UK theme parks from another point of view!

pinkiep
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Annual Pass Holders...Do you ever get bored of visiting AT?

Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:40 pm

Hi,
My first time posting apart from a couple of times in quick questions so please be nice!

This might sound like a really daft question to be posting on this site but I'm going to ask anyway lol.My partner,his brother and myself bought AP's on Saturday when we visited for Scarefest and my partner said to me do you think you would ever get bored of the rides??Nah I replied....

Thinking about it though....is there only so many times you can go on say Nemesis without getting bored?I dont think I would ever get bored of the park itself because I just love the atmosphere so much but what about the rides?Do they lose their magic after a while?We live in Stoke so will probably be visiting quite often....opinions??

Wendy

Bolton Warrior
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Annual Pass Holders...Do you ever get bored of visiting AT?

Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:00 pm

Sometimes it is great to have 3 days on the trot at the park and other times the excitement of going after not having gone for while is just an awesome feeling.

As for getting bored of riding Nemesis, not a chance at all. I could ride it day after day, after day. Simply an amazing ride :D

Quickey
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:01 pm

Well I try to keep my visits to once every 3 weeks (although it has been less than that this year) and I don’t get bored of it. Admittedly I am bored of Air, but that is because it is a one trick pony, but all of the other rides including Oblivion, Hex and Duel, I am still in love with. Sometimes I will go to the park and only go on say 5 rides, because we just mess around doing other stuff, watch a show, sit and chill, but then again I can go to the park and get 30+ rides, so you can just do what you feel like, make every visit different and the place never looses its magic.

Hope you enjoy your Annual Pass!!!

furie
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:04 pm

Actually, yes, you can get bored with the rides. I tend to go to Alton as just a thing to do with the family - like people go to town shopping at the weekend.

I just go on whatever I fancy, and mope around unrushed. Knowing that if you don't go on Nemesis this time, or miss out on Oblivion makes the day much more enjoyable. Hell, you will probably be back in a weeks time if you fancy a coaster then.

This is why I like Alton - you don't get bored with actually visiting the park itself. You also learn to appreciate a lot more of the park than you do when trying to rush from one place to another to cram in as many goes on something as possible.

See, I couldn't get an AP for Blackpool, or even Thorpe as I'd be bored of the rides in a very few visits, then the parks offer very little else to do.

I'll often have an hour long picnic somewhere nice at Alton (on the grass by the lake of the sun is out is lovely), or sit and watch a show. No rush, not hassle, just do what you want.

If you do want to just ride and ride and ride - I think that yes, you'll get bored pretty quickly... Or at the least very frustrated with queueing lots...
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here

pinkiep
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:11 pm

Thats what I was thinking.The last couple of times we've been it has been a mad rush,running from ride to ride trying to pack it all in to the one day.Now we've got the AP's it doesnt have to be so manic and knackering lol!I'm looking forward to the day we can go and just wander around the gardens and so on. I could hardly walk on Sunday after Scarefest on Saturday!

sam07
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:35 pm

Ive had my pass for 13 weeks, and been 10 times.
It's getting a little boring, but in fairness I still go up. I tend to go millions of times in the half term, then less so in school time.
However I went yesterday after school - was mint ;)
[url=http://www.ithinkihaveswineflu.co.uk\" target=\"_blank]http://www.ithinkihaveswineflu.co.uk[/url]

ryansstuff
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:49 pm

Yer i noticed people saying that they don't rush anyone and do things that you usally woun't do. when i get mine i will probley do the same because you very quickly get you money worth.
Free flash games website: http://rybofun.com/
Roller Coaster mad: http://www.rollercoastermad.com

stigzy
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:15 pm

Yes I do get bored with Towers. At first, as with anything it was fresh, new and exciting! But now days, it's just become one of those things as Furie aptly put it "you just do"! Instead of lounging around at home watching TV doing not much else, its much better to be out in the open fresh air and top up your vitamin D levels! What better place to do that, than at a theme park packed with rides?! Admittldy, as already said some rides do quickly lose their appeal while others appeal more. You do tend to notice the small things too, and the small things aren't always pretty and can sometimes zap away the magic.

