of the sensors in the restraints broke when i was there. So had to be taken out and the seat couldnt be used for the rest of the day.

John
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:00 pm

"ReallyRollercoasterRules" wrote:
So yes- Thorpe's reliability is waaaaaaaay better than Alton's :D

There are two different issues here, reliability and ride availability. Alton have reliability issues on air and rita. Thorpe on the other hand have ride availability issues - of my 7 visits to thorpe over the past 2 years, there's only been 1 time where all the rides opened.

Of the two, I'd rather have open rides that suffer breakdowns than rides closed entirely. With the exception of the skyride, its rare to see a ride at alton shut all day, whereas at thorpe its pretty much the norm.
Last edited by John on Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AstroDan

Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:01 pm

You will find that Air is the most tehnologically advanced rollercoaster in the country. Yes, it has downtime nearly every day of around 10-20 minutes - but the ride is so complex that any one of many dozens of mini faults trigger a ride stop. Air's reliability is really very good.

Air's reliability is nowhere near the problem Thorpe have encountered on many of their rides including Colossus, Stealth, Rush, Slammer and Quantum - all of which have had long periods of downtime at some point in the last 12 months.

The only Alton Towers rides that have had prolonged downtime over the past 2 years are Skyride and Runaway Train.

seanyboyuk
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:03 am

the question is then why have so many fancy computers eh?

Kaycee

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:14 am

Surely anyone who says Thorpe's reliability/availability is better than Alton's is either having a laugh/winding us up or has just been reeeeaaally freakishly lucky at Thorpe Park. Or not been during the last two seasons... :-? lol.

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:48 am

"seanyboyuk" wrote:
the question is then why have so many fancy computers eh?

Because technology advances!

Its the same with cars, each year they become more complicated and computerized. One day you wont have to drive anymore.

Its just the same for rollercoasters, they are becoming more mechanically and electrically complicated which can lead to more minor faults. But in theory these advances in technology are for our safety, improve ride experience, and "should" improve the reliability of rides.

kingcriplet
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:49 pm

I went to Thorpe in May and the ride availability was utterly shocking - at one point Stealth, NI, Colossos and Detonator were down all at the same time. It's a real shame Thorpe has been reduced to this as I'd love to visit again, especially for the fright nighs but really cant justify the expense and travelling time not knowing what the hell is going to be running :roll:

Back on topic though, I really dont think AT has anything to be worried about regarding reliability / availability of attractions :D

AltonThorpe
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:18 pm

Exactly, thats what i'm talking about :D

Twickenham Stadium

Dunny#1
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:43 pm

"kingcriplet" wrote:
I went to Thorpe in May and the ride availability was utterly shocking - at one point Stealth, NI, Colossos and Detonator were down all at the same time. It's a real shame Thorpe has been reduced to this as I'd love to visit again, especially for the fright nighs but really cant justify the expense and travelling time not knowing what the hell is going to be running :roll:

Back on topic though, I really dont think AT has anything to be worried about regarding reliability / availability of attractions :D

Yeah i agree wiht both of those statments. When i went in June, Stealth, Rush, Loggers Leap, Collosus (For two hours) and the other spinney one by the entrance (I can't remember lol) were closed!

AT does not seem to have anywhere near as much of a problem, in the last 5 years i ahve been there has only ever been one ride closed, and that was the Skyride becasue it burnt down the day before!

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:34 pm

Alton's ride reliability is in general very good, and ride availability is even better. Whenever I go to Alton every ride is open with the exception of the Skyride. Yes rides do suffer downtime throughout the day but any periods of downtime aren't that long most of the time.

Whenever I go to Alton I can be sure that all the rides will be open however if I'm going to Thorpe I'd be expecting several rides to be unavailable at some point throughout the day, if not for the whole day.