UK theme parks from another point of view!

Are you happy that the Corkscrew is going?

Poll runs till Thu Sep 19, 2047 10:57 am

Yes
34 (67%)
No
17 (33%)

Total votes: 51

jam&lob
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Are you happy that the Corkscrew is going?

Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:29 pm

Are you glad that the Corkscrew is going to make way for SW6 or would you prefer that AT kept the Corksrew and didn't build SW6?

Personnaly, I am happy that the Corkscrew is going because I believe that it's replacement will be much better.
Please visit The Online Games Directory
http://www.freewebs.com/togd/

ReallyRollercoasterRules
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Are you happy that the Corkscrew is going?

Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:30 pm

No I'm furious- build SW6 where The Flume is I say :twisted:
Really Rollercoaster- The Latest Theme Park News & Reviews

[url=http://www.reallyrollercoaster.co.uk/\" target=\"_blank]http://www.reallyrollercoaster.co.uk/[/url]

nvincer
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Yes, because it was far too uncomfortable when I rode it in mid-October, it looks tatty, and I'm sure Alton will deliver something even more special with SW6.

Ben

John
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:31 pm

I wouldn't say I'm happy its going, but I'm not really unhappy either, as long as the replacement lives up to expectations.

altontowers1
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:00 pm

NO! with a passion!
Carling cup winners 2011 Birmingham City fc \":)\"

Corkscrewed

Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:04 pm

Why do you have to be either happy or not about it? why can't you be neutral after all?

Ketchup
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:05 pm

Yes, as it's a piece of crap now.
Wait until 2010, and if the replacement is good no-one will give a rats ass about it.

And why do people seem to fall in love with a steel structure so much? You do realise there is an identical copy 100 miles up the road.

Chris1
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:27 pm

I will miss it, but at the end of the day it's needed in order for the park to move into a new era....

This move can only prove to be a good thing for both the park and enthusiasts IMO...

:)

Joe Koopa
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:28 pm

I voted yes but really I quite liked Corcky despite the pain! :evil:
Yet I can tell SW6 will be MASSIVE! :twisted:

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:29 pm

"ReallyRollercoasterRules" wrote:
No I'm furious- build SW6 where The Flume is I say :twisted:

Where do you suppose they build a new flume? You can't say not have one because every decent theme park has a flume, it would degrade AT.

Ollie
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:36 pm

I'm feeling quite neutral atm.

I'm happy it is going, as the Ride experience is awful and painful. And also by leaving it allows for a new development (SW6).

However Corkscrew was what created Alton Towers and therefore it deserves the recognition for its acheivments. I'm just hoping the new installment will be bigger and better than the Corkscrew was.

caffeine_demon
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:26 pm

i'll probably miss it - but i'm really looking froward to what sw6 will be!

towers freak

Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:31 pm

I have mixed feelings on this subject.
On one note i'm glad corkys going as its getting on a bit,and 28 years is long enough for a coaster of its caliber. We cant keep living in the past,all things come to an end eventually and its time to move on and look to the future.
On the other hand its quite sad to see it go. The coaster has been part of the land scape for 28 years and it will be strange with out it. AT won't be the same again with out her. The reason most people don't want It to go because of its nostalgia value. For most people she was their first ever coaster. It' truly was the most iconic rides of the 80's.

NickT04
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:59 pm

I will miss it, I've rode it quite a few times this year and didn't find it that rough. My head certain hasn't been bashed about.

Although I am a bit sad to see it go, if it means we get a world first in it's place, then it's more than a worthy cause. Plus being next to a modern ride like Rita really does show the age of the rides contruction up!

AstroDan

Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:36 pm

I would never allow a relic like Corkscrew to stand in the way of progress - specially not a Secret Weapon and even more so a World First rollercoaster!

That said, I am sad, it will be missed, mainly for its presence if not the ride.

RIP.

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:44 pm

I'm pleased that it's going as it looks like it's going to be replaced by a top class coaster, but I'm definitely going to miss it. Now that it's gone I wish that I'd gone on it more over the last few years, it may be rough but it's not a bad ride. I belive that Alton know what they are doing and removing it will be the right decision.

stigzy
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:26 pm

NO! Why should it get in the way of a future project? Alton Towers own more land than grand old thy, HRH Prince Stigzy Of Nottinghamshire! So why oh why any future projects couldn't be built in new area's I do not know! I know I for one would much rather see a brand new theme area as opposed to demolishing and replacing one and dismantling an Iconic roller coaster along the way.

The queues for the old girl was a bit short today, but they was for every ride. I know for a (made up) fact, that it would still be popular and still pull in the crowds had it not been cast in the shadows of Rita! Therefore in a way proving it's presence on the park and that any maintenance costs could be justified! Towers seem to be stuck. No Black Hole, and no Corkscrew, what’s next on the list without being replaced? How will Towers ever expand and become or remain :roll: the said UK's number one theme park if all they seem to do is 'shrink' or stay the same size...?

Me thinks this is just one last re-memorable stab in the heart from Barnes before he goes. No, the Corkscrew should not be going anywhere!
Last edited by stigzy on Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TB2
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:31 pm

Bit of both happy. I think progress is necessary and important but at the same time it is quite a cost to lose such an important ride in Alton's history. It also kind of awoke in me the fact that one day we're be attending the Nemesis farewell event. That will be a hard day :shock:

(BTW 100 miles to ride another Vekoma Corkscrew is quite a distance you know. Especially when you travel 180 miles in the first place to ride Alton's one :P )
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

Zylos
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:19 am

I have mixed feelings about it going, it was a good ride, but on the other hand I think it was getting old, and look at the state of it compared to Rita.

Right: Shouldn't really be saying this, but.
I was at Alton towers during the scarefest, I was in the queue for Nemesis and I was talking to a staff member for about 5 minutes while we were waiting. We talked about the removal of Corkscrew, I said do you know why it is going? He just said it's old and it's time for change, then he muttured uner his breath 'and it's un-stable' I can kind of see what he means though.

What do you all think?
Muay Thai, MMA, Dubstep, Photography and drumming.

on air
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:39 am

I hate to say it but am glad its going. Never been a fan of it.

Ok its got the history and that but would say I was more upset when the Black Hole went.
[url=http://www.fotowhizz.com\" target=\"_blank]www.fotowhizz.com[/url]