You do kind of feel special owning an annual pass however, especially when you can walk straight in the park for ERT while the paying minions have to queue and wait! And the fact you can come and go as you please. I once took a trip to Alton Towers (August this year) with 2 hours until ride close. I waltzed straight on in there, straight up to the Katanga Canyon shop, bought an ornament I'd noticed the previous few weeks back as part of the vast collection of my mum’s birthday presents! Paid for it (with the 20% discount), and walked straight back out there and went home.

It felt surreal but really cool that I'd just visited Towers which boosts the likes of Nemesis and Oblivion and to which most family's visit for a day out - all for the sake of some random merchandise! Lol! I actually drove past there the other week, and popped in for a loo break and a bottle of water... Random!

Dr Pop Rocket
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:21 pm

Yes and no. Last year I visited more times than I can remember and after a while I still enjoyed my visits but they did not feel as magical or interesting as they used to be. This year I've visited just a couple of times and I enjoy my visits a lot more and generally feel more excited about the entire experience. Certainly still worth having the AP though as it is a huge money saver.

Kelly
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:37 pm

Yup, i've gone through plenty of phases when i've been utterly sick of the park after constant visits. Usually fix this by not going for a while, then I start to really want to go again!

It has changed how I view Alton Towers by having an annual pass. There's been many a time when I've just popped up to say eat in Rita's chicken and ribs and do NO rides. Also I used to go to the hotels a lot at night to watch the entertainment, so the hotels have sort of lost their bus.

I think this is mainly because when I'm at home I live so close to the park its possible to make these random trips to have one ride and get something to eat, or go to the hotels for a drink. Now im living away at uni, I do miss going to the park a lot more. I can't simply 'pop in' now, despite having an annual pass, which in someways annoys the hell out of me, but its also increased my excitement when I do go, like for example this weekend, I was the most excited I've been for a long time, although this could also be due to the changes in the park taking it away from the norm.

So yes, like anything you do over and over, it can become boring, but I always seem to be able to spot it so I limit my visits, because I know sooner or later, I'l get the craving to go back, and rides like Nemmie will have their effects on me again, because their have been times when I've been on nemmie so many times, it looses all enjoyment and 'feeling'. But I think aslong as you don't overdue it, its all good. :)

FallenAbyss
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:40 pm

I tend to limit myself to once every couple of weeks tops, although there are periods where i'll go a bit more (next week for example and early on in the season).

Rideswise, I tend to go through spells of loving particular rides and if i'm getting bored of a particular ride i'll simply not ride it for a few visits.

The best thing undoubtedly about having the annual pass for me is knowing that I can go to the park get a few rides in on ERT and then if the park is insanely busy i'll go home knowing that next time i'll get on all the rides I could possibly want.

The great thing about towers is that there really is so much to do there and i've still not experienced it all (Extrodinary Golf and Carriba Creek spring to mind although that'll change over the winter months)

Some people frequent the pub on a regular basis to chill out, alton towers is my form of relaxing time and when going on coasters if i've had a bad week and i'm stressed, I can come home a lot more relaxed (weird I know ...)

I actually took a drive (an hour and twenty minutes) last night to Alton Towers to spend two hours on park not going on any rides at all and simply taking in the atmophere after reading peoples reviews of Scarefest and simply wanting to experience it for myself, there was an air of excitement that I'd not experienced since being a kid and going to Blackpool or Rhyl and it's something I could happily surround myself in time and time again.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/col_rftl/sets/72157626111847872/\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.flickr.com/photos/col_rftl/s ... 111847872/[/url]

seanyboyuk
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:41 pm

hmmm ive always wanted to get 1 but then i feel i have to visit to get my moneys worth. indeed the price is great compared to other parks.

Khanage
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:04 pm

I have often thought this. Infact on my recent trip to PA I found myself getting sick of the rides by the fifth day so yes I can see the same happening with AT. Unlike some people here I don't live so close to the park so an anual pass solely for the towers would be a waste of money for me, but I am considering a Merlin Pass for next year mainly due to the wide variety of attractions I can visit with it and don't risk getting bored with just one park. By the looks of it it also represents great value for money.
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

Dean

Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:30 pm

If i'm with people it's a good day, but if I go on my own i'd only manage a few hours before going home...

Kaycee

Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:31 pm

I never get bored of the park... yeah, I get bored of certain rides sometimes, or feel like I can't be bothered to walk all the way to Air/Oblivion and then through its queue. What happens is that I feel fine about missing certain rides in a day/weekend (i.e. it's not unusual for me to not ride Air at all over a weekend trip, or only ride Oblivion once or something), so I spend the day doing things that interest me more without feeling guilty that I've come all the way there and not done certain things.

