UK theme parks from another point of view!

AstroDan

Guest Services: Speed of a Snail

Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:16 pm

On Sunday, 9th November 2008, I left a bag in the paid-for lockers at Guest Services. When I returned, one of the items I left had vanished without trace. As a result, I filled in a form and was advised that because the theme park had now closed, I could expect a prompt reply.

I am still waiting - tried calling today but no answer.

Has anyone else had similar problems? I am not very happy I have been kept waiting for the past 5 weeks at all, really and they owe me a £10 T Shirt.

:(

Big Dave

Re: Guest Services: Speed of a Snail

Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:55 pm

To be fair most of the people will be breaking up for their holidays now and in addition unless you can prove it was in your bag before you handed it to them, there is practically nothing you can do as Alton can just deny it all saying you most not have put it in the bag in the first place.

Its the same has when you buy something. Unless you have the receipt proving you brought something, we can just deny all knowledge of it . So if you ever see that shirt again or even heard from Alton, you will be very lucky.

AstroDan

Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:55 pm

I was advised that the £3.00 charge is for "insurance reasons" when I handed it to them... and anyway, who cares on what they will say, the fact is they haven't actually bothered to reply!

If Alton accuse me of being a liar, well I will take it to the highest precipice of the highest office! I very much doubt they will accuse that though...

You are saying I will be lucky to hear from Alton?! That doesn't say much for their Guest Services. I was told they would reply promptly.

"To be fair" I have been waiting 5 weeks.

Big Dave

Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:29 pm

The £3 is not for insurance at all has you will be told that anything left is at your own risk. Alton Towers will never take responsibility of your items and Alton wont accuse you of being a liar, they will just say that you must not have had the item in your bag when you handed it over and suggest you look else where for it.

Jase
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:33 pm

Yes, Alton Towers are absoloubtly shocking when it comes to things like this. Not only is it very poor customer service, it's generallly rude!
We made a complaint in the hotel over Halloween, gave our details and informed that we would be contacted in due course, promised 'free tickets' (tut tut) and yet, still no correspondance..

AstroDan

Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:34 pm

Well Dave, I was wrongly informed.

Nice to see some compassion. The main issue here is that they haven't replied in 5 weeks...

stokywolf
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:36 pm

I'v heard that there trying too trace up a missing moustache for some German UNT. So far they say it was last seen in Paris? It can be difficult but they must do these things one at a time especially with tashes.
Tavern hall of famer - rockerz my sockerz

Ash
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:42 pm

Dan, can you honestly say your surprised?

You should of run after a week, shocking customer service yet again. I imagine after everyone went home for the closed season there were no notes left, and nobody in guest services anyway of following things up.

Thank god they dont work in a trade business they would be skint.

Not making follow up phone calls can be a terrible mistake

AstroDan

Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:19 pm

I will be calling them on Monday. However, I have had a lot on my plate and can't easily ring during my working day.

Will keep all updated!

Luce
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:29 pm

Sorry to hear about your experience Dan. I've never had a problem leaving my bag at Guest Services but that doesn't excuse the long wait you've had so far.

I hope you get a result soon and that it turns out to be the one you're after.

BULBOUS
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:43 pm

I've always found Guest Services a bit of a joke at Alton TBH - not that I've ever needed them desperately, but it's such a dismal little pokey building right in the corner of the park with a single entrance and exit, just big enough to squeeze through if there's noone waiting there - and there's often a queue stretching about halfway over Towers Street.

It should be a welcoming, bright, more open place with more space inside so that people don't have to queue in the rain to get a response. And, of course, the service should be improved, as the complaint which started this, and the lack of any response to e-mails, or any communication whatsoever between booking, office, reservations, etc shows.

There also used to be a Guest Services booth type thing in Forbidden Valley (unless my memory's going) - between where BK is now and Forbidden Treats. I've never understood why that wasn't turned into Sales & Information - after all, would it not make sense to allow people to buy fastrack when they're near rides they want to go on? They could sell a hell of a lot of Fastracks there, and it'd be great to have another base to expand on S&I, along with improving service in general. :D
Adjective: Fat, round, or bulging.

AstroDan

Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:46 pm

It was a Mini Day Designer in 2007, but they scrapped it.

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:05 am

Guest Services at Alton are poor, I sent them an e-mail over a month ago and I never got a reply. Also I thought everything had been sorted regarding them sending me a new Corkscrew poster however on Friday there was a message on the answer phone asking for me to confirm my address, and the person who left the message was saying about sending a T-shirt when it's a poster I'm after.

Dan, if it's a Corkscrew T-shirt that they owe you then apparently they've just got some more stock of them so will hopefully send one to you next week.

Chris-TT

Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:54 pm

Dan i would send an email if i was you. They tend to take written queries/complaints more seriously.
There was a guest service hut for a few seasons i think it was taken out in 2004/5. It was where the day designer hut was.

Mr Hyde
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:17 pm

Money money money though.
It isn't just about where Guest Services can go, as there is plenty of space around Towers Street, but the difficulty is where to put whatever they would kick out.

I emailed a few months ago and got a reply straight away. But I guess it depends what you said on the form. I used to work in an email based service desk where a lot of emails were simply junk < from real people, not machines! We replied directly to about 50% of the emails that arrived on the service desk, while another 30% were asking people to write to the correct place or write to the complaints department while a small, but ever so staggering 20% of emails were simply ignored as they were simply nothing that NEEDED a reply. Time spent replying to people who sent emails that didn’t really warrant a response wasted time spent replying to someone with genuine concern.

The same went for written complaints. I mean, what can Alton say that you don't already know? "Sorry, if you can't prove the t-shirt was in the bag then we can't replace it". But then again, the expectation is a written reply, especially if it was at least hinted at, at the time? If I write to a company, I expect a reply within three weeks or so (that seems to be the standard these days), unless of course I specifically state that I'm not looking for a reply!

But yeah, give them a call or email as writing will take longer, although writing always seems more official then either of the others.
[size=75]i want to be uploaded

Kaycee

Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:48 pm

I'm a bit baffled as to how the t-shirt has gone missing from a closed bag. :-? Are you suggesting someone's taken it?

AstroDan

Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:53 pm

"Kaycee" wrote:
I'm a bit baffled as to how the t-shirt has gone missing from a closed bag. :-? Are you suggesting someone's taken it?

It was a plastic Alton Towers carrier. And basically, yes I am as there was no other alternative.

I bought my T Shirt from the Towers Suite, with a poster, and placed both in teh bag and put them into the paid for facility for the rest of the day. Upon retrieving the bag, the T Shirt had gone.