UK theme parks from another point of view!

tumtum
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Alton Towers Old Website

Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:23 pm

Do you all remeber the old Alton Towers website which did take ages to open but was brilliant on there. It had loads of ride pages good information and the park map did work when you want to download it and it was a lot like Towers Times or other fan sites. Because the new website is cra* and it just dose not have any information on rides or anything else. I loved the old website but not the new one what do you think?

Thanks
Tumtum
[/b]

Big Dave

Re: Alton Towers Old Website

Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:52 pm

[url=http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://altontowers.com" target="_blank]http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://altontowers.com[/url]

tumtum
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:05 pm

Thanks for that only that website was not working very well but the old sites i did get onto were brillinat. Thanks alot.
[/b]

Mattchu123
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:36 am

The good thing i liked about the old website was that it would give information on what rides were unavailable on the day! So if i wanted to go i could check to see what rides were down e.g. if rita and air were down then i wouldn't go! But with the new site it does not display this information so i could go all the way there to find rides are down!

It happened the once i went and found rita closed in the morning, rapids closed all day and Oblivion was closed all day! If the website had displayed this i would of come a different day saving me time and money!

tumtum
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:53 am

Yh same here i went and Oblivion and Rita and Dule was broken down it was so bad that day with out them rides. The Thorpe Park website has that on it and that is very helpfull. I think the Alton Towers website needs changeing.

Thanks
Sam
[/b]

Thomas
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:32 am

I'm sure when the park is open though, they use the 'Latest News:' bar along the top to display closed rides?

The sites alright at the moment, at least it all ties in with their marketing with the golden pips etc. However i much preferred the 2005 site.

Anonymous

Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:47 pm

Lots of broken links on the way back machine - The working ones are displayed below:- *Click to enlarge*

1999/2000

2002/2003

NickT04
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:15 pm

Pre 2005 websites really were awful!

Mr Hyde
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:28 pm

^ SO were most :P
[size=75]i want to be uploaded

Mattchu123
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:04 pm

"Thomas" wrote:
I'm sure when the park is open though, they use the 'Latest News:' bar along the top to display closed rides?

The sites alright at the moment, at least it all ties in with their marketing with the golden pips etc. However i much preferred the 2005 site.

Yes they do have the latest news bar but i have never seen closed rides advertised on this, it always seems to be about deals for hotels and tickets! :(

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:25 pm

Not once all season has the latest news bar been used to show which rides are unavailable. Credit to THORPE PARK and Chessington, the only UK theme parks which do this. :clap:

NickT04
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:58 pm

From what I read on this forum, Thorpe HAVE such a info bar, such is their ride reliability!

AstroDan

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:47 pm

Alton Towers ride availability is very good compared to Thorpe Park. They have used their update bar on several occasions during the season to warn guests of downtime. However, such is their ride availability, such measures are few and far between.

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:56 pm

I miss the flash website they used to have with the virtual map and the doors.

Anyone remeber those?

Jon
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:45 pm

I quite liked the 2002-2003 website. The 2004 remix made it look like a tabloid. The 2005 one was kinda classy but a bit boring and didn't show the park off enough. 2007's was a navigational nightmare/purple explosion, but was sortof likeable. I think the one we have now is possibly the best, but some more flash and interactive stuff like videos wouldn't go a miss either.
Formerly "Dagoo"

Thomas
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:46 pm

"Wes" wrote:
I miss the flash website they used to have with the virtual map and the doors.

Anyone remeber those?

Yes! With 4 doors was it, one for the hotel, one for the park and the other two i can't quite remember, maybe their was two for each hotel?

Can remember it had something with the park logo and air in the background whizzing around along the top.

seaneth
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:17 am

"Mattchu123" wrote:
Yes they do have the latest news bar but i have never seen closed rides advertised on this, it always seems to be about deals for hotels and tickets! :(

Advertising the Hotels and Tickets adds more potential customers to the park. Telling people that some rides aren't operating isn't really gonna persuade people to buy tickets. Although, we have a right to know.. For example, I visited *another park* last year, and one of the major rides there was closed all day. Didn't find out until I arrived. ¬_¬

The new website is too.. Corporate. Not very interactive, and doesn't sell the product well. Thats my opinion anyway.

^^ I agree with Dagoo, more flash and interactive stuff would be good.

Corkscrewed

Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:50 pm

the thing I liked about some of the old sites was just how much information they gave you on the rides, especially the Flash monster of 2007 which had videos too. Now TTs brilliant for all that but I used to love going to Altons site to see there perspective on what they offer, somehow I don't think they do it that very well with the one line of info they do now. That said the site of 2007 was painful for my computer :P

NF2
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:44 pm

The 2002/2003 sites were by far the best, they were full of features, info and quirky stuff you wouldn't see on a site now, such as the doors like Wes mentioned. It actually had decent park info, plenty of pictures, rather than just stock photos, and loads of videos. If you ever watch the adverts and videos on TT with "altontowers.com" below the screen, they used to be and were probably found on the old site.

Altons current site could be great, but i'd say ts the weakest of the three Merlin Parks. Thorpes particlarly seems to have reglar updates, whilst Altons can go months withou an update! Last year the Carribbean Beach Party was on the advert panel 3 weeks after the event ended :shock:

LiamSAFC

Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:36 am

On a sub-topic (if you will), I've found some of the old Oblivion microsite from '98 :D

[url=http://web.archive.org/web/19981206094348/http://www.oblivion.com/" target="_blank]http://web.archive.org/web/199812060943 ... ivion.com/[/url]