Then when I do go on Air/Oblivion, I find it's not so boring.

I find having an annual pass allows me to enjoy the park/resort a lot more and do things I wouldn't normally do. If it's absolutely humping it down with rain by midday/1pm, I have no qualms about hopping on the Monorail back to the Hotels and sitting in Ma Garrita's or the Dragon Bar with a hot drink for a few hours. Many a visit I've spent a couple of hours sitting and having a laugh in the Tavern with a beverage, and I don't mind sitting down for a meal at Rita's Chicken and Ribs and whiling away an hour like that.

If I went back to my annual trips, I wouldn't be able to enjoy the park in this way.

One of my favourite memories of Alton Towers was a lovely sunny day back in April 2007. I was with the TTF gang, and we just took a couple of hours, found a large spot of grass in the Gardens in front of the Conservatories, and we just chilled out, took in the views, chatted and had a laugh and it was so lovely. A Picsolve employee ;) came and took a picture of us, and it was framed in the Towers Street Picsolve shop for the rest of the season because it was such a lovely shot. I'd really love to take a big picnic basket with loads of goodies in to sit with in the Gardens on a nice day at some point... unfortunately, such lovely days weather-wise are few and far between now. :(

Yeah so anyway I digress - I wouldn't swap having an annual pass and having these lovely relaxed days, for going back to once-a-year visits and having all the excitement and build-up, however much I miss it. So basically, I'm saying, you may get bored of certain rides, but it just frees up more time to enjoy everything else the park has to offer. And it helps if you have good company with you too. :)

AstroDan

Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:33 pm

Yes, and no. There's no point lying and saying that I still get excited everytime I get on any ride at Alton Towers, but to be honest, I have visited many parks many times. I just like being in them.

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:48 pm

I don't get bored really. Sometimes I feel I go a bit overkill on occasions, especially between April until August this year. Hence a brief period of no visits, then I kind of look forward to going again.

Each visit is seemingly different from the last. Either visiting with a few regulars, getting in a decent number of rides, but not rushing. Visiting with friends who go once a year, and rushing round like theres no tomorrow, or just chilling out, not rushing anywhere with 50+ people like the weekend just gone.

I like to keep and stop overs in the hotels to once or twice a year, just to keep things that extra bit special, though I do tend to visit for an hour or more after a day on park.

Some of my friends, work colleagues, family think I'm mad to visit so often, and can't understand how I don't get bored.

I guess another reason I don't really get bored is I see it as a form of escapism from everyday life hassles such as work etc. It is good that I have somewhere to go just to get away from it all for a day or 2, and not have anything to worry about, or at least try not to have anything to worry about :shock: , which is within a reasonable distance, and very easy for me to get to.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Urostealth
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:56 pm

Somehow, i don't get bored. The only ride not to go on three times in a row is oblivion. It just looses that feeling.

Me and my mate are seriously addicted. I've had my pass since June.

Matt
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:44 pm

I don't get bored of the park as such, I just sometimes loose the "magic" feel.
I like having a pass because I feel like there is no rush, it's not like when I was a kid visiting AT with my family, paying full price and only going once a year. Back then there wasn't time to appreciate the views, gardens, atmosphere and just walking round.

Now I certainly appreciate alton towers more, I could happily sit and watch a ride and get just as much enjoyment out of it as riding. Its great now when your tired of walking... you can STOP! :lol: theres no rush :D

So, in conclusion, I don't get bored of Alton Towers from visiting more than if I didn't own a pass because having a pass gives me the chance to appreciate things in the park that I wouldn't normally bother with.

:D

eddyfenton
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:55 pm

The good thing about having an AP and living nearby is that you can visit just for a walk around the gardens, a picnic, visit the hotels for a drink or watch the shows etc...

You can also be selective on the rides if queues are long, basically waiting until next time.

During events like Scarefest, you also don't have to pack everything into one or two days.

Sometimes visiting during the summer can be a little boring if on the theme park if all the queues are massive, but there is plently of other things to do like go for a swim or whatever.

Obviously, there are some things that you get 'bored' with and wouldn't do everytime you visit but overall you are either Alton Towers mad or not!

I never get bored with staying in the hotels as there is a bar, food and entertainment! What more could you want?